• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
War anime recommendations.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hadou-ken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
RETRANSLATION: I am looking for a "war" anime, or something based on war. I'm not looking for anything high-tech like Gundam, but more so with just people and guns.

[EDIT: Made your post legible and tweaked the topic a little, in hope that it will make more sense for everyone. -TK]
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
RETRANSLATION: Are you looking for actual, historical wars or just some kind of imaginary one?

[EDIT: Fixed your grammar and reprhased the question a bit. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Luminal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Contemporary war anime without big robots? I am not aware such thing exists.

I know of a slightly hi-tech special forces anime called Firestorm. And I also know of a French Rennaisence anime called Lady Oscar or Fleur de Versailles.

Medieval war there's plenty though, like Berserk.

But contemporary war... none that I know of.

Luminal
Nani?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Medium Robots but in a fairly realistic setting Gasaraki. Note this moves very slowly but contains a lot of RW hardware and a heavy socio-political edge.

Macross 0: resembles updated WW2 Carrier warfare in a lot of ways.

Last Exile: Very interesting war. The technology is very much like pre WW1 Europe except with flight carriers and empathis on Aviation.

Saikano: Near future war, very depressing.

The Japanese tend avoid WW2 combat stories, especially since the younger generation is not very well informed and well, it didn't go well for them.

All the best,

Nani?
pigger_benis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Now and Then, Here and There.

However, the focus isn't really on the war itself, but there should be enough action to keep you interested.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:

The Japanese tend avoid WW2 combat stories, especially since the younger generation is not very well informed and well, it didn't go well for them.

The one exception being <i>The Cockpit</i> (three 'short stories', of which one is a quickie exercise in European-theater alternate history, but the other two deal with both ground and air combat in the Pacific). <i>Arcadia of My Youth</i> also includes a World War 2 segment, and I believe one of the titles in the Animated Classics of Japanese Literature is a war story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nani?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Nani? wrote:

The Japanese tend to avoid WW2 combat stories, especially since the younger generation is not very well informed and well, it didn't go well for them.

The one exception being The Cockpit (three 'short stories', of which one is a quickie exercise in European-theater alternate history, but the other two deal with both ground and air combat in the Pacific). Arcadia of My Youth also includes a World War 2 segment, and I believe one of the titles in the Animated Classics of Japanese Literature is a war story.

I also forgot about Zipang, the story of a modern SDF missle cruiser traveling back in time to the night before Midway. I think it's available via fansub, I truely wonder if it will ever be liscensed because well.....you know.

All the Best,

Nani?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was about to suggest Martain Successor Nadesico but that dwells more on people and comedy than warfare. But it is still a good series, it is one that you can consider for a later date if you don't want to watch it now.
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Area 88, guys. It focuses more on the mercenaries employed in a desert conflict than on military groups, but it's the most down-to-earth war-themed anime I can think of.
MasterRoshiX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Wars you ask?

Suggestions:

Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal
Set during the downfall of the Tokugawa Shogunate and telling of Kenshin's childhood and young adult life. It's much more realistic, violent, and has a much more mellow mood when compared to the series Rurouni Kenshin.

Grave of the Fireflies
Taking place towards the end of World War II in Japan, Grave of the Fireflies is a tale of the relationship between two orphaned children, Seita and his younger sister Setsuko. The children lose their mother in the firebombing of Kobe, and their father in service to the Imperial Japanese Navy, and as a result they are forced to try to face the suffurings of their journey ahead. Truly one of the greatest anime films ever made.
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Samurai X doesn't really focus on the war at all, however, and it certainly isn't fought like a typical war. Grave of the Fireflies doesn't focus on the war, either. It depends on what you're looking for, specifically.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
MasterRoshiX wrote:
Wars you ask?

Suggestions:

Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal
Set during the downfall of the Tokugawa Shogunate and telling of Kenshin's childhood and young adult life. It's much more realistic, violent, and has a much more mellow mood when compared to the series Rurouni Kenshin.

Grave of the Fireflies
Taking place towards the end of World War II in Japan, Grave of the Fireflies is a tale of the relationship between two orphaned children, Seita and his younger sister Setsuko. The children lose their mother in the firebombing of Kobe, and their father in service to the Imperial Japanese Navy, and as a result they are forced to try to face the suffurings of their journey ahead. Truly one of the greatest anime films ever made.

Grave of the Fireflies is an excellent film. If there had been an animation catagory when this movie was released, it would have won hands down. Period.

It is also one of the saddest movies that I have ever seen, live-action or animated. This is not just a five-hankie movie, it is the ENTIRE BOX OF TISSUES!!

It's still beautifully animated and the story line is wonderful even when there are no words, just silent visuals. I think you'll really enjoy this.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
I'll mention this one though I believe the odds of finding the anime (let alone an English subbed version) are slim to none: "Konpeki no Kantai". My translation of that is "The Deep Blue Fleet" or "The Deep Blue Squadron". I believe there was a series of novels and perhaps a manga. Have seen mention of a game. The premise is that the IJN - Imperial Japanese Navy - secretly builds and comissions a class of super subs with revolutionary propulsion systems prior to commencing war with the USA. The vessels had underwater capabilities similar to German type XXi U-boats. My grasp of technical Japanese is shakey and I certainly didn't figure out everything when I saw two episodes of the OVA a little under a decade ago. A friend had purchased the LD - laser disc - which had been imported from Japan. The episodes covered two pet projects of the IJN high command: attack the US fleet at sea with subs during the night as it departs Pearl Harbour to take on an oncoming Japanese fleet and bomb the locks of the Panama Canal with seaplane bombers transported there by submarines.

Oh yeah...I did a search for a handful of pre-19th century names and battles from Japanese history in the ANN encylopedia. Didn't find anything.

Almost forgot: "The Harp of Burma". There is an anime based on the novel. I believe the live action movie was released in 1956. The story focuses on a platoon of Japanese soldiers in Burma near the end of WWII.

One more impossible to find title: "Norakuro". A wartime, i.e.: from the time of the Japanese invasion of China until 1945, manga following the exploits of a black dog who ended up a soldier in the Japanese army (all the characters in the manga were animals). According to the ANN encyclopedia the character was revived a couple of times in post-war anime.
Phyrain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:21 am Reply with quote
Submarine revolution:707, something like that. It focuses all about subwarfare and very few things that don't exist yet, Ex. A.I. subs, and a super carrier. You can find this in english. There is alot of detail, I would say depth, but do to a bad pun, in the combat scences. I've only seen the first two eps. and I liked it very much from the get go. It might not have any land battles, but there is alot of knowledge going into the sub battles.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
Saikano is one you should check out. Also one of the saddest anime series I've ever seen.

Not ANIME, but animated is "Roughnecks: The Starship Trooper Chronicles", which (unlike the pathetic movie) is good...even though it is vastly different from the book "Starship Troopers".

Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, and Banner of the Stars II are a trilogy of series that is war-themed.....and VERY VERY good (if you are any sort of serious Science Fiction fan, these series are spot on as well).

Record of Lodoss War OVA, and Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (TV) are two other war-themed items you should look for as well.

Escaflowne is a good war-themed series (as well as movie). Though like with RoLW, it is more swords than guns.

That's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7