• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comiket Loses 10 Million+ Yen Over Kuroko's Basketball Threats

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
scineram wrote:
Just cancel the goddamn manga already! Before someone is killed.

For all his bluster, no one has died yet. If people start dying, then yeah, cancel the manga.

That will never happen. Cash cow.
lijachan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
i ask...
where's L, Near and Mellow when you need them? LOL
if not them...
we could use a Batman right about now. LMAO
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Serves them right. Rolling Eyes
Anyway, Fujimaki-sensei has already said recently that he will continue the manga 'no matter what'.
Now, all I'm hoping for is a second season. But it won't happen with this nutcase around.
Is it so hard to catch one person?
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
What they should do is to announce this cancellation, but secretly coordinate amongst the staff and circles to allow it as a surprise on opening day.

That should mitigate any threats to the event. I'm sure it'll enrage him afterwards, but that may end up causing him to slip up. Sorta like reverse-trolling
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
Shouldn't some of these losses be mitigated by the selling of the formerly Kuroko Basket seats to other circles? Or did they just leave them empty? I'm sure there were people who originally did not get seated who would have been happy to fill the tables with non-dangerous materials.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
They may well have, but I'm sure circle entrance fees aren't the only source of revenue nipped by this.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
Otaku wusses! Smile
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Shouldn't some of these losses be mitigated by the selling of the formerly Kuroko Basket seats to other circles? Or did they just leave them empty? I'm sure there were people who originally did not get seated who would have been happy to fill the tables with non-dangerous materials.

It was way way too late for a circle to get anything ready in time...
The printer schedules are booked far ahead of time.

Maybe there are some doujin circles that have some stuff to sell like, lying around, but highly doubtful.
And if I were comiket I think having a distinctly empty section of tables would be an important signal of solidarity with the groups they were forced to ban.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Lija-chan wrote:
i ask...
where's L, Near and Mellow when you need them? LOL

Well.....L is spoiler[kind of dead]. Razz

scineram wrote:
Just cancel the goddamn manga already! Before someone is killed.

No, that solves nothing and means letting the terrorist win.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScrambleBuster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Okay... I was trying to resist for the longest time, in actually signing-up for this site and being some 'Japan-know-at-all" and oh yeah, being Japanese(-American) to boot.

I bought the huge, catalogue for the Winter Comiket since it's going to be my first time attending a HUGE event like that. And reading inside it, the circles for Kuroko are still in there, there doesn't seem to be any indication or warning written in there that those circles are cancelled.
I'm assuming, that before all this happened, the books had been printed already in advanced (as for a huge event like this, everything is usually done ahead of time in Japan) so anything added or changed in this is already too late. In turn, these were released as is when I purchased it.
Checking Pixiv, I'm not sure how many users that are Kuroko fan artists will attend, but there are some that are aware of it, and are selling their stuff via online doujin shops and through Toranoana.
Though, I am tempted to check and take a look on the second day of the event, which is the day that most of the Jump doujins are featured, just to see if the circles for it are indeed not there.

I'm actually not much into Kuroko, because sports mangas aren't my thing, but I am annoyed that this guy is getting away with it as much as everyone else. Even a couple of my classmates, who are either casual readers/watchers of the manga and anime, and one that likes it a lot (and has written a short doujin for it), plus my instructor (a moe doujin woman artist) are annoyed too about why the police here aren't doing their job, giving into this guy's demands, and why they have to go to lengths to cancel events like that and piss off the fans.
We can't stand up to a threat like that? I'm sure if our culture demands it, we would. Though I wonder if that strategy worked well back in America, and if there were no casualties, right? Answer me that, because I would like to know and tell everyone here about it, then maybe we can learn from you all! Very Happy
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
People have short memories it appears.

Uni-Bomber anyone.........

Let not forget it took the United States about 7 to 8 years to figure out who it actually was who was mailing real anthrax to people. He actually killed several people and injured many.

I am sure the Japanese police and other agencies are doing their best, but if the criminal is smart he/she will be hard to catch, and may never be caught. Also, what would happen to the investigation if copy cats jump on the band wagon.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Of course, you can name many similar cases that took years to solve. But I think certain people just like using whatever ammo they can to slam Japan for whatever reason and don't care too much for the facts.

Anyway, as mentioned, they can still sell their works on Toranoana or DLsite, so it's not like the work can't still get to the fans, but obviously Comiket is a big draw for otaku and fujoshi and can bring in some serious cash for them. Only real thing to worry about is if this deters circles from continuing to make work for the franchise down the road.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2