• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kodansha License Requests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeityofDestiny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
I want to say new Kumeta manga, but it's clearly way too soon for that so instead I'll just mention Joshiraku.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks for making this thread. Here's my 2 cents. Sadness about the lack of Nodame (even omnibuses would have been OK...), but I'll take this chance to say I'd love to get Chihayafuru, Space Brothers, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Sukitte Ii na yo, and of course Princess Jellyfish. Seconding the request to rerelease Life as well, I've been really enjoying Limit and Vertical say they won't do rescues. I've not been reading as many scans as I used to, but more josei is always a good thing. Some of us are starting to outgrow shojo manga!
sailor53

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:09 am Reply with quote
I would love to see the following:

01.) Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: I recently watched the anime and would love to read the manga.

02.) Princess Jellyfish: The anime was good, but I would like to read the original story. I would also like to see what happens after the animes ending.

03.) Saint Tail: I know it is a little old, but it is only 7 volumes including the extra chapters volume. Tokyopop released it flipped years ago. I would definitely re-buy it if it had a better translation and was unflipped.

04.) The Cherry Project: Again it is a little old I guess, but it could be released as one omnibus containing all 3 volumes. I would love to be able to read another Naoko Takeuchi series in English.

05.) Mysterious Girlfriend X: Both the anime and the manga look really good. I would love to be able to read the original manga.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
(It's fine to mention if you would like Vertical to license stuff. We can only publish so much per year, and there are a lot of titles that we wouldn't really consider that they perhaps might. I'd just advise you to make sure you've taken Vertical's new survey. That'll have a little more impact than just mentioning something on this thread, I'd think. Anime hyper)

No worries there. I filled it in the moment I saw it Very Happy

Also, I can't believe I forgot about Space Brothers and Saint Young Men. I fourth/fifth/whateverth those!
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
Just throwing in yet another suggestion for Tonari Kaibutsu-kun. I've been wanting to read this series for quite a while now as I've heard nothing but good things about the anime which has proved to be quite popular, so I have no doubt the manga would be, too. It's also well under the 20 volume cap at a completed length of 12 volumes.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
... more josei is always a good thing. Some of us are starting to outgrow shojo manga!

Quoted for truth. It's why I'm veering toward stuff like Space Brothers and Princess Jellyfish.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm adding in another vote for Princess Jellyfish. ^^

But I second Sailor S's question about rescuing titles that Tokyopop had held. I'd love to see a reprint of King of Bandits Jing and King of Bandits Jing: Twilight Tales.
Gigikun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The only real title I can think of is Space Brothers (Uchû Kyôdai). The series is at almost at its 200th chapter and it has recently had a live-action movie and a still ongoing anime series. The anime as well as the movie have gotten very positive reviews from Japanese people as well as American/European... people even though the mangaka's only famous series is this one.

I personally own the manga volumes and I can say for a fact that once I started reading the series I couldn't stop until I had finished reading all 18 volumes (20th volume'll come out in February). So if you can find a translator that is even only half decent the series will still undoubtedly know a huge success thanks to the amazing artwork and compelling story that might even encourage people to follow their long lost dreams they had when they were kids.

Furthermore, because the story revolves around two brothers who spend most of their time in the U.S. at the NASA base and in a certain international environment the Japanese specific terminology/rituals/habits... that necessitate a certain knowledge of the Japanese culture aren't all that frequent compared to other manga series making it into the perfect gateway for "newbies" to the world of manga.

The series is also written in a way that, I believe, even kids might enjoy it as well as adults making it an even more interesting series because of the huge potential target audience.[/b]
Dorian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Can we add novels to the mix? I would like to see the rest of Fuyumi Ono's The Twelve Kingdoms translated. Especially since some new stories have been published.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Dorian wrote:
Can we add novels to the mix? I would like to see the rest of Fuyumi Ono's The Twelve Kingdoms translated. Especially since some new stories have been published.

The first post stated:

ZepysGirl wrote:
4. I'm also not looking for light novels (because I know someone will ask).
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Seeing how Vinland Saga will be coming out soon, I think a nice re-release of Planetes might be in order if they're interested in doing re-releases. It's a fantastic manga and it's sadly out of print, and it's a lot shorter, so it might make a nice two vol omnibus and good advertising for the upcoming Vinland Saga release. Then again, Kodansha did re-release Tokyo Mew Mew and that series is far inferior to Planetes, so re-releases of older Tokyopop series can't be entirely out of the question.

(I've heard a lot about Planetes. I'll have to read it someday.)

Oh, but this is another point I wanted to mention. It's far, far too late to talk about publishing a series in 2013, especially something quick enough to be in time for the Vinland Saga release. Nothing I'd be putting on my lists would see the light of day until 2014 or later. (and if anything, Vinland Saga's popularity would help along a potential re-release of Planetes, not the other way around. Didn't Planetes sell really poorly last time?) It's something I didn't really understand until I got here, but all of these things are planned so far in advance, it's a little ridiculous. Laughing

...There are lots of little girls out there who love Tokyo Mew Mew (I was one of them). The series that are getting re-released (Negima, Genshiken, etc) are the ones with enough demand to justify it.

Paploo wrote:
I kind of assume Hajime no Ippo is an implausible choice (wayyyyyy too long for our market), though I would go for a "best of" release like VIZ's 6 vol ed. of Tough of 13 vol. edition of Golgo 13.

Ha, yeah, I almost put "No Hajime no Ippo, please, we're already well aware" up there in the rules. If only there was a light novel adaption, it would manage to break every rule all on its own. Anime hyper

The way I see it, a "best of" collection would just be inviting backlash. You'd constantly get blamed forever for not "finishing" the series, regardless of if you'd only intended to do a collection like that in the first place. :/ Don't take my word as gospel (as I said, just a lowly intern here!), but I don't see why any publisher would do that?

OniTasku wrote:
First off, hi Morgan! Thanks for taking the time to field some responses and open up a dialog between us (fans) and Kodansha Comics! Always happy to see a publisher taking the initiative to interact and level with fans.

Hello, too! Very Happy Those are my thoughts as well. As I said, I really do appreciate it when publishers talk with their fans. This is kind of half-way, in that I'm me speaking for me, not really me speaking for Kodansha. (Hopefully I'll get to do more social media stuff as the semester goes on, though!) And wow, thank you for being so detailed with your suggestions!

Dorian wrote:

You and me both. Anime hyper But, no light novels! Razz

...is What Did You Eat Yesterday? anything like Not Love But Delicious Foods Make Me So Happy? Because I was reading Yen's release of that and dang, there are so many ways to describe food. It was like watching an episode of Iron Chef endlessly stuck on the judging section. Laughing That must have been quite difficult for the translator!

Also, RE:sports manga-- I like them too, guys. Eyeshield 21 is amazing. (On that note, I really need to subscribe to Shonen Jump so I can read Onepunch Man! Anime hyper) There's no "hate" from anyone I've talked to, it's just that most of those series don't seem to do very well, for whatever reason. :/ (Pssst, Viz, license Kuroko no Basuke! I believe in you!)

Also: I've been told I'm allowed to tell y'all that Chihayafuru just ain't happening. It is too esoteric. Sorry!

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
While I've been a fan of the anime for years and have always been disappointed it was never licensed for North American release, I just recently picked up the first two volumes of the Moyashimon manga.

As I had suspected, only those two Del-Ray-pulished volumes are available in NA, but the series has gone on in Japan. I'd enjoy being able to read further in, since I liked what was there. The "Moyashimon Returns" TV series elevated the series' profile in more recent times, adapting another chunk of the story, so it's not completely off the radar. How many other series combine college hijinks, use of science for (sometimes seedy) personal gain, and a main character who sees microbes with the naked eye and can chit-chat with them?

In addition, while some might say, "What appeal does a series set in an agricultural college have?", it's worth noting that Hiromu Arakawa's Silver Spoon has a similar setting and is lighting up the charts in Japan.

Moyashimon has a unique, interesting premise, and the fun kinds of mischief and self-defining experimentation people enjoy from school stories - except set in college instead of the traditional high school setting. I think it's a winning story, and have wanted to see Kodansha take up publishing duties on it.

Last edited by ittoujuu on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:

...is What Did You Eat Yesterday? anything like Not Love But Delicious Foods Make Me So Happy? Because I was reading Yen's release of that and dang, there are so many ways to describe food. It was like watching an episode of Iron Chef endlessly stuck on the judging section. Laughing That must have been quite difficult for the translator!

It's the story of a gay couple, slice of life. It's not yaoi though, as far as I know.

From ANN's encyclopedia entry, Kinō Nani Tabeta?: "Kakei Shirou is a dedicated lawyer who juggles the crazy antics of his carefree boyfriend, his nosy parents and coworkers, and his own desires to cook a tasty meal every night."

I know a lot of the manga bloggers want this title brought over, as well as Fumi Yoshinaga fans.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:

Also, RE:sports manga-- I like them too, guys. Eyeshield 21 is amazing. (On that note, I really need to subscribe to Shonen Jump so I can read Onepunch Man! Anime hyper) There's no "hate" from anyone I've talked to, it's just that most of those series don't seem to do very well, for whatever reason. :/ (Pssst, Viz, license Kuroko no Basuke! I believe in you!)

wasn't talkin about hate from the publishers im laying the blame for the lack of sales at the feet of the fans. The sports titles sell really well in japan but over there in the states not so hot and i dont know about over here seeing as we're just begging table scraps for all out fare.

Hell even the sports anime gets a kicking. Ippo sold like crap i believe, oofuri has a second season that we'll never get because the first didn't sell well enough (i got both the dvds) and the list goes on buy i could start a whole new topic on it.

Viz are doing quite well for putting out sports stuff as I have Slam dunk, REAL, Eyeshield 21, cross game and hikaru no go falls into the category.

and yeah i agree a "best of ippo" isnt the way to go because i love it all so to chop bits out would only serve to cause the backlash you mentioned.
Francesca9109

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I want to say "Saint Young Men" but, I hear the author doesn't want it published in english because, she's afraid of offending us.

1. If you can't get "Princess Jellyfish" then, I suggest [u]"Himawari Kenichi Legend"[/u] by the same author, Akiko Higashimura. I don't know how long it is, though.

2. Adventurer Shinyaku Arsene Lupin , i'm not talking about Lupin the 3rd, this manga is based on the original Maurice Leblanc novels.

3. "Coppers" by Natsume Ono. I bought Danza & I really would like to see more Natsume Ono from Kodansha Usa.

4. "What did you eat Yesterday" by Fumi Yoshinaga

5. "Hataraki Man" by Moyocco Anno, Vertical also published Sakuran by her & I hope to see more.

Also, I have a question, when will Kodansha Usa announce their next license for 2013?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9