• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Raijin TPB reviews

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:50 pm Reply with quote
What I didn't like about City Hunter at first was that Ryo's opponents were too easy for him to defeat, but once Umibozu comes in, the series gets a little more balanced.

Your loved the First President of Japan a little too much man. Is there something you're not telling us? ^_-

As for Blue Sky, I'll admit everything with the old man was repetitive, cus he keeps coming back to life, but it gets better once he heads back to Hong Kong.

Slam Dunk's the one manga which has actually been slowing down as I keep reading it. (It's cus Inoue takes forever on each game.)
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:03 am Reply with quote
Can you buy the Raijin manga at stores or do you have to order them off the website? I have yet to see any of the mangas and the release date was back in June.
John Jakala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Your loved the First President of Japan a little too much man. Is there something you're not telling us?

C'mon - how can you not love a guy who still looks good even with a slightly-receding hairline? And he looks damned good in a suit!

Louie-kun: I don't see any of the Raijin GNs on any of the big websites (Amazon, B&N, Buy.com), and I can't keep track of all of Raijin's distribution deals, so I don't know if the GNs will be in mainstream brick-&-mortar bookstores. But they should be available in better comic specialty shops (just came out last week after a printing delay).
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:40 pm Reply with quote
John: Can you also review the FOTNS Master Edition?
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:39 am Reply with quote
Yes, the FOTNS Master Editions are so cool.

I thank all that is holy, as a huge fan of the series, that they are being released.

I currently own the first three, and I know the fourth is out, and I think the fifth may or may not be, too.

I need the fourth, as Rei apperes in it.....yes, indeed.

If ya want a review of it, ill give ya a quick one, even thoug I probably have no actual skills in reviewing, and certainly have no jorunalistic tallents.

I didn't spell that right, either, oh well.

Anyways.

If your a fan of FOTNS, then the Master Edition's are a dream come true.

I remember reading the old black and whites I got from Viz, and then, reading these, you can tell alot of care and time was taken into making them good.

I believe they are good, they are printed on glossy stock paper, which is a good form of paper to use, and each one comes with a removable slip cover (I have mine currently removed and placed in a safe place, so they dont get messed up).

The actually work, itself is good, too.

These are not the same as the Viz black and whites from the earlier 90's, these are unflopped, with color, and it is added in very well, to bring the true artistc vision of Hara Tetsuo and Buronson to paper.

Throughout the master editions, you will see pictures of hand drawn artwork by Hara, and even a few pictures of him, you will also see an add for the next edition.

The best thing I like is that each move done by a martial artist, like Kenshiro's Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken (The North Star Hundred Crack Fist, I believe is what they call it) is said in japanese, and a small subtitle is off on the image saying its name, so that you can get a full sense of the moves name, and, they even place the translated names on an unimportant part of the image, so as not to cover anything up and take away from the story.

I would recommend for any fan of the series, or a fan just now reading Souten no Ken (Fist of the Blue Sky), and wanting to check it out, at least buy the first one, it will blow your mind, it did mine.

While not being perfect, from what has been released of FOTNS in america, these are a dream for a fan, the first Master Edition is $14.95 dollers, along with the second, while consecutive ones are $17.95.

The special low price for the first two is a special deal for the first two to get new and old fans alike back into the series.

Well, that's my review, not alot is wrong with the Master Edition's, the glossy paper makes it easy to read off of, the covers are pretty hard to last along time, and, best of all, some of the covers have new artwork by Hara, himself.

I love them, anyways.

Now, if only I could watch Souten no Ken.....gomen....

EDITED NOTE:
I forgot to mention this, but, being in color does mean that the FOTNS Master Edition's do contain images of blood, gore, and internal organs, you will also see alot of blood, and, in the first one, someone gets decapitated, aswell as an arrow thrown back into someones eye (yeah, Kenshiro uses his Nishi Shinkuu Ha).

So, I do give these book's a Mature Reader rating, too.

But, then again, all of FOTNS is given a Mature Rating, I believe.
John Jakala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
John: Can you also review the FOTNS Master Edition?

No plans to, but maybe I'll check it out the next time I'm at the shop. Of course, the last thing my budget needs is another series to read/collect...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1