• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Diary of a Mad Woman

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Penguin Drum's english dub?
From what I've heard online it's pretty bad, which is a shame because the series is fantastic.
spoiler[I still like Utena more, but the dub sucked for that one too ] Laughing
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
From what I've heard online it's pretty bad, which is a shame because the series is fantastic.

I haven't heard the dub myself, but this is probably meaningless. Dubs always get the harshest criticism when they first come out because the people judging are sub-fans who have already seen the show subbed.

I'm still waiting for my copy of Penguins to arrive. Get on it, Right Stuf!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Penguindrum has a pretty major translation error in it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I finally got my copy of 'Ninja Scroll'. It was the last title to add to my Kawajiri collection.

I've heard a lot of different things about Penguin Drum. Both negative and positive. Some read into it like a work of art but others feel it's overrated and that those that are reading into it like it's some work of art are "jaded" into thinking it's a work of genius due to it's complex visual style and aesthetic theory. One can always find something in a feature. Is that such a bad thing? Look I have a hard enough time understanding why the hell "swords" can be pulled from the breast of the one who own the "rose maiden". Is it bad that that I wasn't flowers symbolizing genitalia in my anime? In a way I have to commend those folks who can see what I can't. Hell if someone can find some love in Dream Eater Yumeri then it can't be that bad.

I doubt that I'll watch Penguin drum, maybe I will when I'm up to the task but before I do that I gotta finish the rest of Utena. Kunihiko should be proud of himself (or full of himself) that he can make a feature so good every so many in between years. Can even Cameron top that?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

...And? What exactly is this error?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:

It's a tolerable dub. Not exceptional in any big way, but it does the job without producing cringes.

Shoma and Kanba's VAs don't really handle the curves, the emotionally charged moments, that well, is the biggest problem. Even some of the secondary characters feel more intuned to their roles. However, it is Monica Rial and Emily Neves who completely dominate any presence in the English track as Himari and Ringo respectively. They start off a bit rough, but once things really get moving, they really feel natural.

Anyway, I'm a pretty big fan of the show. Somehow I never saw Utena, but I really enjoy the style of Penguindrum and enjoy trying to unlock its mysteries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Look I have a hard enough time understanding why the hell "swords" can be pulled from the breast of the one who own the "rose maiden". Is it bad that that I wasn't flowers symbolizing genitalia in my anime? In a way I have to commend those folks who can see what I can't.

Sometimes a cocktower is just a cocktower. Wink
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

I've heard a lot of different things about Penguin Drum. Both negative and positive...I doubt that I'll watch Penguin drum, maybe I will when I'm up to the task but before I do that I gotta finish the rest of Utena.

Certainly, anyone for whom Utena wasn't their cup of tea probably won't like Penguindrum either. It does 'suffer' from some of the same issues as Utena (recycled animation, and some of the characters can sometimes be so extreme as to strain credibility-Ringo is the obvious example). However, these flaws could be perceived as a plus, as the show is definitely cut from the same cloth stylistically as Utena.

If I had to compare Penguindrum to a recent show, it might actually be Welcome to the NHK. Like NHK, many of the characters in Penguindrum are really not all that sympathetic, but you still begin to care about what happens to them all the same.

Last edited by victor viper on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Major Spoilers
prabb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sepherest wrote:

It's a tolerable dub. Not exceptional in any big way, but it does the job without producing cringes.

Shoma and Kanba's VAs don't really handle the curves, the emotionally charged moments, that well, is the biggest problem. Even some of the secondary characters feel more intuned to their roles. However, it is Monica Rial and Emily Neves who completely dominate any presence in the English track as Himari and Ringo respectively. They start off a bit rough, but once things really get moving, they really feel natural.

Anyway, I'm a pretty big fan of the show. Somehow I never saw Utena, but I really enjoy the style of Penguindrum and enjoy trying to unlock its mysteries.

Oh man. If you still love Penguindrum after its finale you might really, really like Utena. (I personally loved the endings to both series.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Major Spoilers

Yeah, I did find that odd.

prabb wrote:
Oh man. If you still love Penguindrum after its finale you might really, really like Utena. (I personally loved the endings to both series.)

I'll get to it eventually. It's hard to find interest in something that doesn't involve penguins. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Major Spoilers

I, too, found that a little weird while I was watching it, but I wondered if they did that intentionally so that you don't find out what the "accident" was until one of the boys delivers the last line ("Our parents were the leaders of the etc"). Most viewers would pick up on what's going on with the "95" signs they keep flashing, but my thought was that, until you put the 2+2 together spoiler[(2011-16=1995 --> "95" being the year of the attack)], Sentai wanted to keep things vague (especially for younger Western viewers, for whom 95 wouldn't necessarily have any connotations or memories*) so the reveal is more of a twist.

Or maybe it was just bad translation. I don't know.

* Some might think, "How would anyone not know what that's referring to?" But you know, two year ago, I was at a sporting event on September 11, and when they started a moment of silence for "events that happened ten years ago," a young girl behind me asked her father, "What happened then?"
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Just because I like being "that annoying guy", I just want to give the uninformed a heads up that Penguindrum is not 1080p as the package notes, but rather 1080i. It also seems to have a few very minor motion artifacting problems from some reviews I've read. So yes, this has been reverse-import protected.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Guess I gotta add both Penguindrum and Merry to my list now, huh? They both sound good.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
spoiler[I still like Utena more, but the dub sucked for that one too ] Laughing

At first I thought it was terrible and I am one to support dubs. Some voices don't fit (eg Kanba) and some performances are just plain bad. But I've watched up to episode 8 of the dub and I can say that I can tolerate watching the rest now. I still enjoyed it even with its flaws so yeah, that's just my opinion. Even if the dub was so super terrible that I couldn't watch it anymore I'd still get the second dvd collection because I LOVE Penguindrum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4