• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I can't eat anymore?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

As for Super Size Me... While it's anyone's right to dislike the movie (my mom thought the movie was stupid and she's a vegetarian, even), I do believe that many of the detracters may missed the point of the movie. You can mention people losing weight from eating fast food, but the fact is, most people WOULD gain the weight, so having someone lose weight from eating it proves nothing.

People also forget that fast food isn't only loaded with calories, but also with sugar, fat, and possibly addictive chemicals. These places aren't in business to care about what they do to people, they're trying to make money, and they won't let scruples get in the way. It's understandable; many people are individualists.

Additionally, when people are offered more food, they will eat more food, whether they need to eat that much or not. It's a psychological thing. Thus, "Would you like to Super Size?" They often ask that as well, with only the intention of sleazily pushing the larger sizes, knowing full well that people with less willpower may be unable to refuse.

Fiction Alchemist hit this nail on the head.

My father's a Gastroenterologist (stomach doctor) and he has to deal with people who are obese and people who suffer from bad colons from not eating right. He also has to deal with people who have hemorrhoids, colon cancer, etc.

It's true that many Americans are overweight and do not exercise. This is a problem which doesn't seem to have a solution in the future. As for me, being the son of a stomach doctor, I haven't eaten fastfood in, say what, about 5 years.
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
(And once again, the character who says this is someone who is portrayed as foolish or stupid.)

Thus proving that eating makes you stupid, QED.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
abunai wrote:
(And once again, the character who says this is someone who is portrayed as foolish or stupid.)

Thus proving that eating makes you stupid, QED.

No, the point (as previously noted) is that excessive consumption of food is considered embarassing behaviour in Japan, and hence is fraught with potential for humour. When the obsession with food carries over into dreams, as in this case, it is usually the case that the character being so portrayed is also portrayed as stupid or foolish.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:23 am Reply with quote
Yes, but the Japanese can be pretty fast eaters at times Wink
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote
And here I thought I could become supersmart by living on air.
Tarnation and hillfire!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3