• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Exceptional Quality

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the money was there (30 million bucks, to be exact)

Man, quoted figures like that make me relieved none of these movies went into shooting. 30 mil might be enough to squeak out small-scale films like Cabin in the Woods and Dredd, but when you have to start realizing vast futuristic cityscapes, immensely large action scenes and set-pieces, and all the other fixings associated with cyberpunk, budgets like that would result in laughable Asylum-quality films. I really don't want to see what should be 100+ million dollar films shot on pitiful budgets, money does matter as much as creative pursuit. I'm not even sure how well to put into words my distaste for overreaching filmmakers, yet at the same time try not to stifle someone's ability to make what they want... I just don't want to see anime adapted live-action go the way of video game movies: things that should be direct to video somehow managing to get into theaters.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Same question carried over? Or was this just a copy & paste mistake?
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Dunno if it was a typo or something but both Answerfan questions are the same.

It was interesting seeing the Bebop movie brought up again. While I still seriously question Reeves being cast as Spike I was actually kind of interesting in seeing that one pull through since it could have potentially worked for a film. Ah well guess we're stuck with that live action Bleach movie coming out eventually. Wonder what kind of lows that one will reach...
NeoPhoenixTE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Same question carried over makes me wonder if our Answerman is a true sadist or not...
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
AnimeMaine wrote:
Same question carried over? Or was this just a copy & paste mistake?

Yeah, like probably more than a few people, I was confused when I saw that this week's question is the same as last week's. ^^;
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
the money was there (30 million bucks, to be exact)

Man, quoted figures like that make me relieved none of these movies went into shooting. 30 mil might be enough to squeak out small-scale films like Cabin in the Woods and Dredd, but when you have to start realizing vast futuristic cityscapes, immensely large action scenes and set-pieces, and all the other fixings associated with cyberpunk, budgets like that would result in laughable Asylum-quality films. I really don't want to see what should be 100+ million dollar films shot on pitiful budgets, money does matter as much as creative pursuit. I'm not even sure how well to put into words my distaste for overreaching filmmakers, yet at the same time try not to stifle someone's ability to make what they want... I just don't want to see anime adapted live-action go the way of video game movies: things that should be direct to video somehow managing to get into theaters.

There's been tons of 100+ million dollar budget movies that still look terrible. No amount of budget can make certain things look good outside animation. I always find it amazing something like 2D animation can look more real and natural than actual live-action actors. I suppose that's the power of the medium and why ultimately live-action adaptions are pointless and serve zero purpose. If you want to watch Bubblegum Crisis, why not just watch Bubblegum Crisis?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say that A-1 is my current favorite studio. Idolmaster, AnoHana, Sword Art Online, Magi, Fairy Tail, Working, Vividred Operation, Ore no Imouto 2 next season... they've done a lot of my favorite anime of the last couple years. And now that they are established, they should be getting even more funding from Aniplex and they'll give them their more important projects instead of going to other studios to do them. With A-1, you always know that you will be getting top of the line production value and they only take on the biggest properties. You won't be getting throwaway titles from them... the sky is the limit for A-1.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
They're also doing Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter which is great. All those Idolmaster dance choreography are paying off.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
I enjoy most of A-1's works but, From the New World had some episodes that I wouldn't call "high-quality". Specifically, episode 5 when Saki and Satoru are captured by the Monster Rats. I found the use of close-ups, lack of motion in some areas, and the lighting to be rather poor. I'm still enjoying the show regardless.

As for Fusanosuke Inariya, there was a rumor that she once served as an assistant for the famous Hiromu Arakawa. I enjoy her artwork most of all and her adult males are so stunning to look at. She also does josei and seinen manga so not all her works are just BL. spoiler[And I love her Tiger & Bunny Doujinshi~]
flawed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Some anime's translate well to live action. Examples of Rurouni Kenshin, Detective Conan, and Death Note all have good live-action adaptations. It seems to me it's once Americanized Hollywood takes the reigns they tend to completely derail the adaptation.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
flawed wrote:
Some anime's translate well to live action. Examples of Rurouni Kenshin, Detective Conan, and Death Note all have good live-action adaptations. It seems to me it's once Americanized Hollywood takes the reigns they tend to completely derail the adaptation.

Live-action adaptations don't necessarily have to be from Hollywood to be poorly-made. The live-action adaptations for Negima and Ouran High-School Host Club (both Japanese) testify to that. All you have to do is make a lot of bad decisions. The shows are darned loyal to the source material, what's more.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
After watching the first episode of Chihayafuru 2, I'll admit I haven't been this confidently excited to watch a second season of an anime since Big Windup season 2.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
anyone who thinks A-1 Pictures is independent from Sony are just fooling themselves.

A-1 pictures may create and receive jobs from other producers just like any other studio for hire in order to turn a profit but in no way does that translate into freedom or job security.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:47 am Reply with quote
My own anime studio: Among the projects I'd do, I'd make a show that portrays pro wrestling in a realistic light. One that doesn't treat it like a real sport, unlike some shows we know. If Vince Russo wants a job writing it, I'll show him where the door is.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
OH jesus...if I had my own anime studio....I'd end up never being able to make the shows I want. Real talk, I've got literally about 10 different shows I've planned over the years that I'd love to make in animated form (and I mean, I've worked on the plots and characters and the like, not just "WOULDN'T THIS BE COOL IF THIS WAS AN ANNIE-MAY DESU" phase every weeaboo goes through), but they wouldn't sell that much probably. Well, maybe a few would (one of them's a SOL that would probably sell decently) but a few others wouldn't definitely.

So if I had an anime studio...I'd never make the stuff I would like to make. Which makes the whole thing kinda moot.

But anyway, what would I make? That's...actually pretty much impossible to answer. I'd make everything from Shaft-like craziness to Key-esque moe drama to Madhouse-style dark and edgy works. I like to try different things. I'd make a post-apocalyptic story more violent than all of Elfen Lied and MD Geist combined and then immediately make a moe SOL the next season.

But I would DEFINITELY make a racing anime. We need more of those, god dammit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4