• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atelier Ayesha Slated for March 5 With English Dub Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
Maybe TK just needs enough people to send in hate mail over them ruining a game that a lot of people were looking forward to.

Ugh... this is so frustrating. But... I may just import the JP version because I still want to buy the game, but... if they're not giving me a half-decent release then the least I can do is look for a better release from Japan.

Honestly, you'd think they'd do enough market analysis to realize that there's probably a greater market for releasing the game with only the Japanese audio track than just the English track given the target audience. Then again, maybe they're just horribly ignorant of who plays these games in the first place. That seems likely too.
evilkorpse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
Has anyone noticed that Nis America does not publish games for Xbox 360? I mean some of the games that Nis has published such as Cross Edge had a Xbox 360 version released in japan but the US never got anything only the PS3 version came out.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
NISA has always partially dub the series, since it'll cost too much to dub every line. If the localization is truly from NISA, I'll go for it. Gave up Dynasty Warriors due to Koei's lack of options.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
evilkorpse wrote:
Has anyone noticed that Nis America does not publish games for Xbox 360? I mean some of the games that Nis has published such as Cross Edge had a Xbox 360 version released in japan but the US never got anything only the PS3 version came out.

Not enough NA people who are into these types of games own a 360.

Haterater wrote:
NISA has always partially dub the series, since it'll cost too much to dub every line. If the localization is truly from NISA, I'll go for it. Gave up Dynasty Warriors due to Koei's lack of options.

Actually saying "Partial dub" scares me, though. They've never said that before... makes me worry only the main story will be voiced and everything optional won't be... which is like the majority of the dialogue.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
Good point. I don't remember NISA saying that with the other games. If TK had their hand on everything and NISA is just the "grunt workers" then I'll have to pass again. Just not a fan of what TK is doing these days.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Haterater wrote:

Actually saying "Partial dub" scares me, though. They've never said that before... makes me worry only the main story will be voiced and everything optional won't be... which is like the majority of the dialogue.

There are actually quite afew games that are like this, its not really something new. Heck, even the Persona games only have voices during cutscenes and story sequences. Games like this have massive amounts of text, I cant even imagine how much it would cost a small company like NISA to dub it all.

But as its been mentioned already, NISA has always done a "partial dub" for Atelier games (and most of their other games too), so they had no reason to do anything different with this one. NISA also stated in the same forum post where they confirmed the games dub-only status that the inclusion or lack of JP audio had no effect either way on the amount of English audio they recorded.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

Why would Tecmo Koei suddenly decide to screw that up?!

Because Tecmo Koei, like basically any medium to large sized video game company that releases games for English speakers, just doesn't care about people who want JP audio. How many of their other games have Japanese audio? I'm guessing very few. The only one I'm aware of is one Dynasty Warriors game released as DLC, and only after fans blowing up at them for not including it.

Haterater wrote:
Good point. I don't remember NISA saying that with the other games.

The first Neptunia had almost 100% voices (pretty sure it did if you ignore something that was DLC in Japan) and then the the second game only dubbed around 1/3 or so of the lines. Someone involved in the localization mentioned that before Mk2 released. Maybe something about that led NISA to think it was a good idea to be upfront about this in the future.

Also, come to think of it, they may have specified it hear precisely because its English dub only. Some people think that having Japanese audio causes a game to have less dubbed (which only makes sense when disc space is an issue). NISA may have announced this so that people wouldn't expect every single bit to get dubbed just because there was no Japanese audio. Or because people already were leaping to those conclusions and they were responding to it.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
face desk, the first atelier game i actually have money money spend on/buy and this bull sh** happens. oh well maybe it was meant for me to never get into this franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
The thing I just don't get is that TK thinks that spending the money on doing a dub would help sales more than using less money to secure the Japanese track. Do they know the Atelier audience at all? Its an incredibly niche anime fanbase (Meruru sold like 6k copies by the NPD numbers) that want the original voices. Having dub only would just turn off that niche fanbase. I just have to think that TK has no idea about the fanbase of this game in NA.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
face desk, the first atelier game i actually have money money spend on/buy and this bull sh** happens. oh well maybe it was meant for me to never get into this franchise.

Then use the money to go buy Atelier Totori instead. Then buy Meruru when you get a chance.

Since money is an issue, I'd suggest only buying Rorona after the other two and if you really, really want to see what happened to a few of the characters in the first game. It's really not necessary to play Rorona to enjoy the other two games. But I'd advise against starting with Meruru.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Then use the money to go buy Atelier Totori instead. Then buy Meruru when you get a chance.

Since money is an issue, I'd suggest only buying Rorona after the other two and if you really, really want to see what happened to a few of the characters in the first game. It's really not necessary to play Rorona to enjoy the other two games. But I'd advise against starting with Meruru.

I just looked up the prices, that's too steep for me for pre-owned games let alone new copies that are not even special editions. Oh well at least I've got disgaea to lean on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Haterater wrote:

There are actually quite afew games that are like this, its not really something new. Heck, even the Persona games only have voices during cutscenes and story sequences. Games like this have massive amounts of text, I can't even imagine how much it would cost a small company like NISA to dub it all.

I'm pretty sure the Persona games have full dubs. Everything that's voiced in the Japanese version is voiced in the English version.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The thing I just don't get is that TK thinks that spending the money on doing a dub would help sales more than using less money to secure the Japanese track. Do they know the Atelier audience at all? Its an incredibly niche anime fanbase (Meruru sold like 6k copies by the NPD numbers) that want the original voices. Having dub only would just turn off that niche fanbase. I just have to think that TK has no idea about the fanbase of this game in NA.

They don't because they don't care sadly. :/ This could be like the last Atelier game.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

Why would Tecmo Koei suddenly decide to screw that up?!

Because Tecmo Koei, like basically any medium to large sized video game company that releases games for English speakers, just doesn't care about people who want JP audio. How many of their other games have Japanese audio? I'm guessing very few. The only one I'm aware of is one Dynasty Warriors game released as DLC, and only after fans blowing up at them for not including it.

That's the problem. They just don't see a market. NISA is doing the translating ordered by them basically. The launch so far is looking like a mess. No options basically. It really sucks. :/
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I just looked up the prices, that's too steep for me for pre-owned games let alone new copies that are not even special editions. Oh well at least I've got disgaea to lean on.

You can get Totori for around $45 (plus shipping) from Amazon right now. It's fulfilled by a third party, but its not used.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I guess we'll just have to hope that fans make enough of a ruckus for TK to realize the mistake they're making.

I think the main problem is that the market they're used to is quite different from the actual market for this game. It's really a shame that TK bought Gust. They're not going to make the games more successful for burning their existing fans, and I really feel like they're just not trying to put forth any effort in releasing the game in the first place. I find such a lack of effort insulting as a fan of the franchise.

It would be one thing if this was the first game in the series to get a release on this side of the Pacific, but it's not. I just don't understand why they're releasing it like this. Didn't they do any market research before deciding on things like this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5