• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Release Corrections.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
According to the VIZ web site and 3 of 5 retailers, the release date of "X [3-in-1 Edition] (GN 5 of 6)" has changed from
2013-01-08
to
2013-03-12

VIZ — X (3-in-1), Volume 5:
http://www.viz.com/manga/print/x-3-in-1-volume-5/16090

ANN, X [3-in-1 Edition] (GN 5 of 6):
release#20765

Fixed, as well as volume 6 (from 2013-04-09 to 2013-05-14).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kosaka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
According to the Fantagraphics Books web site, "Wandering Son (GN 4)" will now ship in March, 2013. According to 3 of 4 retailers, the release date of "Wandering Son (GN 4)" has changed from 2013-01-18 to 2013-04-06.

Fantagraphics Books — Wandering Son Vol. 4 [Pre-Order]:
http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/wandering-son-vol.-4-pre-order-5.html

ANN, Wandering Son (GN 4):
release#20728
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
According to 3 of 4 retailers, the release date of "Wandering Son (GN 4)" has changed from 2013-01-18 to 2013-04-06.

Fixed. Lots of releases have been postponed recently; I wonder what's wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kosaka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Fixed. Lots of releases have been postponed recently; I wonder what's wrong.

Re the X manga, I think I read or heard that re-released CLAMP manga are more prone to delays, but the final result is generally high quality.

The ANN article DMI Puts All Print Releases on Hiatus in January-June 2013 lists a set of delays from Digital Manga Inc., 2 for next week. Most of those release dates have been updated, but some haven't; below is a list of ones that still have earlier dates, with the newer dates.

Ai no Kusabi: The Space Between (Novel 8): 2013 July, 2013-07-31 (Juné, Ai no Kusabi Vol. 8, Right Stuf, Barnes and Noble)
Ze (GN 7): 2013 July, 2013-07-31 (Right Stuf, Barnes and Noble)
Moon & Blood (GN 4): 2013 July, 2013-07-31 (DMP, Moon and Blood vol.4, Right Stuf, Barnes and Noble)
Takasugi-san's Obento (GN 1): 2013 August, 2013-08-28 (DMP, Takasugi-San's Obento {Vol. 1}, Barnes and Noble)
Ze (GN 8): 2013 October, 2013-10-30 (Barnes and Noble)
Takasugi-san's Obento (GN 2): 2013 November, 2013-11-27 (DMP, Takasugi-San's Obento vol.2, Barnes and Noble)
Itazura Na Kiss (GN 10): 2013 November, 2013-11-27 (DMP, Itazura na Kiss Vol. 10, Barnes and Noble)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I've updated the first three which all had two corroborating dates from different suppliers, but the last four..

Ze 8 has 2013-10-30 from B&N only (Buy.com has the original date still), but it is in line with the article so have updated to that.

Takasugi 2 again has 2013-11-27 from B&N only, so have used that.

Itazura 10 has 2013-11-27 from B&N and 2013-12-10 from Buy. The article says November and they were a month off for earlier releases where B&N and TRSI agreed so went with the B&N date.

The only remaining question is:

Takasugi 1 has 2013-08-28 from B&N and 2013-08-31 from TRSI, both of which are in line with the "2013 August" from the article.

--edit--

DMP say Aug 28, 2013 - updated.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Philosophical question: Is it better to change the release dates as soon as one becomes aware of the change (meaning that editors might have to do this several times per release as it could potentially be pushed back multiple times per release), or to start with the original date and then only change it once if it gets delayed, after the product actually ships for real?
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Philosophical question: Is it better to change the release dates as soon as one becomes aware of the change (meaning that editors might have to do this several times per release as it could potentially be pushed back multiple times per release), or to start with the original date and then only change it once if it gets delayed, after the product actually ships for real?

To put in my 2 cents, re the second option, if a release is delayed, I think it should be updated at least before the old release date, and probably somewhat before that. That way, the Releases link is more helpful to people, and if the Releases link is ever used in part in generating a weekly releases list, fewer items would need to be weeded out.

Also, if a release date passes, and the release doesn't happen at a later date, particularly if there's no announcement of that, the release date might not get updated, and someone in the future might think the release happened.

The 2 options, and the range between them, could be looked at in the general case and for individual companies. I think multiple delays are mainly an issue for certain companies.

Here are 2 related links.

ANN, Releases (upcoming):
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php

North American Anime, Manga Releases, January 6-12:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-08/north-american-anime-manga-releases-january-6-12
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
Shamanic Princess DVD Collection delayed from January 22 until April 9:
release#22507
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/0lQb7I1GCgThubldPE/browse/item/96377/4/0/0
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-11-28/media-blasters-delays-cancels-releases

Other retailers haven't updated their dates yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
As much as I like Fantagraphics, the publisher of Wandering Son, their proposed release dates are usually only wishful thinking, though the publications do eventually come out. Dark Horse is just as bad if not worse on their manga. I don't think anyone, even the people that work there, know quite what is going on with Media Blasters. Most of their titles have been postponed one or more times.

Under these circumstances I don't see the point of listing release dates at all until the manga or anime is actually released. If this is not an option, for these and other companies (based on experience) the prospective release date could be entered as subject to change. Given the limited editoral resources, updating these several times is a waste of effort.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
@Lynzee: Done.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Fantagraphics, it looked like The Heart of Thomas
release#19698

was actually released on January 18 instead of January 5, according to Amazon.com which appears to have it in stock:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1606995510/animenewsnetw-20

On the other hand, Right Stuf currently states the release date as March 13
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/gfNwd1wj8vI70nSL21/browse/item/96992/4/0/0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Speaking of Fantagraphics, it looked like The Heart of Thomas
release#19698

was actually released on January 18 instead of January 5, according to Amazon.com which appears to have it in stock:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1606995510/animenewsnetw-20

On the other hand, Right Stuf currently states the release date as March 13
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/gfNwd1wj8vI70nSL21/browse/item/96992/4/0/0

Amazon, B&N and Buy.com all list the release date on Jan. 18, so I changed it to that date accordingly.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
Here are some possible Volume field changes on some release pages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ANN pages currently say these 3 titles are Blu-ray only instead of Blu-ray and DVD.

ANN — Shakugan no Shana S (Blu-Ray)
release#22019

ANN — Shakugan no Shana: Movie (Blu-Ray):
release#22018

ANN — Ga-Rei-Zero - The Complete Series (Blu-Ray 1-2 of 2):
release#21342

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ANN page currently says this title is Subtitled DVD instead of Subtitled Blu-ray and Subtitled DVD (like anohana).

ANN - Natsume's Book of Friends - Season 3 Premium Edition (Sub.DVD)
release#22729

ANN - NISA Puts Natsume's Book of Friends Season 3 on Blu-Ray:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-06/nisa-puts-natsume-book-of-friends-season-3-on-blu-ray

I might be misunderstanding these 2, but if not, the "1" and "2" would go to the right of "DVD".
(Also, not sure if "DVD" should be "DVD/R2" or something else, since DVD regions 2 and 4 both overlap with Blu-ray region B.)

Persona 4: The Animation (Blu-Ray/B 1+DVD of 3) [Volume: Blu-Ray/B 1+DVD / 3]:
release#21686

Persona 4: The Animation (Blu-Ray/B 2+DVD of 3) [Volume: Blu-Ray/B 2+DVD / 3]:
release#22914

Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
I believe the system still can't ID combos, so I've fixed those.
There's still no option for sub-only combos so have changed Natsume to BD with a volume number of +DVD.

The problem with Persona is the same - combos are not split by region so to avoid them being mis-identified as region A they have to be set as Region B BDs with +DVD appended to the volume number.

You can't set the region for the BD and DVD separately in a combo; the whole thing is either Region A/B or Region 1/2/4.

Without a fairly major overhaul of the system fudging things is unavoidable.

A question worth asking, and which I am unsure about, is for multi-volume multi-disc sets whether to put "Collection n" in the title or use volume numbers. As you can see for Persona, I've used the latter for the UK release but the US releases use the former.

As far as I'm concerned, unless it is a complete set it is still split into volumes even if those volumes contain more than one disc; the name used for the individual elements of the series (collection, set, part or whatever) is immaterial. That doesn't mean I haven't also added releases as "Part 1" or whatever myself since I probably have --;
Kosaka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
The release date for "Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries (GN 2)" has apparently changed from Feb. 5 to most likely Feb. 19, or less likely Feb. 28. 3 retailers say Feb. 19, 1 says Feb. 28, and the publisher's web page gives the month without a day.

ANN — Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries (GN 2):
release#21474

Seven Seas Entertainment — Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries -
http://www.gomanga.com/manga/lizzienewton.php
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 43