• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto Dub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
VML wrote:
Naruto is not just a typical action anime. It also has drama in it. The manga version of Naruto was the first manga that made me cry because I could somewhat relate to Naruto. The other characters also have their own problems and they're dynamic.

I'm just saying that Naruto is not just another entertaining action-packed anime but it is also very thought-provoking (in my opinion).
Um, what's the big deal here? This review didn't bash Naruto or anything. All it said was, "Naruto is yet another in the FINE, long-standing tradition of lengthy action-packed shonen series (like Dragon Ball Z and One Piece), and as an action series it SUCCEEDS on many levels." Note the usage of the words "FINE" and "SUCCEEDS." If that isn't a positive comment, I don't know what is. Seriously, just because this review isn't praising Naruto for being this miracalous masterpiece that the Gods sent us that's the greatest thing since sliced bread doesn't mean the review is being negative towards it. In fact, this is probably the most positive and intelligent review for Naruto that I've read. It's refreshing to read a review that not only is positive but also isn't all "ZOMG! naruto is so kewl! u have to totally see this or u suXX0rz!" If you want to see a truly negative review of Naruto, go read the review for it over at THEManime.org and then you won't be complaining about ANN anymore.

I love Naruto myself and it's in fact one of my favorite anime series, but even I will admit that the show isn't without its flaws. To be honest, I actually find the more dramatic moments in the series to be exteremly cheesy and Naruto hardly made me want to start searching for the meaning of life. Naruto is a kid's show for god's sake. If you want something truly thought-provoking, go read the bible or a chapter in a history textbook about WWII. The whole moral value message of Naruto is basically "if you want to be stronger, you have to believe in yourself!" Yeah, that's real thought-provoking there. Rolling Eyes But just because something has flaws or isn't deep and thought-provoking doesn't mean it isn't good.

Anyway, I found this to be a very-well thought out review and I very much agree with what it says. Naruto is rather simplistic and in some areas it's very cliched and predictable. I almost laughed when Kakashi said that Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke had "unique personalities" when they first met. Still, there's something about this show that's addicting. It may be predictable but I do agree that it's very well-excuted. I really like how they actually explain all the different ninja techinques they use so it doesn't seem so over-the-top. I also like how the characters use more strategy in their fights than in most other shounen anime, and aside from the numerous flashbacks the show tends to over-use, the pacing isn't too bad either, and Sakura's "inner self" is really great and always makes me laugh.

About the only thing I hate about Naruto is Rocks. I'm sorry but I just don't like that song and I can't understand why so many people love it. As a song by itself, it's not really too bad, but it just doesn't really work as an opening theme song. It just doesn't get the blood pumping or the body energized and ready to go to watch a show. I do love all the other theme songs though, my personal favorite being Haruka Kanata, and it's still a lot better than the dub opening. As for the dub, I've only seen the dub of episode three and while it's still not as good as the Japanese version, it's definetly a lot better than most other edited dubs. The strangest cut was how they censored Naruto's and Sasuke's accidental kiss. For some reason, it's ok for them to say that they kissed but it's not ok to actually show them kissing. I suppose it could've been worse (I can only imagine how 4Kids would've done it if Viz hadn't gotten the rights to Naruto), but the way Viz edited the kiss scene just made the whole purpose of the edit seem pointless to me.

The dub VAs are ok for the most part. The only one I didn't like was Naruto's. He sounded far too young for his character if you ask me, but everyone else was pretty decent. I especially thought Sakura's and Ino's dub VAs were perfect choices and I really appreiacte the effort the dub went to pronouncing the names correctly. I'm still not going to buy the dub only DVDs though, simply because I prefer to watch my anime uncut as opposed to edited, so I'm just going to wait for when the uncut boxsets are released instead. Also, what exactly does "dattebayo" mean in English? Does it really mean "believe it", how often does Naruto speak it in the Japanese version compared to the dub's catch phrase, and why didn't the fansub groups translate it? I just never noticed this before since the fansubs never translated it and the "dattebayo" never stuck out as much as the "believe it" line did.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
While I fully expected some miffed Naruto fan to complain about some little thing Zac said, I never suspected it would happen in the first post!

Touche, sir!

fawhoooosh!
SecretSquirrel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I think it's great that so many people are being positive about Naruto now. Nice change of pace from not too long ago when every other person was complaining about Naruto being licensed. Good review!! Cool
Dexo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Malie(Naruto's VA) has said in interviews, that she sometimes recorded different lines, one for the edited dub track and one for the uncut dub track...Kyle Herbert(Kiba's VA) has said similar things...So it seems that the uncut dub wil be awesome...
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Also, what exactly does "dattebayo" mean in English? Does it really mean "believe it", how often does Naruto speak it in the Japanese version compared to the dub's catch phrase, and why didn't the fansub groups translate it? I just never noticed this before since the fansubs never translated it and the "dattebayo" never stuck out as much as the "believe it" line did.

Dattebayo is said in the Japanese version many times. Usually, it's not as easy to catch because Naruto doesn't make the the main part of his sentence phrase in Japanese as they make him do in the English version. This is what I think, but it usually is just a quick add on after he says a sentence, usually it means something like "y'know," or "yeah."

Well, I was told that, anyway.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Also, what exactly does "dattebayo" mean in English? Does it really mean "believe it", how often does Naruto speak it in the Japanese version compared to the dub's catch phrase, and why didn't the fansub groups translate it? I just never noticed this before since the fansubs never translated it and the "dattebayo" never stuck out as much as the "believe it" line did.

By itself it has no meaning. It places extra emphasis on what he says.

And the phrase is simply "-ttebayo." It gets stuck onto verbs as well as "da."
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
By itself it has no meaning. It places extra emphasis on what he says.

And the phrase is simply "-ttebayo." It gets stuck onto verbs as well as "da."

I forgot to add the "or it has no meaning" part, so thank you for doing so. Anime smile

If you pay close attention to the Japanese, I realized that Naruto doesn't say "dattebayo" following the sentence. Just as you said, he just adds on "-'ttebayo," thank you for explaining that better than I could.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2