• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Original Gundam Finally on Japanese DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I had no idea this was never on DVD in Japan. I wonder what took them so long to do so. Was everyone just satisfied with the movie trilogy, or is that not on Japanese DVD either?
Jamesleedx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I think what happened was that they lost the original japanese audio track for the series and had to re-record everything before releasing the dvd. This would also explain why the American DVD release of the series was English Dub only.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
They say Tomino didn't want it released on DVD. Guess he caved.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean we can finally have the original Gundam re-released with the Japanese language track in the U.S. someday?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Jamesleedx wrote:
I think what happened was that they lost the original japanese audio track for the series and had to re-record everything before releasing the dvd. This would also explain why the American DVD release of the series was English Dub only.

I always heard the US dvd was dub only to prevent reverse importation to Japan considering how cheap it would be compared to JP dvds and how stupidly simple it would it be to get around region encoding.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
I always heard the US dvd was dub only to prevent reverse importation to Japan considering how cheap it would be compared to JP dvds and how stupidly simple it would it be to get around region encoding.

That's what I heard too (reliable source)

As to why it took so long in Japan, I can't remember hearing anything, so I have no idea...

-t
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Does this mean we can finally have the original Gundam re-released with the Japanese language track in the U.S. someday?

Unfortunately, given Gundam's overall popularity in the US, that's kinda doubtful at this point. Luckily, at least the original series had one of the best dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Kouji wrote:

Unfortunately, given Gundam's overall popularity in the US, that's kinda doubtful at this point. Luckily, at least the original series had one of the best dubs.

Also, don't forget we DID get an uncut release, with one episode removed. (The only alterations was Original Op/ED removed after a certain episode, and some digital enhancing was added, but I think the digital enhancing stuff was done by the japanese team.)
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Alright, time for a U.S. rerelease then. I've been sticking with the movie trilogy but I would much rather have the T.V. series. This will be nice because now I'll get to collect Super Dementional Fortress Macross and the original Mobile Suit Gundam.
wildarmsheero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably pick up this R2 release. It won't have subtitles, but I can deal.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Kouji wrote:

Bandai might just put it out, eventually, since the target demographic of such a series would be the more "seasoned" fans who've been waiting for a definitive Region 1 release to begin with.

Hell, I didn't buy it because of the dub only track, but put it out in Japanese with some nice subtitles, put me on the waiting list. Hopefully I can retire yet another fansub from my collection.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:41 am Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
Kouji wrote:

Bandai might just put it out, eventually, since the target demographic of such a series would be the more "seasoned" fans who've been waiting for a definitive Region 1 release to begin with.

Given the mistakes with the Zeta Gundam release, perhaps its better they don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Except for not having the original OP music, I'm not familiar with any mistakes on the domestic Zeta release. Maybe I missed something.
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
A Zeta-style boxset is probably the way to go for an R1 release..
I just hope whoever holds the rights to those op-ed songs are willing to surrender them at an affordable price..

I'm actually considering just getting the R2 release, as i will be taking japanese at Uni. around the time of the release, and, seeing as I know the story and dialog from the dub and the subbed movies, these discs would make good studyaids..
Panon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
BuffaloStyle wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Except for not having the original OP music, I'm not familiar with any mistakes on the domestic Zeta release. Maybe I missed something.

It's blatently dubtitled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3