• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation April 2013 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
*groan* Rolling Eyes

Thank you. That's a very useful reply (from you) that is so vital and contributive to the issue at hand about an obviously bogus business practice questioned by a consumer (myself) who cares about product quality and not getting screwed over because a company can't even do cases or boxes right. I sense every bit of care and consideration from you as I do from that fine company known as FUNimation Entertainment. I applaud and bow to your wisdom, knowledge, whimsy, and level of effort in giving a rat's patoot.

He's not wrong. We ARE bitching about pieces of paper here. It does serve to make us appear a wee bit obsessive.

But I also like to think people like us contribute to the cause more than anyone. We're like true patrons or some shit. If we're hostile and aggressive enough, it might push Funi to release better products. We need to up our game! We should swear more often!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I reserve swearing for truly aggravating circumstances or to mock certain things in a patronizing manner. The packing fiasco isn't quite to my level of intolerance. But seriously, how difficult can it be to package something? Blu-rays go in Blu-ray cases, DVDs in DVD cases, Blu-ray or DVD-sized artboxes that house Blu-ray or DVD-sized cases, and so on. Does it really go against production costs so much that they can't separate the two formats into their respective cases/artbox sizes?

I'm as patient as they come, so the half/partial-set thing is really just a matter of waiting a while, which I've now learned to do. I'm just baffled by how a company that supposedly thrives on its customers' satisfaction and "fan feedback" can make so many simple screwups in the first place Confused. I want to support FUNi because I like anime and want somebody to try and put the medium on BD. But just because they're the only other major anime company still around doesn't excuse them from being criticized for something that shouldn't even be an issue.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I reserve swearing for truly aggravating circumstances or to mock certain things in a patronizing manner. The packing fiasco isn't quite to my level of intolerance. But seriously, how difficult can it be to package something? Blu-rays go in Blu-ray cases, DVDs in DVD cases, Blu-ray or DVD-sized artboxes that house Blu-ray or DVD-sized cases, and so on. Does it really go against production costs so much that they can't separate the two formats into their respective cases/artbox sizes?

Were you not aware that people will bitch no matter what size/shape/form/color/material/case type the DVD/BD comes in. People complain if they're a combo, they complain if they're separated into two formats, they complain if they used DVD sized packaging, they complain if they used BD sized packaging, they complain if one side of of a reversible cover has a little green stripe on it, hell people would probably even complain if Funi gave them free anime. They can't ever win no matter what they do so they settled for a combo which satisfies the greatest number of people, which was probably one of the whole points of those info gathering surveys they put out regularly. Laughing
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Maybe THAT'S the problem. Too much fan feedback. Fans, 99% of the of the time, have no bloody clue what they're saying, are completely ignorant of industry standards and procedures, and tend to act impulsively than anything. They want something some way, and that's all that matters to them - logistics be damned!

Case in point? Take the whole "it takes too long for anime to come to America!" thing. Well then, wish granted. Be as impatient to your hearts' content. Oh, by the way it's also $400.

Everyone needs fan and customer feedback to nail down a practice. That's just common sense. But letting your fans think for you, that's just inviting epic failure. I mean, how often to fan-games, or fan-patch projects for video games yield success? 10% of the time - maybe even less. Simply because most of them are too excited to be bothered by, I dunno, standards or skill. They're all too busy thinking about what they want here, or what should be here, instead of how or why. Same thing, I guess, is with Funimation. Feedback cards, facebook, the forums (I seen that shit!). It's a mess. And from the looks of it, a surprising little is being filtered. And when someone actually says something logical, it just gets ignored in favor of "WHEN IS INDEX II COMING OUT!?!?!?!"
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Were you not aware that people will bitch no matter what size/shape/form/color/material/case type the DVD/BD comes in. People complain if they're a combo, they complain if they're separated into two formats, they complain if they used DVD sized packaging, they complain if they used BD sized packaging, they complain if one side of of a reversible cover has a little green stripe on it, hell people would probably even complain if Funi gave them free anime. They can't ever win no matter what they do so they settled for a combo which satisfies the greatest number of people, which was probably one of the whole points of those info gathering surveys they put out regularly. Laughing

Which is probably the whole reason they flip-flop so hard. And in turn that same inconsistency is what drives the complaints. I could honestly care less about what sizes/combo/etc they are at this point, as long as all of one series matches. Strike Witches 2's "Put Season 1 right here! [But only if its the BD version we just released a month ago!]" was just plain aggravating.

I just know the same kind of bull will happen when those of us who waited patiently for HLP S2 BDs end up with a lopsided "DVD-sized LE, BD sans LE box, DVD" sandwich.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
Too much fan feedback [...]

And when someone actually says something logical, it just gets ignored in favor of "WHEN IS INDEX II COMING OUT!?!?!?!"

I agree. During one of their Youtube podcasts about 95% of the questions were open-ended speculation about "when is that one title coming out on video" or "will you get this anime, next." While the rest of the comments were "thanks for licensing that one show I like" or "you guys rock." It turned out to be a very fruitless and nonsensical session of nothingness.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I've pretty much given up trying to figure out the FUNimation Packaging Follies at this point. Personally, I don't really display my stuff (a lot of it is piled on the floor since I need to get more shelves) and already have mismatched stuff but I do find their total inconsistency mind-boggling. While adopting a consistent packaging would not satisfy everyone, it would, I think, cut down on a lot of the griping. Perhaps that is the problem though-maybe someone at FUNimation thinks that all this bickering about packaging is a good thing, on the theory that "any publicity is good publicity".

Then again, it could be that the packaging department is staffed by ex-government employees. As the saying goes, "there are three ways to do any job-the right way, the wrong way, and the government way". Or, as the sign one of my former managers had on his desk said: "Official US Government Policy: If it's not broken, fix it until it is.".
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I agree. During one of their Youtube podcasts about 95% of the questions were open-ended speculation about "when is that one title coming out on video" or "will you get this anime, next." While the rest of the comments were "thanks for licensing that one show I like" or "you guys rock." It turned out to be a very fruitless and nonsensical session of nothingness.

It might be too much to ask for, but you're a forum moderator on ANN. Which, by all accounts, is a site Funimation pays attention, right? Would it be too much to inspire an editor to do an article or column or something to address Funi's recent follies, instead of the usual bullshit they're asked on their home turf? I mean, if their podcast is fruitless, take it to a venue where reason reigns supreme right?

If not an editorial, then surely you can pester Zac to point it out next time he does an interview with a rep, right? Obsessive, we may be, it's still an issue worth addressing since from a practical AND business standpoint, it makes no damn sense and is a nuisance to those who frequently buy their products.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac and I don't really get along, so that's a negatory. But I know for a fact that FUNi's marketing guy, Lance Heiskell, checks on these forums every now and then. I've no idea how much information and opinion he's capable of actually conveying to the people in packaging, though. But I really want them to get back on the ball because I loved the packaging practices they used to have when they had artboxes and collector's editions out the wazoo with releases like their "Gonzo 3" (Basilisk, Speed Grapher, and Trinity Blood). Those were freakin' awesome just from a design perspective and (*gasp*) actually consistent between themselves. Oh, how the mighty have fallen Crying or Very sad..
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Speak for yourself. I actually got a splinter from my Basilisk box when I first got it. >_>
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
So wait....singles are better than half sets now? Haha, noooooo.

*credibility = Out the window*
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
So wait....singles are better than half sets now? Haha, noooooo.

*credibility = Out the window*

I'm just talkin' packaging >_>... The math between the two is pretty obvious. I was just happy the packing standards were consistent (and the presentation of the boxes and slips were cool to look at, too).
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
About time they got around to Fam. Definitely going to re-watch the original 2004 series sometime soon. Very Happy
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
Pieces of cardboard, people.

Cardboard.

That's all they are. That's all they ever were. That's all they ever will be.

You are literally getting bent out of shape and losing your collective shit over pieces of cardboard.

I just want that to sink in. Just.... let that sink in. Confused

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they don't put it in a spindle case or a ziploc bag, I could care less what sort of packaging they put it in. Sure, I like nice pretty artboxes just as much as anyone, but I don't get all huffy and curse the company's name if they don't give me one. As long as it holds my DVD safely and securely, that's all that matters.

And really, most of you store your DVD sets on bookshelves, right? With the spine facing outwards? In that case, you're only gonna be looking at the front or back when you take the discs out of the box. What's the big deal about how pretty it looks anyway?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8