• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Creating In-House Department for Tv Movies & Mini-Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, as long as they keep showing gems like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I don't have a problem with it. BTW, My Neighbor Totoro is on tomorrow night on CN as part of their "Radical Spring Break" thing they're doing, be sure to catch it

P.S. I was one of those people who saw Dumb and Dumber, but only because I thought they would add in a few swear words and show the part where Carrey peeked up a girls dress.
herbkir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
If they keep the live action stuff to properties that relate to cartoons or include mixed animation/live action films, I can live with the live-action stuff on a channel that's supposed to be for cartoons. Even if I don't like it.

Obviously, the CN execs are looking over at Disney and Nick and seeing them outdrawing CN 3:1 with mixes of live action and animation, so they feel they have to also run live action along with the animation. But the end result will be Disney, Nick and CN all looking like carbon copies of each other as they chase the same viewer demographic.

Same thing is happening at Adult Swim, where they're playing 2 weeks of a live-action show. (Would you believe Saved by the Bell? Believe it!) They also plan to run the live-action costume fantasy Saul of the Mole People later this year on AS. (^_*)
Kiriska

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
This depresses me to no end.

I know for commercial reasons, it brings them up to speed with their competition, and is a perfectly reasonable decision. But it also goes against the creed on which the network was founded. Does anyone remember the commercial they used to show airs ago on Cartoon Network? "Monday morning, 8 am, you turn on the TV and what do you see? A CARTOON! Thursday afternoon, 5 pm, what do you see? A CARTOON! .. etc 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, until the END OF TIME..." Does anyone remember that? Well now, it might be a live-action show or movie, not a cartoon.

I really wished they would limit their live-action to things that are infused with animation, like Osmosis Jones and Who Framed Rodger Rabbit (man, I loved that movie). It just seems so wrong to me when I turn on the TV and there on Cartoon Network is Honey, I Shrunk Ourselves, or something like that. I also really hate their Friday night hosts. They're incredibly reminscent of Nick and Disney in that they're annoying. Maybe it's just because I'm of an older demographic, I don't know. But am I the only one that thinks it was so much funnier when they had the cartoon casts switch off as hosts?

I really don't approve of a lot of the changes CN has made over the recent years, but I guess I'm just another one of those nostalgic "old" people that miss the "good old days."
dustopants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
well, isn't this quite the oxymoron... Laughing
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
See. what did I tell everybody. I told everyone I know, DON'T WATCH THE LIVE ACTION STUFF! If you watch it, it's just gonna raise their ratings and they're not gonna stop. Well, first MTV, then G4, now Cartoon Network.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that Time Warner doesn't want Cartoon Network, but they're stuck with it because it's the closest they have to challenging Nickelodeon. TW obviously wishes it hadn't sold Nick way back in the 80s, and now that Nick is the powerhouse kids network it is today TW is doing everything they can to groom CN into a Nick-esque block.

This is why they're allowing live-action on a network whose name suggests "animation only". This is why Adult Swim, in an attempt to resemble Nick At Nite, will be showing reruns of "Saved By The Bell". Oh, sure, they can claim that the live-action films they show have the "spirit of cartoons" or something, but it's still an excuse to show more than what their named limits them to showing.

Granted, CN seem to take more risks than other channels and doesn't edit things as much, but it's still a bitter sight to see live-action on a network that's thoroughly being mismanaged right now.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I conpletely agree, I'd even go so far as to say they shouldn't call themselves Cartoon Network anymore. Adding the live action just destroys the meaning that name once held. Oh well, not like I watch much network TV anyways...
RyoShin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I agree. I don't hate live action, but I go to other channels to watch it. Monk, or Law & Order, or Lost or something.

I come to Cartoon Network to watch Cartoons. Cartoons are great because they offer a medium where the potential is limited only by the imagination; you don't have to worry about hissy actors refusing to do certain things, or even the law of physics. You can do almost anything you want; there's a reason there's probably a lot more sci-fi cartoons than live action ones.

I can understand Cartoon Network trying to bolster its ratings (uh, isn't AS and Toonami the biggest rating earners of their time for their targeted ranges?), but it should be done in a different fashion. If you're going to start incoporating live action shows, then change the freaking name. Cartoon Network DOESN'T HAVE NOT CARTOONS. Call it some other goofy name, but don't you dare tell me that it's Cartoons when I'm clearly seeing live action.

At least Comcast had the courtesy to remove the glorious TechTV moniker from the crap fest that is G4.

As for the Saved By the Bell thing- that's just horribly stupid. If you wanted people to watch TV for nostalgia, bring back Sonic the Hedgehog, Doug, or some other Saturday morning cartoon show. Don't give us freaking Saved By the Bell, a mid-rated early 90s 'tween sitcom.

I should just stick to the AS Fix. What's the point in staying up to wait through crap I don't want to watch?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VML

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
Same thing is happening at Adult Swim, where they're playing 2 weeks of a live-action show. (Would you believe Saved by the Bell? Believe it!) They also plan to run the live-action costume fantasy Saul of the Mole People later this year on AS. (^_*)

Is anybody watching Saved by the Bell? People only watch AS for its cartoons and anime, not crappy reruns.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rabbit-man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah why exactly is Adult Swim showing Saved by the Bell? From what I understand Saved by the Bell was just some goofy show for tweens, a demographic that hardly fits Adult Swim, since they measure ratings for 18-34 year olds. I seriously hope/wish/pray it's all a joke.
naeblis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Yea, that's a good point. If CN or AS wants to bring back the nostalgia of old animation, they should bring back things like the old X-Men or Spiderman cartoons or something. The whole Saved by the Bell thing just doesn't do it for me. I liked the show when they used to show it, but now... eh. Or hell, even bring back Swat Cats! I LOVED that show when when they used to show it back on the first incarnation of Toonami. Or... Centurions or something.... Wow, you don't realize how old you are until you start trying to remember stuff and realize that no one within a 10 mile radius would remember this stuff. LOL.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
naeblis wrote:
Yea, that's a good point. If CN or AS wants to bring back the nostalgia of old animation, they should bring back things like the old X-Men or Spiderman cartoons or something.

Old Spiderman/X-Men Cartoons currently air on JETIX on ABC Family.
naeblis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm sure that there are other old, old, very old school shows that they could show. I'm sure Marvel has a whole bunch When I mean old school, I do not mean Chuck Norris's karate show. (shivers...) But there are other ways of getting that nostalgia. Which reminds me, what exactly IS AS's targeted demographic? Isn't it us? the 18-30 odd year olds? Why would AS need to do this to compete with the likes of Nick or even Nick at Nite?
Rabbit-man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I see adult swim's ratings reports on sunday they always say that they are for 18-34 year olds. So I would guess that that age group would be their target.[/quote]
RyoShin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
naeblis wrote:
Isn't it us? the 18-30 odd year olds? Why would AS need to do this to compete with the likes of Nick or even Nick at Nite?

My answer would be for the same reason that they greenlit 12 Oz Mouse, Squidbillies, and Minoriteam...

...except I still haven't figured out that reason yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4