• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Poppy Hill, 6 Other Ghibli Films to Screen in Massachusetts

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terminus24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
The show times are good, so I'll most likely go see at least one of these. Not sure what to see, though, never seen any Ghibli films before... Any suggestions?
Setsura1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:
The show times are good, so I'll most likely go see at least one of these. Not sure what to see, though, never seen any Ghibli films before... Any suggestions?

It's really impossible to pick one, if I had to narrow it down to 3 they would be My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and Princess Mononoke. I might go to this too, but its a long drive. I suggest any of the three I mentioned, though Princess Mononoke was what brought me into the Ghibli films.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:

If it's a good theater, I'd be remiss to not tell you "See all of them". Watching films on the big screen with good sound is unbeatable, it's not something you can ever replicate at home unless you pour a lot of money and a lot of space trying to recreate what already exists. I kick myself for not seeing 2001 when it was recently at my theater for one of those "Classic Wednesday" things Cinemark has, but it wasn't a 70mm projection... so I don't feel too awful. I don't think I'd ever pass up a chance to see anime shown in any format, unless the theater was terrible.

If you can't see them all, try Wikipedia and Google to find out premises. Read reviews. Don't you already do this for normal Hollywood films?

Quote:
"Big cities" will then receive the film in the following two weeks, and still more cities the week after.

Hoping it comes here, but I have my doubts it'll arrive at my normal theaters. I'd certainly go then, but I won't travel down south to the theater that typically gets anime stuff to see it again.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Man! I'm praying that they'll bring these to either Evansville or Nashville, those are the only "Big" cities near my town. If I could go that would be a dream come true and it would make up for missing Spirited Away in theatres when I was a kid. I mean when it first came out in 2001 I was just old enough to enjoy movies, but seeing that my parents aren't all that big into the "foreign movie" thing I never saw it in theatres. As for the others I wasn't even born when they were in theatres. There's just one thing wrong with this... where in the world is Kiki's Delivery Service!? But still it would be pretty amazing to see Spirited Away in the big screen as well as Totoro, so yeah I hope whoever lives in Massachusetts gets a chance to see these films. I bet it would be amazing, and I'll continue to pray that they'll bring these films to Nashville or Evansville because even if I have to go a hour or two hours away just to go see a Ghibli movie in theaters I will, because they're THAT amazing!

terminus24 wrote:

I've never seen a bad Ghibli film (ok well one, but its not one of the ones being shown in theaters.) If I were you I'd go see Totoro, its an absolute classic and you'll find out the back story behind the "spoiler[Bunny looking" creature Woody hugs in Toy Story 3] if you want to see one that you can talk about with friends and have a possibility that they might have seen it, then Spirited Away is the best bet. I know two people that aren't even anime fans that have seen it. Either way just get ready to fall in love. Very Happy
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
If they are showing Only Yesterday, I'd obviously make that a priority since it is not out on DVD in North America (although it is easily acquirable, I should note).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm embarrassed to say that the only anime movie that I've ever seen on the big screen is Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie. I'd totally love to see something else, but I'm unable to, since in recent memory, the only anime films to play anywhere NEAR me are The Secret World of Arietty and Pokemon White, and even those were both playing about an hour away, and I didn't have a way to see either during their theatrical runs.

The theatrical runs of FUNimation or Aniplex don't even play in my STATE (I'm in Virginia). They sometimes play in Washington DC, but I have no way of getting that far (it's about 4 hours away) just for a movie. Heck, the Madoka movies played in DC ("state" above me) and Raleigh, NC (state UNDER me). It's like Aniplex was avoiding my state on purpose.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
I go to UMass Amherst so this is right in town. Might see something.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If it's a good theater, I'd be remiss to not tell you "See all of them".

Compared to a lot of art-house theatres, the Slamherst theatre isn’t too shabby.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
Mononoke Hime is my favorite of the half-dozen Miyazaki films I've seen, but I've never watched it in a theater. I plan to drive out to Amherst for the Sunday screening, even though it's right in the middle of March Madness! It's apparently a new print and is being shown with subtitles, a rarity when it comes to Miyazaki films in the US.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing this. The festival starts early March this year so I'm waiting for the line-up screenings. Hope they have some good features picked.

Since Gkids is handling the release for the film I wonder who will handle the release for the artbook. I know that Earthsea didn't get one, and while I never thought about it until now I wonder if the reason why it didn't a release was because it was Goro's project. Since this is another Goro project with Miyazaki co-directing I wonder if the film is close enough to other works by Miyazaki to get a artbook release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1