• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noctis313

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
hibito should've used his flare half way to the top of the valley, so he would indicate that they're moving there and would've saved time for the other astronauts to reach them. Reaching the surface, he should've standed still to conserve oxygen...
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I am never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to get tired of that OP. I think it might be my favorite one of all time. Have to think about that a bit.

Anyway, after seeing episode 41, seems easy to guess what happens next: spoiler[Azuma will talk Mission Control into at least sending one of the unmanned rovers over to the area Mutta suggested, so they'll send Brian, which will coincidentally provide Hibito with an oxygen supply just as he's running out.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Anyway, I don't see how giving them a second flare would be a problem. What if the first one is a dud for some reason? And you can't really tell me that an extra flare for each person is going to weigh them down that much.

Flares are an absolute last resort. With NASA's Luna orbiters patrolling the skies, Hibito and Damien were never supposed to go out of radio contact anyway. And if they ever did lose radio contact, NASA would send a rescue mission to their last-known position. Therefore I'm actually surprised that they were even given flares in the first place.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
As for the flare producing heat, yes it would produce a tremendous amount of heat, but he should have shot it up so he would be found.

If you're ever stranded anywhere, you're taught to take actions that make you get found and rescued sooner rather than ones that make you survive there longer.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
im somewhat disappointed that the mysterious glint of light turned out to be spoiler[Brian's astronaut figure]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 43
spoiler[
Anyone a little annoyed with the way-too-convenient means that Hibito is saved after his entire backup oxygen tank was depleted?]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
I was annoyed with how slow the episode went. We were told spoiler[about Brian-3 being sent to the location Mutta had pointed out two episodes ago, so it wasn't a deus ex machina, but it was silly to have Hibito suddenly be able to stand up and walk after he's already collapsed from hypoxia. There's cutting it close and then there's that.]
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Episode 43
spoiler[
Anyone a little annoyed with the way-too-convenient means that Hibito is saved after his entire backup oxygen tank was depleted?]

Yeah, this whole arc was kind of awkwardly handled. Well, not the whole thing, just many parts of it.

I did think that Hibito's spoiler['death' scene was actually pretty disturbing, how he thrashed around and yelled for a while, then fell silent and motionless and collapsed. As someone who has been almost killed by poisoning/oxygen deprivation (got bad CO poisoning when I was young), I can say that the scene was chillingly realistic.]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I was annoyed with how slow the episode went. We were told spoiler[about Brian-3 being sent to the location Mutta had pointed out two episodes ago, so it wasn't a deus ex machina, but it was silly to have Hibito suddenly be able to stand up and walk after he's already collapsed from hypoxia. There's cutting it close and then there's that.]

spoiler[I know about the machine being sent. I meant the fact it came just as Hibito's air supply ran out that felt too convenient considering the series was dragging out the countdown of Hibito's air supply running out.] And yeah, I think this was another arc in the series that seemed too dragged out, though nowhere as bad as spoiler[the third exam phase with Mutta from earlier in the show.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:01 am Reply with quote
So they showed us some stuff about Hibito from the past.
The process of learning and training.
Finding Brian on the moon was nice.
Everyone was desperate as the last few minutes of air were running out.
spoiler[It was lucky that air generator showed up in the last moment.]
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
As for the flare producing heat, yes it would produce a tremendous amount of heat, but he should have shot it up so he would be found.

OTOH, they should have been able to see spoiler[Hibito using the flare the way he did] anyway.

I wrote:
Anyway, after seeing episode 41, seems easy to guess what happens next: spoiler[[...] so they'll send Brian, which will coincidentally provide Hibito with an oxygen supply just as he's running out.]

Um, episode 43 then? 44? Forgot to factor in the past pacing of this show...
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I had actually forgotten they'd sent Brian 3 to his location, so I was fully expecting Hibito to die there and I have to agree that the scene was more chillingly realistic than I expected. There are some parts that aren't realistic (like his oxygen supply remaining constant even though he was running and stuff) but otherwise I was happy enough with that save.]

Is it just me or does it seem like we don't have enough episodes for this to run it's course at it's current pacing?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem like we don't have enough episodes for this to run it's course at it's current pacing?

That's what I've been worrying about from the beginning.

After they get back, (big spoiler for what will be coming next -->) spoiler[Hibito has go to through rehabilitation for his trauma,] which takes up a chunk of chapters in the manga.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
It's continuing on past 48, in a new time slot late Saturday afternoons, too.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-30/japan-ytv-to-move-space-brothers-to-saturday
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
It's continuing on past 48, in a new time slot late Saturday afternoons, too.

Did not notice that. Thanks for the heads up! The new time will be much better for me since I can never wake up early on Sundays to watch it real-time. ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 43