• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Mari Iijima

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In doing so, Iijima made history by becoming the first Japanese voice actress to reprise a major role (its been done with minor roles) in the English dub of a Japanese anime.

Puchiko was a minor role? Well, it's true that Di Gi Charat hasn't been that popular in the U.S. but... I'm confident the people here would beg to differ with you. Hmm, I don't really have any interest in Macross, but I have heard some of Mari Iijima's music. Of course, one of my favorites being her performance of "Eternal Love 2002/2003" from the Galaxy Angel video games (except that little rapping kid annoys the hell out of me).
space clam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Prepare for the ultimate nitpick, but is there a reason her picture on the front page isn't a link?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ThirdWizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
She gave a little mini-concert panel at 2004's Anime Weekend Atlanta. I enjoyed it a lot! Smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
can she speak full english? i'm just curious cause she does in The Anime Network promos.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
can she speak full english?

Christopher Macdonald wrote:
In 1989 you moved to Los Angeles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
oh, i didn't see that part.
birdboy2000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't exactly call Pikachu a minor role, either. Though it might not count as "reprising", per se. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Puchiko was a minor role? Well, it's true that Di Gi Charat hasn't been that popular in the U.S. but... I'm confident the people here would beg to differ with you.

Miyuki Sawashiro only was Puchiko in English for "Leave it to Piyoko", and she wasn't even in all eight episodes (Mia Bradly took over for the last two).
Mind you, I haven't seen "Leave it to Piyoko", but it seems that this is one Dejiko-related series where Puchiko doesn't have a major part.

Whereas in Macross, Minmay is definitely one of the top leads, and Mari Iijima will most likely be voicing her for all 36 episodes. Anime smile;

birdboy2000 wrote:
I wouldn't exactly call Pikachu a minor role, either. Though it might not count as "reprising", per se. Anime smile

It's not like Ikue Ohtani ever recorded any new pikachu noises for the English dub, so no. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
birdboy2000 wrote:

It doesn't count as reprising.

I was perfectly aware of both Puchiko and Pikachu when I wrote that intro. I had forgotten about Puchiko when I wrote the first article about this, last year, and several people were very quick to point out my error.

-t
fxg97873

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Mari's is so hot! I was lucky enough to attend ADV's screening of Macross at the Alamo Draft House in Houston, TX and was floored when she entered the theater with Vic! Total Surprise!
She looks like she's 30 and not 40 something. Very nice lady too (she sat in the row in front of me so I got to see and hear all her expressions and comments, yay!)

p.s That photo seems a bit compressed.

mk2000
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1