• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Media Blasters Anime Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I was under the impression that Squid Girl was one of their somewhat more successful titles (well maybe not "successful," but at least did well enough).

It seemed like they were slowly getting back on track too. Come to think of it, I dont know why I thought that.

I would like to see them recover, but that hope seems to be diminishing more and more. Maybe they should start taking some notes from the more well to do companies in America, look into streaming anime, and get more titles that would get more buyers. Hell, if those arent the problem I cant say what it is they do wrong compared to others. Now I'd just get worried if something I really enjoyed got picked up by them. At this point, they need a miracle to save them
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Huh, I was under the impression that Squid Girl was one of their somewhat more successful titles (well maybe not "successful," but at least did well enough).

It seemed like they were slowly getting back on track too. Come to think of it, I don't know why I thought that.

I would like to see them recover, but that hope seems to be diminishing more and more. Maybe they should start taking some notes from the more well to do companies in America, look into streaming anime, and get more titles that would get more buyers. Hell, if those arent the problem I can't say what it is they do wrong compared to others. Now I'd just get worried if something I really enjoyed got picked up by them. At this point, they need a miracle to save them

Maybe if John Sirabella stopped acting like a tool and started actually running his company instead of shirking out on his taxes, mistreating his voice actors, and yelling at people on internet forums, then maybe there would be some hope for them.

But whatever. If they're not going to release the rest of Squid Girl, then to hell with them. I'm done. The only two MB shows that I still need to pick up are Midori Days and Genshiken, maybe Dokuro and Punie-chan if I can find them cheap enough. After that, they can DIAF for all I care.

To think... They used to be one of my favorite licensing companies at one point, too. It's sad to see just how far they've fallen. Crying or Very sad
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I need some help, fans of anime!

I know Kite is getting released on bluray, but wasn't there an announcement about the unrated/director's cut/that other version made as well?

I know it's not done by MB (Kitty, I think), but now it seems news of it has just vaporized into thin air.

I'd like to know if it's still coming out.

I'm not opposed to the stripped down version, but I'd rather have the "full" version, despite the controversy of its inclusion.

More bang for the buck.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
It really is sad what MB has been reduced to. They have not released a single new title in 2012 - anything they have released (and there hasn't been much of that) are old titles of theirs that have been repackaged, mostly into their so-called Classic Collection line. Mind you, that's a great way to get any of their titles for cheap that you don't already have. But come on, there's no way they can go on doing that forever. Eventually, all their old titles will be $14.99, uh, "Classics" and without any new stuff in the pipeline, where will they be? And yeah, I'm not counting the two OVAs they licensed but are now delaying release of until next year. Supposedly.

I honestly don't see how the company can climb out of this death spiral. It's a shame. They used to put out a lot of great stuff.

@ ME - Kitty is MB's "adult" line. They have scrapped their plans to release the edited Kite on BD, so I have to assume there is no chance of the director's cut getting released on BD, either.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing, but not surprising. I concur with the MB assessment. It's really difficult to support a company when they've nothing to buy.

I double-dipped for Squid Girl to get the bluray, and it looks as though this will be the last purchase I'll make from them.

Or the DVD version of the series I seek, which I'm going to check on now.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I know Kite is getting released on bluray, but wasn't there an announcement about the unrated/director's cut/that other version made as well?

I know it's not done by MB (Kitty, I think), but now it seems news of it has just vaporized into thin air.

There were two versions solicited. One under AnimeWorks label (edited version). This is the version that got removed from solicitation today (for the second time; it happened about 1 year ago). The other version is the uncut version under their 18+ Kitty Media label. This version was solicited, but canceled a while back.
Quote:
I'd like to know if it's still coming out.

The real answer is no one really knows. John Sirabella has mentioned that it's been worked on (didn't specify which version). Wait and see is all I can say right now.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just hit TRSI and the "uncut" and "director's cut" are still available on DVD. I selected the latter.

I'll wait, and if needed, double dip.

Thanks for the info, all.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
One more thing to add (why I said wait and see). Cancellation with MB sometimes doesn't mean it's permanent. Sometimes releases can get re-solicited further down the line. The problem is that there is no way to know (until they really say so like Bakuman). IMO it's just not a good and healthy business practice.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
One more thing to add (why I said wait and see). Cancellation with MB sometimes doesn't mean it's permanent. Sometimes releases can get re-solicited further down the line.

I didn't want to take a chance of waiting, and the DVD selling out, only to risk the news wasn't good.

This way, I win, damn it! Wink
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
What the f***? No Squid Girl Part 3 now? They would have got some money out of me for that one. Rolling Eyes
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
Since Squid Girl part 3 on DVD has been cancelled, I guess any thought that I might someday be able to get season 2 on Blu-Ray is really out the window.

It is really sad to see them in so much difficulty. What makes it worse, with this kind of stuff happening, people are going to be more reluctant to pre-order anything they do solicit; they'll probably wait to see if it actually gets released first.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Amazon.com pricematching BestBuy.com.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
For the curious, here is someone's packaging video of the Fushigi Yugi Season 2 Set (and also Season 1): LINK.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
via TRSI...

WTK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
via RACS
Quote:
I was talking to our rep at the distributor Media Blasters uses to ship all their non-Adult products this week, and after asking several times about the status of both of the Queens Blade BLURAY sets I was finally told that:

AWBD-1051Queen's Blade Complete Collection Boxed Set (12 Eps) (BLURAY) is finally restocking and shipping to us again this week.

AWBD-1113 Queen's Blade 2: The Evil Eye Series, Complete Collection (12 Eps) (BLURAY) has been "deleted" from the catalog and that Media Blasters will not be replicating it again.

So there it is folks, I take that to mean that Queens Blade 2 will no longer be available on BD, at least not from Media Blasters. We have removed it from the store site and we're going to go ahead and cancel any accumulated backorders for it. If the situation with it changes in the future, I'll let you know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 18