• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Winter 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagi21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
I remember watching previous 12 part adaption series of this, it was pretty nice. One of the things that really stood out was the vast difference of animation styles in the episodes.

Someone earlier mention a sign of changing times with this new version, I agree with that. Always interesting to see different takes on timeless eastern novels like this though so I don't mind going through it again with this new series.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's a pretty unique anime as far as art an animation go. I forgot the animator, but he's that one that everyone knows for melty characters and fluidity. It's a sakuga anime for sure.

Shinya Ohira? He only did one episode, the tenth. I've lost count of how many people have criticised that one for having "bad animation", despite actually having great animation, just because it was so radically different from the rest.

Masaaki Yuasa also worked on an episode.

Not much to say about the new adaptation, except that I'm not terribly interested in it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'll check out Hakkenden, but it's not one of the titles I'm jonesing for. I've promised myself to be a bit more brutal about dropping titles that aren't floating my boat in a big way this Winter, because I want to start slaying more of my physical backlog and I can't do that if I'm following 24 freaking shows a season.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I have a copy of the OVA that Geneon released, I got through 4 episodes then kind of lost interest. It wasn't bad, it just didn't seem that interesting.

The basic story was also used in the live-action film Message From Space which, though a lot of people have great nostalgia for it from seeing it in their childhood, I found to be mostly an insane piece of crap.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Not to be pessimistic but this season looks really boring. At the very most some of them look decent, but nothing really stands out to me at all.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I.... still don't get what the show is about lol.
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
At the very least, we've got the second season of Chiyahafuru incoming. So that already makes this a better-than-average season for me. Smile
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Why does it remind me to spoiler[Mawaru Penguindrum] so much?
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
eyeresist wrote:
reanimator wrote:
This is not the first time the Hakkenden legend is made into anime. There was Hakkenden anime that came out in 90's. Pioneer/Geneon released the DVD years ago.

Glad someone remembered this. That OVA series has been in my wishlist for some time, but I was never quite interested enough to pull the trigger. If anyone's interested, I think cheap copies are still available through RightStuf.

It's a pretty unique anime as far as art an animation go. I forgot the animator, but he's that one that everyone knows for melty characters and fluidity. It's a sakuga anime for sure.

Nah, I doubt most anime fans care much about animators and other staff.

You mean that Shinya Ohira and Masaaki Yuasa combo episode?

I don't know why the word, "Sakuga", has become the definition of Japanese animation in experimental stage. It deviates its original meaning without much thought. Like the word, "anime", has become de facto definition for Japanese animation when it simply means animation or cartoon. Again, it's the westerners who label things without much consideration.

I'll use Peter Chung's statement:

The term Sakuga contains no inference to animation at all. It means "work drawing" or "production drawing". A page of manga can be called Sakuga as can a book illustration. The example at the beginning of the talk is exactly backwards. The shot of a sliding held cel is purely sakuga. The second example is sakuga with animation. Every genga-man produces sakuga, even the least able. However, not every genga-man produces animation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
For the purposes of how we're going to use it, it means "GOODERER ANNIEMAYSHUN".
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Hagenai Next: Some of the character pictures don't match the descriptions.

Quote:

Yukimura Kusunoki
VA: Nozomi Yamamoto
A freshman at St. Cronica Academy High School. He aims to be a man amongst men, and calls himself Kodaka's apprentice. Because he looks and acts like a beautiful girl, his peers don't understand how to behave around him and keep their distance. He obeys anything Kodaka says, but his misunderstandings and jumping to conclusions causes him a bit of trouble. He's a history nut, and loves military generals.

....wearing a maid costume? Doesn't this character aspire to be a "man among men" and admire military generals? is that the correct character?

Quote:
Kobato Hasegawa
VA: Kana Hanazawa
A sophomore at St. Cronica Academy Middle School, and Kodaka's little sister. She takes strongly after her British mother, inheriting both her blonde hair and blue eyes.....(snip)

I see the blond hair, but the person pictured is heterochromatic. Contact lenses?

--and is the nun supposed to be a catholic nun? 'cause I don't think the catholic church accepts novices at age 10. Even if they do, novices habits are usually white aren't they?

Lastly, is this show being streamed anywhere legally? Maybe if I saw the first half I wouldn't be asking these questions, but I haven't seen this title anywhere...
shabaz92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Lastly, is this show being streamed anywhere legally? Maybe if I saw the first half I wouldn't be asking these questions, but I haven't seen this title anywhere...
Funimation has the legal streams for season one last I checked. Don't know if they'll get the 2nd season, but it's still kinda early for streaming news.

For the first question, yes those character descriptions are correct. It's part of the charm of the show.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Quote:

Yukimura Kusunoki
VA: Nozomi Yamamoto
A freshman at St. Cronica Academy High School. He aims to be a man amongst men, and calls himself Kodaka's apprentice. Because he looks and acts like a beautiful girl, his peers don't understand how to behave around him and keep their distance. He obeys anything Kodaka says, but his misunderstandings and jumping to conclusions causes him a bit of trouble. He's a history nut, and loves military generals.

....wearing a maid costume? Doesn't this character aspire to be a "man among men" and admire military generals? is that the correct character?

Quote:
Kobato Hasegawa
VA: Kana Hanazawa
A sophomore at St. Cronica Academy Middle School, and Kodaka's little sister. She takes strongly after her British mother, inheriting both her blonde hair and blue eyes.....(snip)

I see the blond hair, but the person pictured is heterochromatic. Contact lenses?

--and is the nun supposed to be a catholic nun? 'cause I don't think the catholic church accepts novices at age 10. Even if they do, novices habits are usually white aren't they?

The descriptions are correct. You'll have to see season 1 before even watching season 2. It's chronological. And Kobato is all that matters
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Yes, FUNi streams the first series on their website, Hulu, and Youtube.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the preview video of Hagenai Next several times and can't wait for it. I'm wondering if Yozora's hair will ever grow back by the end of the series though..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11