• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Popular manga titles ending

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milcor1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Three very popular manga titles have finished or are near their ending soon (from AOD).

20th Century Boys has finally ended in Big Comic Spirits issue 21-22. The last volume will go on sale in Japan in October.

Genshiken is ending with issue #7 of Afternoon. That will probably make it 8 volumes in total.

And Death Note looks like it is coming to an end. The chapter title in Jump #24 for Death Note is "Final".

Samurai Deeper Kyo is also ending.

While 20CB dragged a bit towards the end, it's still a great great manga that I can't wait to begin purchasing here. Genshiken is also another one of the titles I always look forward too on release dates and 8 volumes sounds like a good length considering its subject matter. Finally Death Note ends, and while it wasn't one of my favorites, I'm glad the mangaka didn't decide to drag it on merely due to popularity and decided to end it when they felt it needed to end.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much happy that most of those series are ending (I could give two craps about Samurai Deeper Kyo). There really wasn't anywhere else Urasawa could take 20thCB. He could have made it 30+ if he'd handled the spoiler[second jump forward in time] better, but I'm confident it'll end with a bang. Genshiken is another one that could have gone on longer, but I suspect that he was running out of ideas so better to end it rather than attempt to drag it on.
As for Death Note, it ran into alot of problems a LOOONNGG time ago, but hopefully the ending will be somewhat redeeming for most of the series.
milcor1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
As for Death Note, it ran into alot of problems a LOOONNGG time ago, but hopefully the ending will be somewhat redeeming for most of the series.

I agree that Death Note stumbled alot earlier than it should have but I'm still sort of surprised that it's going to be ending at *only* around 110 chapters considering its huge popularity. A movie, novel, and an inevitable anime that's gonna come out that I can just forsee people clamoring as "the next big thing" once those fansubs start showing up Confused....
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:

I agree that Death Note stumbled alot earlier than it should have but I'm still sort of surprised that it's going to be ending at *only* around 110 chapters considering its huge popularity. A movie, novel, and an inevitable anime that's gonna come out that I can just forsee people clamoring as "the next big thing" once those fansubs start showing up Confused....

Well, when they do make the anime, the only diffrence between DN fanboys and Naruto/Bleach fanboys is the DN ones will be pretensious and think of themselves as intellectuals because Death Note is TOTALLY the most mature manga in Shonen Jump, which automatically makes it the best manga ever! I can hardly wait Rolling Eyes
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:

Samurai Deeper Kyo is also ending.

I was wondering if it would ever end. Maybe Tokyopop will start releasing the volumes more quickly then.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
I stumbled onto a pasted-together scan of the final chapter of Death Note on an image uploader. I was looking at it trying to figure out what was going on and when I saw "The End" at the bottom of the picture, I thought, "What?" and then "ohhHHHhhh..."
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I stumbled onto a pasted-together scan of the final chapter of Death Note on an image uploader. I was looking at it trying to figure out what was going on and when I saw "The End" at the bottom of the picture, I thought, "What?" and then "ohhHHHhhh..."

now what were you doing looking at scans... Rolling Eyes staff these days...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
I've never read Death Note, but I actually am fairly impressed that it is being ended relatively short, despite popularity. One thing I hate most is the series that go on and on and on with no clearly contained story. Not sure if I will ever read Death Note, but it ending is definitely a point in its favour in my books.
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Wowowow, I'm STUNNED at what the f**k is going on with 20CB. If you don't mind spoilers, just read the linked article to understand what I mean.

Is it really over or not?!

http://www.comipress.bgdigital.net/post1145942851.html
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
Well, according to BCS, 20th may not be ending after all. It appears Urasawa is pulling a Takehiko Inoue and putting the series on hiatus till 2007. I'll assume he wants to wrap up Pluto because of the hype surrounding it, not to mention he may need some time to think up even more insane twists for 20th.
I said I was pretty satisfied with Urasawa ending it before, but if he honestly thinks he can continue the narrative, then I'd say go for it. I can't imagine where he'll take the story, but his track record is great and this is definitally his best series, so if it's half as fun as it has been, I'm looking forward to reading it.

EDIT: Looks like milcor1 beat me to it.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
now what were you doing looking at scans...

Wondering why the hell there was manga on a j-pop artist picture site, mostly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1