• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karisu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Truly a game where people's opinions will drastically differ.
williamflipper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Dave. I'm going to buy some sandwich instead. Falafel wrap maybe. with a tons of houmous. A lot, really a lot of houmous. Fart party indeed.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Justification For people really mess up in the head <-------------
Kurohei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
A game that got a F because it's too violent? Sound like the game for me.
The Joel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Reading comprehension is a plus when commenting on articles.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Clearly, Dave doesn't enjoy watching people suffer.

I love Corpse Party. I enjoy seeing different scenarios & the other characters you get to see more that weren't in the previous one as much. But yeah, I guess opinions can vary over this game.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:

Wow, you managed to completely misinterpret the article.

The main problem as noted by the reviewer is that the violence is needlessly gratuitous. It's devoid of meaning or anything deeper than "watch these people suffer!"

Also it's uncomfortably misogynistic.
PostMesmeric

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I understand that reception to Corpse Party: Book of Shadows will differ (heck, it already has), and reviews are clearly subjective based on the reviewer's preferences, but an F? That implies that the game is an absolutely unplayable mess. I guess with such subject matter it can prevent someone from playing it, but...well...I dunno.

The review really resonated, though, kind of like it took a picture of a perverse, violence-loving society that makes you feel like a bad person for liking media like this. Mixed opinions, for sure.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is the perception of this game either wildly negative or wildly positive? Middleground doesn't exist.

Glad I'm on the positive side atleast. It is entertaining to just see what crazy stuff happens next.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
POP QUIZ HOT SHOT There going be people like type of game, And there people going dislike this kind of game.
Blem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:

well, it's a visual novel, so it's not so much a game as it is a story where you push X a lot
and if this article is any indication, the story is basically a 14 year old sociopath's unfinished ranma 1/2 fanfiction

but if you ever thought saw wasn't kawaii enough this might be the game for you
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Blem wrote:

well, it's a visual novel, so it's not so much a game as it is a story where you push X a lot

Actually there's a bit of control, having to move from room to room using a block selection on a map (depending on which chapter you're in/how far you are in certain chapters. At least one chapter doesn't involve the map at all), looking for items and using them in the appropriate places later on.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The main problem as noted by the reviewer is that the violence is needlessly gratuitous. It's devoid of meaning or anything deeper than "watch these people suffer!"

And yet people praise Gen Urobuchi Laughing

But yeah, it's kinda the point of the game. The cursed school doesn't care about its victims. It kills them without remorse and if they can't make a miracle happen and escape, they will die no matter what.

But there is plenty of characterization going on. You want to care about the characters, you want to see them survive, and despite everything you cling to the tiniest of hopes that maybe they'll come out all right. It's a case where the journey is more important than the destination.

As for the review itself, I think it ranted too much about just that one particular area with little mention to the actual game play, or the large number of extras and replay value, and so forth.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Blem wrote:
but if you ever thought saw wasn't kawaii enough this might be the game for you

LOL!! Very Happy

I wasn't surprised Book of Shadows got low marks, but these weren't the reasons I expected.

I liked the first game and I found the cast likable (they are certainly archetypal but I suppose I'm used to it from most anime these days so...). To say that this game has no point other than murder is missing the point. Book of Shadows should have been marketed as a "side story" game, as only the last chapter (only visible after beating the first seven) is a proper sequel. There were definitely some uncomfortable sequences in here, but I still felt much of the game was to build on the characters who didn't get as much focus in the first game. Many of the chapters either follow a bad ending from the first game or cover an event prior to the story.

I dunno, I'm half and half on this game. I liked the expanded characterization, the transition to visual novel was interesting, and I thought there were some good scares - but it definitely lacked a lot of what made the first game interesting and unique and traded that off for some squicky scenes that we really could have done without.

At any rate, thank you for taking the time to review the game, Dave. Whether I agree or not, I'm glad you gave a niche game like this a shot.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm noticing a pissy VN fanboy or two around here.

I'm of the opinion that Dave should have been more considerate of the demographic this game is marketed towards, the VN fanbase, and all 7 of its members. Because it matters!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6