• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Creating In-House Department for Tv Movies & Mini-Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
At least Batman and Spider-Man are based off of animated comics. Can anyone see Lord of the Rings on CN the way things are going right now?

Hey, there were those crappy LotR cartoon movies a while back; I'd say that's enough justification to air the live-action versions, according to their logic.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:

Nick at Nite is the NUMBER ONE NETWORK WITH ADULTS. People like old crap, even if they watch it over and over and over and over.

Ergo, OMG OLD CARTOONZ please!!
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Zippydsm wrote:
XtremeAnimeDan
heres a dumb idea why not run kenshin,trigun or any anime proprty in that tiem slot why must it be a cheap crapy live action flim..oh wait I just answered it..its cheap and it fills time..go forbid they do soemthing productive and run the inu yahsa movies or anything thats chep and animated,I mean realy they should have alot of unused animated movies and dead TV cartoons why not show them....mabye it takes more effort to licnes it and get it and such uhg ><

Dude....properly spelled and punctuated sentences are your friends. USE THEM.

The whole idea here is beyond retarded. Cartoon Network is supposed to be just that...a network for cartoons. They can show all the live action programs that they want, but their core audience won't watch them, because they watch that show to watch cartoons. Sure, the ratings in total might not take a hit, but they lose the dedicated fans, and then they're stuck grasping for straws to keep whatever fans they can.

The same thing happened to MTV. I am the very definition of what should be an MTV viewer. I am obsessed with music. My day is basically divided into two portions: time I'm listening or thinking about music, and time I'm sleeping. I watched MTV obsessively....until they stopped showing videos. But then they started MTV2! Still all videos! And I watched it all the time! And....then they stopped showing videos. Now, not only do I not watch MTV or MTV2, I don't EVER bother to even look at what they're showing. They have gone from having me as a regular viewer to a casual viewer to a complete non-viewer, and while their core audience has evaporated they desperately grasp at straws for something that will appeal to a new audience. Sometimes they succeed (Laguna Beach), sometimes they fail (Andy Milonakis...I've never even seen his show, but I've never spoken to a single person that likes it), but they will never reach the demographic of "I like music, so I'll watch MUSIC television!" ever again.

If Cartoon Network starts stuffing their programming with live action tripe like Saved By the Bell, they'll be facing the same damn problems.

If nobody is wathcing the live action movies, then we wouldn't be having this discussion, but apparently the live action movies have been pulling in higher ratings than some of the cartoon series. This fact alone gives CN the justification they need to make hybrid series.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
naeblis wrote:
Or... Centurions or something.... Wow, you don't realize how old you are until you start trying to remember stuff and realize that no one within a 10 mile radius would remember this stuff. LOL.
I remember that show! I used to watch it all the time back when it was on but I couldn't remember the name of it until you mentioned it. Back in the early '90s we used to only get Cartoon Network during the summer as a trial run and we had to pay extra to get the network. The reason we paid extra for it was because it was a network that aired 24 hours of cartoons. By airing more live-action films and now even TV series, it completely defeats the whole reason why we even have this network. Thankfully, I stopped watching them a long time ago (Cartoon Network started to suck when they reduced their weekday afternoon Toonami block back to two hours instead of three) and I don't even watch much television in general anymore but this is still completely stupid. If they would just change their name to something else, I wouldn't care as much, but they shouldn't be lying to my face by calling themselves the CARTOON Network when they aren't the Cartoon Network anymore. Hopefully, they'll at least have the decency to create their own block for all their live-action programming to keep it away from the animated shows, like they could air a block of live-action programming on Sunday evenings when they never air anything interesting, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
herbkir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
My, my, aren't we sounding like a bunch of crotchety old f*rts longing for the "Good Old Days." (Yes, I'm including myself 'because I don't like the current direction at CN/AS either.)

But the harsh reality is that TV isn't about heritage, art, storytelling or anything else other than RATINGS. TV is a competitive business. It's goal is to make money from sales of commercial airtime minutes whose price is determined by audience size, as measured by the Neilsen ratings system. And ratings don't mean households anymore. TV channels and their advertisers want only certain segments of the population today.

When CN sees the products of its competition doing much better than its own with desired population segments, it does what any other business will do -- change the product lineup to match or better the competitor. It's a pity for us 'toon fans, but when someone whops CN upside the head with a 2X4 called live action, they're gonna pay attention.

Sad fact is that a cartoon-only lineup just doesn't pay the bills anymore. I don't know why, but cartoon programming just isn't the attraction that it once was. Live action stuff on CN is proving to be a strong viewer draw, better even than cartoons. It's getting the ratings, in the right demographics. So we must resign ourselves to seeing more and more of it.

From what I can tell, cartoons still appeal to those 25 and over, but not as much among those 18-24. Plus, a lot of advertisers lately are tending to write off any adult over the age of 24, on the theory that us "senior citizens" have already developed hard-core brand preferences and have too many commitments that inhibit our desire and ability to squander away our hard-earned money. You know, commitments like career, spouse, children, rent/mortgage, car payments, insurance, doctor bills, credit card payments, groceries, clothing etc. Most over-25s are not viewed as the malleable, carefree, live-for-the-moment, free-spending souls advertisers want.

Ever notice how most of the pretty young things featured on TV reality shows are under age 25? Hardly any fall into the 25-34 bracket or older.

Anyway, my arthritis is hurting, and you should hear about my bowels, sonny. I guess I'll go to the park bench and let the spring sun warm my old bones. (^_*)
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
jgreen
if I had a properly working brain grammer would be my frined Razz
But you have a pint they have no idea what thier doing and their going to turn the channle into a mish mash of nothing like MTV.

But its msotly about money sicne they think they can fool with the shows and it not effect rateings,they have the abilty to run 100% cartoon and animation but they would rather be cheap and show crap they show on thier other channles becuse its cheaper,and in the end lose any reason why most watch it 0-o

Its like A&E it was a great channle 3-4 years ago now its mostly "reality" TV and crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
May I ask why this was even reported on this site? Isn't this called the Anime News Network? It's not like this thing has anything to do with Anime in General...Goodness the news about Case Closed on YTV took longer to come up than this and that actually had something to do with Anime in it.

Teletoon has aired Live Action Movies before,One Being Beetle Juice,though aparently Teletoon aired the Live Action Movie before they aired the Animated series.This would have been fine if the Series had already been airing on Teletoon(Which it wasn't),and if the Live Action Movie was based off the Animated Show(Which it wasn't).And Sure some of us Canadians complained but it's Teletoon that network that can barely do anything right anymore.
Beruda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote
Shocked I just don't understand why CN would air Saved by the Bell. Was that ever a good show to begin with?

Basically they can make more money with live-action programing
right now so I don't blame them. I've waited many yrs to see a network dedicated to cartoons so it does make me sad to see what's been happening on CN lately.

I didn't know Nick at Night had those kind of ratings. As someone well into adulthood I personally have no desire to keep viewing the same tired a** shows I watched 30 yrs ago. But I guess I'm in the minority Anime smile
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan
Mmmmmmm that and its cheaper to show crap you already have and are showing on your other channles,its all about money and thier not willing to spend any more on Cartoons,animation.
Mabye they are going thry a faze like Sfi FI did ,you know for a few yeras they liked anime then droped it in favor of Fantsy shows,mabye they will try it for acouple years then drop it and never touch it again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The sad thing about AS showing Saved By the Bell is that it's already being run an hour on TBS every morning. Damn, Warner must really be trying to get their money's worth out of that show.

But as far as the changing nature of Cartoon Network, I'm afraid it's very much a trend that many cable networks are beginning to follow. Once cable channels targeted niche audiences, but now they are continually expanding their programming to reach general audiences. As a result, cable networks such as SciFi, A&E, & G4 (just to name a few) will increasingly resemble the big broadcast networks like NBC, CBS, & FOX.

It won't be too long before we'll see live-action shows (most likely sitcoms) during the Miguzi, Toonami, & Adult Swim blocks, IMO...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Here is a suggestion, ROBOTECH!!!!!

Older people would love to watch that gem, and it has plenty of episodes so they could play it long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
May I ask why this was even reported on this site? Isn't this called the Anime News Network? It's not like this thing has anything to do with Anime in General...Goodness the news about Case Closed on YTV took longer to come up than this and that actually had something to do with Anime in it.

I believe this is posted at Anime News Network because CN happens to broadcast the most anime out of the basic cable networks in the United States. The altering of their schedule to include live action shows makes it less likely to get new Anime on the network.
PrometheusUFO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Old Spiderman/X-Men Cartoons currently air on JETIX on ABC Family.

Actually, they abruptly removed the two Saban animated series from their line-ups on March 1st, pretty much three years after they began airing them. Now they only air that older Spidey & Friends series. I'm thinking the rights to them went back to Marvel, since they went to court with Disney over them a little while back. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Although this doesn't directly affect me at all, I can't help but wonder if CN will be pushing anything else. They've pushed a lot of boundaries in the past twelve months such as age ratings for shows and showing live action. Not that I care either way as long as they stick to catoons or cartoon related stuff. It just gives me a reassuring feeling that CN will be airing cartoony stuff. Otherwise, they'd better change their name.
Alex K.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Here is a suggestion, ROBOTECH!!!!!

Older people would love to watch that gem, and it has plenty of episodes so they could play it long time.

Why? They already showed it on Toonami, and the original Macross series is on DVD for anyone who wants to see it in its pre-Robotech form. And I don't think little kids would care much for some serious sci-fi show from the '80s when they've got the action-packed Naruto with its slick 2002 animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4