• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Next Super Sentai Show Kyōryūger's Cast, Characters Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
And sooner or later,Saban will come calling to transform this into another "Power Rangers" series. I wouldn't be surprised of that happening one day.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Dinosaurs again? How many times can they go back to the well? At least this one's looking a little like a Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin homage from what I can see of the helmets and the chest design that looks like the chest of Daizyuzin/Dino Megazord. I wonder if there's an intentional tribute here?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
And sooner or later,Saban will come calling to transform this into another "Power Rangers" series. I wouldn't be surprised of that happening one day.

And your point is?

Also, somewhat surprisingly, Power Rangers has a cult following in Japan, and at least one of the Power Rangers series (SPD, which was uhhh...*checks* Dekaranger in Japan) was actually redubbed into Japanese by the original Dekaranger actors.

So getting all snarky over Power Rangers is pretty silly.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Dinosaurs again? How many times can they go back to the well? At least this one's looking a little like a Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin homage from what I can see of the helmets and the chest design that looks like the chest of Daizyuzin/Dino Megazord. I wonder if there's an intentional tribute here?

Dinosaurs are fairly popular among young boys. The helmets look more like Abaranger's helmet's to me than Zyuranger, though.. Abaranger had that whole 'jagged visor' look, while Zyuranger looked more normal/rounded. Though all three look vaguely similar anyway

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also, somewhat surprisingly, Power Rangers has a cult following in Japan, and at least one of the Power Rangers series (SPD, which was uhhh...*checks* Dekaranger in Japan) was actually redubbed into Japanese by the original Dekaranger actors.

So getting all snarky over Power Rangers is pretty silly.

I don't think Snomaster was being against an American remake..

Though just because it was 're-released back in Japan' doesn't really mean much. I think you're overselling it just a tad.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Saban's contract with Toei requires them to adapt every series in some form. It's speculated that Go-Busters and Kyoryuger will be merged together, since a) Go-Busters had fairly low ratings/sales, and b) Go-Busters doesn't have as much usable footage as others, due to the henshin style and the over-abundance of "through the visor" shorts.

That being said, Kyoryuger is only the third dinosaur-themed series, behind Zyuranger (MMPR) and Abaranger (Dino Thunder). Cars have also been done 3 times, although the first (Turboranger) was before Power Rangers started (Power Rangers Turbo is an adaptation of Carranger, and RPM was Go-Onger). Bandai has said that Go-Busters was "too dark" and that it hurt sales, so they're going for a more light-hearted series with a proven popular theme, to try to bring the ratings back up.
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
The main character was Nekozawa in the live action Ouran.

I started imaging Nekozawa as a Sentai.

I laughed for about ten minutes.

Theres no other point to my post, really. I just wonder if anyone else did this?
Togame

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dinosaurs again? How many times can they go back to the well?

Last time it was 10 years ago and before that it was another 11 years. Besides, this time it's actually dinosaurs!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Well,I'd like to say that TitanXL is right on the money. I don't have a problem with Saban doing an American version of the show. It's done well so far and I'm waiting for the next "Power Rangers" show to come soon. I never really got into "Power Rangers Samurai" and it wasn't because it wasn't very good. I just had a hard time getting into it.
They just sort of copied much of the Japanese episodes but never did anything that was really American. What I would have liked to have seen was the Japanese Rangers,sensing that the Nighlok were going to invade America,gave a copy of their powers to five deserving Americans to help battle them.

Don't get me wrong. There were some episodes of the show I liked. I just never got into this particular version,that's all. Hopefully,the next series will be something I could get into and would be easier for me to watch. It's still a fun show and I hope it continues for as long as there's a Japanese show that goes along with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1