• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Special Offer: Renta! "Moe Manga Bestseller 2012" Promotion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkonezero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
This is the first time I've seen this website, so I have two questions.

1. Are most of the manga erotica?

2. Why does there seem to be so little information about some of the series and their authors?

A quick example of this is Real Maid R2 whose author is Kenjiro Kakimoto, Real Maid doesn't seem to be a listed series ANN or Baka-Updates and there isn't a clear bibliography of Kenjiro's works. Is most of Renta's material hard to find or something else?
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
I gotta say, I do love their advertisements here on ANN - they know how to catch them eyeballs. "Town Fertility"!? How could I NOT want to know what the deal is with that??

It does seem that most of their English language selection is currently romance manga aimed at girls and ecchi manga aimed at boys (plus yaoi material which seems to mainly be from Digital Manga). They've also got Vampire Hunter D, also Digital Manga's, and what appears to be CMX's verison of Crayon Shin-chan.

More recently, they added some historical samurai stuff (Serizawa's Ambition and The Crimson Demon of War), which has me interested in what other directions they end up going in.
Annf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
darkonezero wrote:
A quick example of this is Real Maid R2 whose author is Kenjiro Kakimoto, Real Maid doesn't seem to be a listed series ANN or Baka-Updates and there isn't a clear bibliography of Kenjiro's works. Is most of Renta's material hard to find or something else?

Are those databases particularly thorough when it comes to manga? I was under the impression that English manga databses only cover a small fraction of what's published in Japan.

Kakimoto had one of his series, Futari Gurashi, turned into a 10-minute TV anime in the late 90s (36 episodes).
ANN has that entry in the anime database, but doesn't list the original author on it, and has an incorrect image of an unrelated manga on the page (Itsuka Dareka to Futari Gurashi, by Morio Rina, which isn't even in ANN's manga database, nor is Futari Gurashi itself).
darkonezero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
darkonezero wrote:

Are those databases particularly thorough when it comes to manga? I was under the impression that English manga databses only cover a small fraction of what's published in Japan.

Kakimoto had one of his series, Futari Gurashi, turned into a 10-minute TV anime in the late 90s (36 episodes).
ANN has that entry in the anime database, but doesn't list the original author on it, and has an incorrect image of an unrelated manga on the page (Itsuka Dareka to Futari Gurashi, by Morio Rina, which isn't even in ANN's manga database, nor is Futari Gurashi itself).

Baka-Updates is generally pretty good with its manga database, but Kamimoto only has two titles listed there, including Futari Gurashi.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
This "best seller "tag, does that mean "best seller for all manga in Japan", or "best seller for just Renta"? Because if that's for all of Japan............manga must be in a worse shape than I was lead to believe.
Gamescook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a joke article at first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1