• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-03-17]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Who saw this one coming?

*raises hand*

I'm a big Bleach fan and it saddens me to see these kinds of letters/posts. The funny thing is, I've seen a bunch in here on ANN but none of the site for the fansub group who's version I watched and none on AnimeNation. If they do as good a job on Bleach as they did on Naruto (dub wise), I'll be content.

I don't expect Bleach to be edited very much for the TV version. I'm expecting it to go on Adult Swim so a few blood edits in the bloodier scenes are all that will really be needed. If it goes on Toonami it will be edited more, but it still won't be 'butchered' by any means. And there is always, of course, the uncut DVD release.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Oh noez! Dead kitten! Crying or Very sad

I have a feeling that no matter how many times you answer the "Why don't anime companies do this?" question, they'll still ask it 15 more times.

Here's a blanket answer to the above: It's a matter of economics. If you've taken any economy course, you know that one of the most important things you learn is that There's No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Anything you do comes at a cost of what you could have been doing, even if neither option has monetary value. Right now, what the anime companies are doing are more cost-efficent that what's being suggested.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They might elect to do a brief theater run, a'la what they're doing now with Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn, but given the truncated DVD release window, I'm skeptical about that.

If Sodenbergh can do it, I don't see why FUNi can't.

Quote:
If we look at what happened with Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh!, fans were asking for subbed DVDs for years and upon release didn't actually buy them (or there simply wasn't as much interest in these as the internet might have suggested).

Um, actually they did buy them, and there was interest, but Al Kahn thinks kids don't like to read.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Um, actually they did buy them, and there was interest, but Al Kahn thinks kids don't like to read.

UM

No they didn't. Those DVDs sold very poorly.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If we look at what happened with Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh!, fans were asking for subbed DVDs for years and upon release didn't actually buy them (or there simply wasn't as much interest in these as the internet might have suggested).

As previously stated, there was a large interest in the uncut DVDs of the shows. They actually did fairly well (and from what I've heard, even 4kids acknowledged that they did well in the market) and outsold their edited dub-only counterparts [for Yu-Gi-Oh at least].

The real reason that they were stopped was because of money issues between FUNimation and 4kids. To summarize from what I've heard, 4kids essentially got greedy with the uncuts and what nearly all of the profits from the DVDs, and that did'nt exactly sit too well with FUNi.

I know I don't have a many details on the situation, but it should still be noted that there WAS interest in uncut Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh.

EDIT: Blarg, posted around the same time as Zac. Are you really sure? I mean, sure when I say "well in the market" I don't mean, "#1 best seller" or anything like that, but I thought that those DVDs had some fairly decent sales. Question
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Who saw this one coming?

Me, I did.

And the usual ranting by the few fanboys/girls who can't believe their favorite show has just been licensed continues...
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
*pats live kitten, mourns the dead kitten* Answerman, I realize (and I HOPE) that kitten isn't dead, but...be prepared for the onslaught of PETA love letters you're going to get next week. Shocked

Answerman: Enjoys dead kittens! Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
*pats live kitten, mourns the dead kitten* Answerman, I realize (and I HOPE) that kitten isn't dead, but...be prepared for the onslaught of PETA love letters you're going to get next week. Shocked

Answerman: Enjoys dead kittens! Rolling Eyes

That kitten is obviously sleeping.
space clam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
I don't even see why people care. You *know* a show like Bleach is always going to have fansub torrents around, licensed or not. Those people already have set it in their minds that they will only watch the fansub, so why do they care what Viz does?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
weirdofu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Anime on iTunes isn't a bad idea, but something similar is already in place in Japan on a slightly different model.

If you understand Japanese and want to watch anime, there are Japanese sites that have deals to let people watch episodes of anime for free in streaming format. Of course, there will always be alot of advertising attached, but hey, its free anime in a sense. But of course, the catch is that you have to know enough japanese and that many times the animes available for streaming may be a few months old.

I heard they just started putting up Eureka 7 episodes for web streaming.
jdb728

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
There is no 'straight story' yet because there's no story at all. Funimation has indeed licensed the film, but they've said nothing at all about a theatrical release, but they did mention that it'll be out on DVD the same day as the final volume of the series, in October (which is a really excellent release idea; now fans don't have to wait to find out what happens!).
They might elect to do a brief theater run, a'la what they're doing now with Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn, but given the truncated DVD release window, I'm skeptical about that.

You're probably right about this, but I was wondering. When did Funimation say that the movie would be released the same day as volume 13? I've looked around a little bit, and couldn't find it anywhere. All I could find is where Funi said they had "big plans for this release".

Thanks. Cool
matthewlow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:00 am Reply with quote
Would this be enough proof of a theatrical release? Posted by Lance of Funimation...

http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost.php?p=2079676&postcount=34
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:

If that were the case, then 4Kids would be in better shape than FUNimation; but in fact, it's the other way around. Basically, the situation is the same as when Di$ney sabotaged Spirited Away's success in theaters by reducing the theater count, because they were hoping the Pokemon movie would be more successful. 4Kids discontinued the uncut Yu Gi Oh and Shaman King dvds, because they were hoping the edited dubs would be successful.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zac:
Quote:

If that were the case, then 4Kids would be in better shape than FUNimation; but in fact, it's the other way around. Basically, the situation is the same as when Di$ney sabotaged Spirited Away's success in theaters by reducing the theater count, because they were hoping the Pokemon movie would be more successful. 4Kids discontinued the uncut Yu Gi Oh and Shaman King dvds, because they were hoping the edited dubs would be successful.

Huh? Disney released Pokemon? Was there a memo that I didn't see about this?

Plus Zac, can you provide sources that support your claim that the DVD's sold poorly? Likewise, can GATSU also provide sources that the DVD's were the victim of Kahn's Xenophobia?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
Rigor mortis kitty! Laughing
*puts a flower bouquet beside the dead kitten. takes live kitten home*

I think that it is possible for the FMA movie to have a theatrical run. DBZ only has a 3 day theatrical engagement after all. It also could convert some people into buying the DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6