• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime featuring historical characters

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote
How many anime have actually featured Japanese historical figures instead of events? And I don't mean myths. So far I can't recollect of any that I have seen to have any historical figures. The only thing I can think of is Onimusha with Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi.
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:07 am Reply with quote
Otogi Zoshi featues Minamoto No Raikou and his companions as well as Abe No Seimei, both historical, though semi legendary figures, though the exploits of "Raikou" have a very cool twist.

Shura No Tokai featues several several important historical figures, notably the swordsman Miyamoto (sp?) in the 1600's and Saigo Takamori in the Meiji arc.

Kenshin features several figures, notably Yamagata Aritomo, the guy who brought you Japanese militarism.

Dagger of Kamui features several characters, notably Mark Twain and briefly Saigo Takamori.

All the Best,

Nani?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
Minamoto no Raikou and his Shitennou (actual historical figures, though their deeds have taken on near-mythical proportions, in much the same way as a Davey Crockett in the U.S.) get their most complete treatment in the aforementioned Otogi Zoshi, whose Heian Arc is a fiction partly based in fact. Shuten Doji and the building Rashomon also pop up in this story. Other anime in which some or all of these figures have appeared include Go Nagai's Shuten Doji, Kai Doh Maru, and Divergence Eve: Misaki Chronicles. I'm thinking the latter also had a "name" 17th century swordsman in it, but I'm having trouble finding that volume right now so I can't check. Sad

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alex K.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Two of the greatest swordsman of all time, Saito Hajime and Jubei Yagyu, are featured in many anime titles, such as Rurouni Kenshin, Peacemaker Kurogane, Jubei-chan and the ill-fated Ninja Resurrection, among others.

There was also a group of swordsman called the Shinsengumi, of which Saito was a member.
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin and Peacemaker Kurogane have the most historical characters of any show I am aware of. Rurouni Kenshin even puts its own spin on historical events revolving around these characters, such as the assassination of Okubo Toshimichi. Peacemaker, on the other hand, uses very inaccurate charicatures of the Shinsengumi members.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Well I realize this thread is focused on pre-Taisho era Japanese history but in the category of sci-fi meets 20th century history anime I can think of one historical figure featured in two shows: Admiral Yamamoto. The anime are "Konpeki no Kantai" and "Zipang".
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
There are also anime that have non-Japanese historical figures, such as Rose of Versailles which is set around the French Revolution and features many historical figures, including Marie Antoinette (who is not only my namesake but also my avatar).
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
There's also Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shambalah, which features spoiler[real-life Nazis Karl Haushofer and Rudolf Hess as second-tier villains. There's even a brief cameo of Adolf Hitler.

Oh, and even prominent silent film director Fritz Lang makes an appearance.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:00 am Reply with quote
So in what timeframe does FMA take place?
Nani?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Minamoto no Raikou and his Shitennou (actual historical figures, though their deeds have taken on near-mythical proportions, in much the same way as a Davey Crockett in the U.S.) get their most complete treatment in the aforementioned Otogi Zoshi, whose Heian Arc is a fiction partly based in fact. Shuten Doji and the building Rashomon also pop up in this story.Sad

A lot of Japanese historical figures from a 1000 years+ border between myth and reality. Even many Japanese deities like Susano-o were likely once flesh and blood people whose stories grew larger with the telling.

Where "Myth" ends and "history" begins is often blurred.

All the Best,

Nani?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
Well if i'm not mistaken the actual character of Kenshin Himoura is based on an actual samurai fighting for the revolution at that time. If my memory serves me correctly he was a skilled swordsman that did hep the revolution but was later assasinated by the government on speculation he was planning another revolution to overthrow the government.

Also Samurai Deeper Kyo features the characters of Iemasu Tokugawa and Nobunaga Oda.

And if i'm not mistaken FMA's time period would be from mid 19th century to pre-WWI.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1