• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Nominated for Oscars [2013-01-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that Brave was a surprise to me (in that it was nominated). I liked it, but it definitely wasn't as good a film, IMO, as some of the other nominees.

(caveat: the animation was typical Pixar - outstanding, and for that alone I can see the nomination)

Haven't seen "Frankenweenie", but will probably see it within the week. "Wreck It Ralph" was probably my favorite overall.

It should be interesting to see how it goes this year, but compared to past years there really isn't a clear frontrunner that I can think of for this category.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
lostrune wrote:
At least it was recognized in it's home country and From Up on Poppy Hill won the 2012 Tokyo Anime Awards. Smile You must admit among those other nominees it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's much more mature and not a kid pandering joke-fest like the rest of the entries. Didn't stand much of a chance in a category designed for children's movies.

There's plenty in Wreck It Ralph for an adult to enjoy.

Until the halfway point, when it becomes the Sarah Silverman Annoys You Hour. And the message of that film for her storyline was awful. spoiler[Oh, no one likes or respects you? That's fine, just brainwash them and become a princess, now you'll be loved! Your personal achievements meant absolutely nothing. (Yes I know they're technically being "unbrainwashed", but the breakdown applies either way) The fellow racers didn't appreciate or like her until after they realized who she was. Same goes for realizing her curse was actually a gift.] I think that's a disgusting moral to teach...well, anyone. ParaNorman's lessons about trying to be empathetic or at least use reasoning to not blindly hate people is more universal and uplifting.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why people are complaining.
The track record for the Oscars says it all.
Only movie that I think deserves to be there is Wreck It Ralph.
The rest are your usual Pixar stuff and general kids nonsense.
Perhaps in the future they might want to widen the category and maybe include a foreign animation category.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Children's movies such as Brave and Wreck Ralph are nominated, yet once again no anime titles are nominated. I suppose a movie such as From Up on Poppy Hill that isn't inherently laden with larval jokes wouldn't be as seen the same as one that has said elements.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Children's movies such as Brave and Wreck Ralph are nominated, yet once again no anime titles are nominated. I suppose a movie such as From Up on Poppy Hill that isn't inherently laden with larval jokes wouldn't be as seen the same as one that has said elements.

I suppose if "children's movies" is the problem I can see why Poppy Hill wasn't nominated. Isn't one of the main concerns spoiler[a girl and a boy who like each other may be related by blood so they're unsure how to feel/approach their feelings because it might be incest]? Can't see that flying too well with parents in America as far as 'children's movies' are concerned. Probably best to play it safe with a family friendly pop-culture movie like Wreck it Ralph or if they're feeling like being 'artsy' Frankenweenie for the Tim Burton factor. I remember seeing a few sites who lampooned the movie because it 'promoted incest' or whatever.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I've seen From Up on Poppy Hill. Wasn't all that great.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Don't know why people are complaining.
The track record for the Oscars says it all.
Only movie that I think deserves to be there is Wreck It Ralph.
The rest are your usual Pixar stuff and general kids nonsense.
Perhaps in the future they might want to widen the category and maybe include a foreign animation category.

Which movies have you seen of the ones there?

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Poppy Hill only screened shortly in LA to get the qualification, right? It never went wide, so I doubt most the Academy would have voted unless it had. The wider something goes, the more people, Academy included, get to see it. If it wasn't screen at all in 2012, it's ineligible for any Oscar nomination next year, as it's a 2011 film. Same problem with Arrietty, and A Letter to Momo will also be ineligible whenever it plays, if ever, wide. Although that one could be tricky, since it made several festival appearances in 2011 but only went wide in Japan in 2012.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
God, that Simpsons short was lame. It will kill me if it wins over the delightful Paperman. [No, I don't know anything about the other three]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all.

When it comes down to it, the Oscars are publicity for the domestic film industry. It's all about business, not "art".

There is no real financial incentive for non-domestic projects to win domestic awards. In fact, spotlighting how the film industry in other countries might be more creative or artistic is the last thing the domestic film industry wants. Oscars basically stimulate the domestic industry, and domestic revenue accordingly.

Sure, they have a "best foreign film" category. Too bad they don't have one of these for animation as well. That is the only way a foreign made property is going to win an Oscar anymore, or at least, that's the trend I've been seeing. Crying or Very sad
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
I'm still waiting for the day they separate the 3DCG movies from the Animated movies, In my most sincere opinion, I feel it's stupid to compare something animated with 3D models to something drawn by hand, even if it gets coloured by computer afterwards.

Yeah, that's not happening. We're lucky enough to get two animated awards at Oscar, they're not going to further split it by animation type. As much as I'd love to see 2D theatrical animation make a resurgence in North America, that's not happening anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scineram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I just want to see if Letter to Momo and Wolf Children will get nominated. No stakes this year really.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Until the halfway point, when it becomes the Sarah Silverman Annoys You Hour. And the message of that film for her storyline was awful. spoiler[Oh, no one likes or respects you? That's fine, just brainwash them and become a princess, now you'll be loved! Your personal achievements meant absolutely nothing. (Yes I know they're technically being "unbrainwashed", but the breakdown applies either way) The fellow racers didn't appreciate or like her until after they realized who she was. Same goes for realizing her curse was actually a gift.] I think that's a disgusting moral to teach...well, anyone. ParaNorman's lessons about trying to be empathetic or at least use reasoning to not blindly hate people is more universal and uplifting.

That's pretty much completely missing the point. spoiler[It was never Ven's intention to 'brainwash them and become a princess', she know she was a princess until after the fact, and the brainwashing was the last to find out about. The point of the movie is staying true to yourself. She sticks to her guns until she proves herself and thats what ends up turning her life for the better. Heck, she's one of the few Disney leads that rejects the idea of being a princess because she's happy just the way she is [Yes, she does take up the name of 'President']. If that's a 'disgusting moral', then I don't know what a good one is. Heck, everything you described applies more to King Candy, and look how he turned out. ]

Sorry it wasn't to your liking, but not only is there plenty in this movie for adults, but lots of them like that kid as well, as proven by their fairly huge fandom.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the day they separate the 3DCG movies from the Animated movies, In my most sincere opinion, I feel it's stupid to compare something animated with 3D models to something drawn by hand, even if it gets coloured by computer afterwards.

As much as I like traditional animation, I can't see this happening if not just for the complete lack of 3D coming out of America now. We'd be lucky to have a foreign animation category if we were to get anything, but even then...
TG72

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I think Paranorman, Brave and Wreck it Ralph all have strong storylines and deserve to be in the running.

Yeah, I'd love to see an Arietty in there, but the Oscars always seem to have a few snubs that make no sense to me...it's not just with anime. How in world does The Impossible pick up just one nomination?

Wreck-It-Ralph does have a Japanese song ("Sugar Rush")...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
I hope Paperman takes it for short film. Absolutely fantastic. In fact I think it was better than Wreck It Ralph, the movie it was shown with. (Although Wreck It Ralph was quite enjoyable as well)

This. Paperman was beautiful and emotional without having to use any dialogue.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I love that I can go onto a forum celebrating the versatility and appeal of Japanese animation, and can find a thread where equally stellar American animation is relegated to "children's movies".

Those children's movies were some of the best movies of the year, especially the dark and surprisingly risky ParaNorman, as well as Wreck-It Ralph which is with little doubt the best video game movie ever with extensive world-building and really likeable characters.

Never change, hypocrites. Never change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5