• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Gets the Boot in Fall Kids WB Schedule

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
Tom and Jerry on the WB? i never thought that would happen. i sure hope "Legion of Superheroes" is good, since they cancelled Teen Titans for it.
enoshi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
I've got 2 say i'm glad they gave pokemon the boot! Very Happy
Alex K.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
Good for you, but some people (not me) like Pokemon.

So how does this affect the new dub that was supposed to premiere this weekend?

I have a feeling Pokemon will become a Toonami exclusive like One Piece. What I want to know is why Kids' WB pulled all their anime series and replaced them with this children's crap like Pillow Head Hour (WTF?) and remakes of old cartoons no one cares about (Tom and Jerry). I guess Toonami's the only place for the young kids to watch anime these days (which is a good thing, since they're letting up on edits).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
Sounds like they're cutting their losses.

In the past no one cared if American companies sliced & diced product from other contries to suit their needs, but with anime becoming more popular, they're hearing more & more complaints from fans about killing shows. On the other hand, I am regularly horrified by comments of co-workers about their prescious darlings being scared of this or that movie (I told one woman whose son is the same age as my daughter Lord of the Rings was great & my then 12 yr-old loved it. The woman was quite upset the Orcs gave her son nightmares.) One little thing & the parents will scream it's too violent or creating a bad image.

Better to stick with something they can control from the script-stage.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
The Pillow Head Hour will not be reruns of other shows on the block. The Pillow Head hour will be an hour of educational programming that the network is still in negotiation for. This is made clear in the Kids' WB! on the CW press release.

As far as the Anime goes, Yu-Gi-Oh! will be finished next month (or in May), and Poke'Mon will most likely be moving to CN for the remainder of their premieres. Viewtiful Joe is the sad anime that seems to be rejected by most of the ratings, and they'll hopefully manage to rebound on CN.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I don't watch Pokemon anymore, but Kids WB won't be the same without it Sad
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
Why on earth are they remaking Tom & Jerry and Scooby-Doo?! THese toons are old and need to be left alone so they can age with dignity. After YGO ends I'll have no reason to watch Kids' WB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
After YGO ends I'll have no reason to watch Kids' WB.

Same here. Once the final Yu-Gi-Oh! episodes air next month, that'll be it for me and Kids' WB.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
What's wrong with Tom and Jerry? I used to love that show, and if they can pull it off, hey, why not? I mean, judging it before it's even there? Isn't that like judging anime based on stereotypes like fanservice, hentai and the kid titles?

Quote:
What I want to know is why Kids' WB pulled all their anime series and replaced them with this children's crap...

I imagine because it's called Kids WB.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
What's wrong with Tom and Jerry? I used to love that show, and if they can pull it off, hey, why not? I mean, judging it before it's even there? Isn't that like judging anime based on stereotypes like fanservice, hentai and the kid titles?
You forget that is the day and age where kids play with, uh, Rock 'em Sock 'em Robobots and Holo Hops while doing the drugs with their pagers. Blah to them all! Tom and Jerry is still... hip and pop in fresh in my book.
Keonyn wrote:
I imagine because it's called Kids WB.
If you ever use logic on this board again. *Shakes his fist.*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kyo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see they are bringing The Batman back. :)
coldspider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
The whole low ratings excuse is a load of BS too.As far as Pokemon is concerned that is.

From Toonzone

http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost.php?p=2035076&postcount=132

Quote:
Let's start with the Top 5 overall in K6-11 and the Top 5 broadcast network shows in K6-11. Remember, all calculations are based on the numbers given by Cynopsis Kids and are just estimates, and that these only count Saturday morning airings only!

Top 5 Overall Kids' 6-11 Shows Season-to-Date (9/10/05-12/31/05)
Ratings here computed by averaging all airings of that show this season.
1 (1) SpongeBob SquarePants, 5.78
2 (2) The Fairly OddParents, 5.64
3 (3) Catscratch, 4.97
4 (4) Danny Phantom, 4.32
5 (5) The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, 3.91

Top 5 Broadcast Network Kids' 6-11 Shows Season-to-Date (9/10/05-12/31/05)
1 (11) Pokémon: Advanced Challenge/Advanced Battle, 2.77
2 (15) Loonatics Unleashed, 2.49
3 (16) Xiaolin Showdown, 2.48
4 (17) Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island, 2.40
5 (18) Johnny Test, 2.32

Notables in the Top 25:
6. Avatar: The Last Airbender
9. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
21. That's So Raven

Other Toon Zone Notables (57 shows met the minimum requirement of five airings during the survey period):
26. Yu-Gi-Oh: Grand Championship/Dawn of the Duel
27. Winx Club
28. Kim Possible
36. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
42. One Piece <----- lol
(Note: If anyone wants a ranking or official numbers for any shows listed here/not listed here, please let me know!)

Well, there were definitely some surprises over the fall, but it's still the regular suspects at the top of the list. 'SpongeBob SquarePants' pulled away from 'Fairly Oddparents' in the final weeks of '05 to win the overall #1 Saturday morning show award, while 'Pokémon' cruised to the #1 broadcast spot.

So where are the surprises, you ask? Three freshman shows winning their network their titles. 'The Suite Life of Zack & Cody' for ABC is one, though we knew it would give 'That's So Raven' a run for its money. 'Brandy & Mr. Whiskers' took Disney Channel's title, though they mostly cater to preschoolers on Saturday mornings. The biggest title winner surprise, well, at least to us here at TZ, was the 4KidsTV title being taken by 'Bratz.'

The other titles were taken by 'Codename: Kids Next Door' (Cartoon Network), 'Dora the Explorer' (Nick Jr. on CBS), and 'Trading Spaces: Boys vs. Girls' (Discovery Kids on NBC). For the winners' full numbers, look below!

Network Numbers, Kids 6-11 (9/10/05-12/31/05)
This is where all of the 8 networks (5 broadcast, 3 cable) stand as of December 31, 2005. Final numbers arrived at by adding all of the ratings from every show that aired on the network this season, and dividing by the total number of shows. Included after each network's rating is the channel's #1 show and its rating.
Note: Though mini-marathons are counted, airings of specials/movies are not. Therefore, the ratings for the following are not counted in this measurement: 'Danny Phantom: Ultimate Enemy' (9/17), 'The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy Christmas' (12/17 & 12/24), 'Krypto the Superdog' (12/24), 'Rolie Polie Olie' (12/24), 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' (12/24), 'Olive the Other Reindeer' (12/24), 'House of Mouse Christmas' (12/24), 'Johnny Bravo Christmas' (12/24), 'The Night Before Christmas' (12/24), 'That's So Raven' [1 hr episode, Disney Channel] (12/31).
1. Nickelodeon, 4.57 ('SpongeBob Squarepants,' 5.78)
2. Cartoon Network, 2.87 ('Codename: Kids Next Door,' 3.10)
3. Kids' WB, 2.21 ('Pokémon,' 2.77)
4. ABC Kids, 1.66 ('The Suite Life of Zack & Cody,' 2.15)
5. Disney Channel, 1.42 ('Brandy & Mr. Whiskers,' 2.25)
6. 4KidsTV, 1.35 ('Bratz,' 1.83)
7. Nick Jr. on CBS, 0.66 ('Dora the Explorer,' 0.87)
8. Discovery Kids on NBC, 0.62 ('Trading Spaces: Boys vs. Girls,' 0.76)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
Why on earth are they remaking Tom & Jerry and Scooby-Doo?! THese toons are old and need to be left alone so they can age with dignity. After YGO ends I'll have no reason to watch Kids' WB.

Because they have no original ideas and even if they did, it would end up like Cow and Chicken.
Kyjin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
No reason to watch Kids WB anymore. >.< Well, except for Xialin Showdown, but that's on CN too...

I'm annoyed that they're scrapping Pokemon though. :/ I don't watch it that much, but it's nice to put on if there isn't anything else up on a Saturday morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what this Legion of Superheroes' is going to be about? Is this another follow up to 'Justice League' (which will be ending soon - last season)?

As far as a all new 'Tom & Jerry' (if that's what it is), then that can go to hell for all I care. Sorry, I'm tired of remakes of the old shows just. Surely, we did NOT forget 'Tom & Jerry' kids? I guess the good humor these days in shows is now becoming a dying breed.

As for 'Pokemon' I agree 'WB' won't be fun without it. I wonder if the series has ceased production? Haven't seen any sighs of new seasons. However a movie is always in the works. Like the one that was out, I think last year. Which is supposed to be airing here.

Ah, well. I'm be curious to see if 'Pretty Cure' boosts 'FoxBox's ratings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3