• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Some great stories are about heroes/heroines who struggle through adversity to do great things but are always commendable figures, while others are about figures who start out as lesser individuals, even villains, and grow to become better people over the courses of their stories. This tournament is about the latter.

NOTE: This tournament is now complete. Please see page 67 for final results.

Voting Standards
The focus of this tournament is on characters that improve themselves over the course of their source title/franchise. This should entail one or more of the following cases:

*The character starts out as unlikable but through character development and proving him/her/itself gradually becomes likable.
*The character starts out as weak and/or flawed but gradually overcomes initial deficiencies to become stronger and/or more respectable.
*The character starts out as a villain but genuinely "sees the light" and eventually becomes a good guy.
*The character starts with basic powers/skills and gradually develops them to an impressive degree.
*The character initially has an ill-defined personality but this is remedied as the title/franchise progresses.

Please note that progressive, credible improvement is the key guideline here.

NOTE: Since this tournament is being run on an English-language site based in North America, official English spellings, title translations, and naming conventions will be observed in any case where it matters.

Tournament Rules/Standards:
1. This is a 96 entry single elimination tournament consisting of head-to-head matches. The top 32 scorers in the Nominations phase get byes for the first round; otherwise this uses a standard advancement bracket.
2. Advancement is determined by receiving a plurality of votes in a given match-up. In the event of a tie, all tying participants advance.
3. The field is divided into four lettered Groups, each representing one of the four major branches of the bracket.
4. Each voting phase will last exactly one week, beginning and ending at midnight Tuesday EST (i.e. GMT-5). No votes posted after the cut-off time will be accepted, even if an official end to the round has yet to be announced.
5. Any registered forum member who isn’t banned is allowed to vote, regardless of whether or not that forum member has participated in any previous round or group. However, you must vote for all match-ups in a particular week for your votes to be counted.
6. In the first round, at least one of your votes must be justified with some kind of supporting argument; in the second round, two are required. (You are encouraged to do more than that, however, as convincing arguments have proven to be a major factor in past tournaments.) Beginning with the third round, all votes must be so justified.
7. Key is the final arbiter of the tournament and Dorcas_Aurelia is the final arbiter of the accompanying minigame. (If you don’t already know what it is then it’s too late to get involved now.)

References
Since voters are not expected to know everyone going in, a Guide which briefly describes each character is being provided. These entries are linked to the names of the participants and will contain a picture and other assorted details. Use these as necessary to familiarize yourself with characters before voting.

Round Links
Round 1
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 2
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 3
Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Round 4 (Group Semifinals)
Groups A&B
Groups C&D

Round 5 (Group Finals)
All Groups

Round 6
Semifinals

Round 7
Finals

Last edited by Key on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:45 am; edited 19 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group A is now closed.

Final results can be found here.

Time to get this party started! Here's our first batch.

Group A-1
Aido Hanabusa, Vampire Knight
vs.
Ayaka Steiger, Kurau Pahntom Memory

Group A-2
Bart Garsus, Vandread
vs.
Chi, Chobits

Group A-3
Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!
vs.
Eureka, Eureka 7

Group A-4
Gaara, Naruto franchise
vs.
Gauche, Gauche the Cellist

Group A-5
Haruka Suzumiya, Rumbling Hearts
vs.
Haruko Kamio, Air

Group A-6
Inuyasha, Inuyasha franchise
vs.
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho

Group A-7
Jean Valjean, Les Miserables Shoujo Cosette
vs.
Haruyuki Arita, Accel World

Group A-8
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Erio Touwa, Ground Control to Psychoelectic Girl

Last edited by Key on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
This bracket has a fair number of characters from anime I've yet to see or never completed. So I guess I'll see how things go:

Match A-1: Ayaka Steiger (Kurau, Phantom Memory)

Match A-2: Chi (Chobits)
While Bart's developments make him less prejudiced towards the women and less of a coward, I think Chi's developments are more significant considering she develops from an absent-minded character who can barely communicate with others to a kind-hearted character who becomes curious over the joys and pains of love, especially as she tries comprehending the complications of love between man and robot.

Match A-3: Eureka (Eureka 7)

Match A-4: Gaara (Naruto franchise)

Match A-5: Haruko Kamio (Air)
Hmm, I don't picture either of these characters lasting for too long in later rounds considering their developments only occur through the span of a few episodes in their respective titles. But in terms of the more significant improvement, I'd have to go with Haruko considering she steps up from being a carefree, irresponsible woman to seriously care for neglected niece, Misuzu.

Match A-6: Hiei (Yuyu Hakusho)
While Inuyasha does soften as his show progresses, I do have to admit (with me having nominated him) that his personality is still rough around the edges as he still puts on the facade of an arrogant jerk in many situations throughout the series, indicating signs of immaturity with the half-demon. While I haven't plowed through all of Yuyu Hakusho as I only seen as far as the Dark Tournament arc, I did see Hiei's character improved quite a bit in his Heel-Face Turn as he became fiercely protective of his new allies and his softer side is clearly shown when he spoiler[reunites with his sister, Yukina,] later in the series. With that said, I'll be voting for Hiei in this match.

Match A-7: Haruyuki Arita (Accel World)

Match A-8: Clare (Claymore)

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
I'm assuming we can change our votes so long as it's before the cut off time?

So, my votes:

[EDIT: For future reference, these have to be numbered. - Key]

Group A-1
Aido - I've actually seen his show. While his improvement in the anime pales in comparison to the manga, in the anime he does go from a jerk to some one more reliable.

Group A-2
Bart - I've actually seen his show too. He was kind of a joke at the beginning, but his encounter with that little girl really pushed him in the right direction. The scene where he shaves his head to mimic the girl's unfinished doll was great.

Group A-3
Eureka - Her improvement over the course of the show was a lot better than Naoi's, whose development was far more sudden. Meeting Renton and falling in love made Eureka a lot more human at the end.

Group A-4
Gaara - I don't even need to do a write up for him. Just watch this.

Group A-5
Haruka - I've actually seen her show. She starts off as a super shy girl but with some pushing from her friends she hooks up with the guy she likes and everything is fine... until tragedy strikes. While she is kept in the dark for most of the series, when she learns the truth she inevitably finds the strength to accept the way things are now and is able to let go and move on with her life.

Group A-6
Inuyasha - Another case of "I've actually seen his show"... Well, most of it anyways. He goes from a jerk to more of a good natured jerk, but honestly it's pretty weak. If some one can convince me that Hiei is better I might change my vote.

Group A-7
Jean Valjean - I did the write up for the nomination already. I'll add a spoiler, though. Valjean improvement even inspires spoiler[Javert (who gets to live in the anime)] to change his ways.

Group A-8
Clare - While Erio did improve, she only really did so in one area. Clare, on the other hand, not only became a stronger and more skilled fighter, she learned to care for others again and get back in touch with her humanity.

Last edited by Vaisaga on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
Awesome!!!! I love these tournaments!!!

Group A-1
vs.
Ayaka Steiger

Group A-2
Bart Garsus, Vandread
vs.
Chi, Chobits
Bart Garsus

Group A-3
Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!
vs.
Eureka, Eureka 7
Eureka's development is much steadier and more convincing than Naoi. He does improve a lot, but he has a sudden epiphany and from there he improves only slighlty. Eureka starts out emotionless and slowly learns how to deal with feelings of affection, jealousy, and love.

Group A-4
Gaara, Naruto franchise
vs.
My vote was solidly for Gaara, but watching that video you posted Vaisaga has impressed me all over again with his development. He goes from a psychopath who is seriously messed in the head to someone who is genuinely caring and protects people at all costs. From someone off-putting and extremely scary to a charismatic leader you can trust your life in.

Group A-5
vs.
Haruko Kamio, Air
Haruko (from Air) accomplishes an impressive feat. It is difficult to open your heart when you have spent the last many years building a wall around it.

Group A-6
vs.
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho
They both start out as enemies, but Hiei's development continues throughout most of his series, while Inuyasha slowly softens in the first season and doesn't change much from there.

Group A-7
vs.
Jean Valjean

Group A-8
Clare, Claymore
vs.
Erio Touwa, Ground Control to Psychoelectic Girl[/quote]
Clare
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for:

Group A-2
Voting for:
Chi, Chobits

Group A-3
Voting for:
Eureka, Eureka 7
Reason: I recall finding Naoi's development jarring and perhaps convenient. Whereas Eureka's changes over the course of the series seemed more natural and in contrast it was a struggle for her.

Group A-4
Voting for:
Gaara, Naruto franchise

Group A-5
Voting for:
Haruko Kamio, Air

Group A-6
Voting for:

Group A-7
Voting for:

Group A-8
Voting for:
Clare, Claymore
Reasons: Erio has to be one of the cutest anime girls I've ever seen and she does start to come out of her shell (futon). But its very slow and I never felt she was finished with the process or at least to the point where I was satisfied. Clare on the other hand grows in two different ways. Physically, her power level goes up on at least 3 different occasions. Emotionally she begins cold and distant from both the people she protects and her fellow warriors. She is also reckless willing to throw her life and humanity away. This changes with the people she meets. She learns to care and feel responsibility for a boy she encounters on a mission and begins to develop bonds with some of her fellow warriors. In the end it is her bonds with others that help her maintain her humanity.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
Group A-1: Voting for Aido Hanabusa.

Group A-2: Voting for Chi. She goes from not understanding anything about the world, to very nearly understanding several forms of love. That's a pretty big improvement in my book.

Group A-3: Voting for Eureka. Naoi seems to still be the same person underneath, whereas Eureka seems to genuinely have changed.

Group A-4: Voting for Gaara. Let this be an example to you of how a well written description can persuade someone. I hate Naruto, so my first instinct was to vote against any character from the series, but whomever provided the description for this character did so in such a manner that they convinced me he was worthy of my boat, despite my overall distate for the series.

Group A-5: This one was tough, but I think I'll give it to Haruka Suzumiya (which I did initially read as Haruhi Suzumiya) because I think it takes more strength to break up with someone you liked than start taking care of a kid you always loved, but were perhaps not showing it in a conventional way.

Group A-6: Voting for Inuyasha.

Group A-7: Voting for Jean Valjean.

Group A-8: Voting for Clare.

Edited to bold character names and add a description to one vote.

Last edited by st_owly on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
I’ll provide reasons for those pairings where I’ve seen neither title. I’ll base my vote on the linked write-ups. I’m very much open to persuasion on those particular match-ups.

Group A-1
vs.

Group A-2
Bart Garsus, Vandread
vs.
Chi, Chobits

Chi, Chobits

Group A-3
Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!
vs.
Eureka, Eureka 7

Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!

Group A-4
Gaara, Naruto franchise
vs.

Group A-5
vs.
Haruko Kamio, Air

Haruka Suzumiya, Rumbling Hearts: The write-up suggests that Haruka changes on multiple levels – her re-assessment of her relationship with Takayuki, her goal of a new life, and her pursuit of her dream. That seems more complex, and therefore more interesting, than Haruko’s change.

Group A-6
vs.
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho

Inuyasha, Inuyasha franchise: A tough one – they seem like such similar characters. I’m going for Inuyasha because the write-up suggests his improvement is brought about by the female lead rather than through, as the Hiei write-up implies, the development of martial skills.

Group A-7
vs.

Jean Valjean, Les Miserables Shoujo Cosette: The story of a redeemed adult will always fascinate me more than that of a shy boy who gains confidence. (I’ve never read or seen Les Miserables in any version whatsoever.)

Group A-8
Clare, Claymore
vs.

Clare
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
YAY! Very excited to get things started.

Group A-1
Voting for: Ayaka Steiger, Kurau Pahntom Memory

While I supported Aido's nomination, he was always a fairly marginal choice for me and I don't think he deserves to go any further.

Group A-2
Voting for: Chi, Chobits

She almost got seeded for a reason and, while I have some major issues with the Chobits anime, her development is still pretty awesome.

Group A-3
Voting for: Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!

Group A-4
Voting for: Gaara, Naruto franchise

Group A-5
Voting for: Haruka Suzumiya, Rumbling Hearts

Group A-6
Voting for: Inuyasha, Inuyasha franchise

Not a justification since I haven't seen either series but I am amused that the two big shounen series come up against each other in the first round. Coincidence or Key being clever, I wonder?

Group A-7
Voting for: Jean Valjean, Les Miserables Shoujo Cosette

Also not a justification but I really need to go see Les Mis.

Group A-8
Voting for: Clare, Claymore

Wow, of this whole group I was familiar with ... 3 characters, one of which I voted against. Very interesting, I'll definitely have to keep a close eye on other's justifications to help plan votes for the next round.

Vaisaga wrote:
I'm assuming we can change our votes so long as it's before the cut off time?

Yes, you just need to make sure you make a new post letting Key know your vote has changed, to make sure he doesn't miss it.

Also, st_owly, while it doesn't seem to be in the rules (though I thought it had been other years), I think it makes Key's job easier if you bold the name of the character you are voting for. And making Key's job easier is a goal we should all strive for, in the tournament and in life Smile
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Ayaka Steiger

Group A-2
Bart Garsus, Vandread
vs.
Chi, Chobits

Bart Garsus

Group A-3
Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!
vs.
Eureka, Eureka 7

Ayato Naoi

Group A-4
Gaara, Naruto franchise
vs.

Voting for Gauche.

To tell the truth I don't remember Gaara very well. Only that he is yet another character from Naruto with sad childhood so that the main character can say "he is just like me." On the other hand, I remember Gauche very well. He is a quite sympathetic character that makes satisfactory progress with the help of animals. It may not be a dramatic change, but it is a pretty nice one and since I remember Gauche better than I expected, which is a good sign, I am voting for him.

Group A-5
vs.
Haruko Kamio, Air

Haruka Suzumiya

Group A-6
vs.
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho

Voting for: Hiei

Here I'm voting against Inuyasha, who is a stale character. He doesn't really develop a lot. He remains the same throughout the majority of the series, because if he did develop, he would have to make a tough personal decision whether he prefers Kagome or Kikyo, which he postpones for around two hundred episodes. And he never makes the decision. One of the girls just happens to die and that's it. Fate conveniently solves the problem for Inuyasha.

Group A-7
vs.

Jean Valjean

Group A-8
Clare, Claymore
vs.

Clare
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Seen both, and Ayaka was far more memorable for her development. (Aido never made much of an impression.)

Group A-2
Bart Garsus, Vandread
vs.
Chi, Chobits

I am ambivalent on this one, as Bart actually does come a long way in his series and Chi seems more like a case of actually developing a personality rather than improving. Heck, I'll go with Bart Garsus here, even though I don't think he wins.

Group A-3
Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!
vs.
Eureka, Eureka 7

Neither of these two wows me on development fronts. Eureka gets the edge here primarily because she has more time and room to go farther.

Group A-4
Gaara, Naruto franchise
vs.

Gaara is a strong choice here. His reform in the wake of his duel with Naruto was pretty radical, as he turns from essentially being a villain into a figure respectable enough to lead his village and live up to protecting it.

Group A-5
vs.
Haruko Kamio, Air

A toss-up here. I'll go with Haruko because her attitude change was slightly more compelling.

Group A-6
vs.
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho

Siding with Aylinn here and making an anti-Inuyasha vote by favoring Hiei, and for pretty much the same reason.

Group A-7
vs.

Les Miz is one of my favorite franchises, but what little I say of Accel World convinced me that Haruyuki was on at least as strong a development path. I won't be disappointed if this one goes the other way, though.

Group A-8
Clare, Claymore
vs.

The easiest pick here. Clare is possibly the strongest contestant playing in this entire round. She was on the line for having a bye, and I honestly think she's stronger that several of those who got byes. Her development and advancement is among the most satisfying of all contestants.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1

I’ll admit I haven’t gotten around to watching Kurau Phantom Memory yet, so I have to go with the character I know. I had to look up how much of the manga is adapted in the anime, and it turns out it follows the story right up to about the point where I dropped the manga. As such, I do believe Aido’s improvement is fairly significant. Yes, he becomes less self-centered and more reliable, but I think the more important thing is that he is first introduced when he is attacking Yuuki, and over time he becomes one of the last people Yuuki can truly rely on.

Group A-2
Chi, Chobits

Group A-3
Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!

Group A-4
Gaara, Naruto franchise

Though I’m not a big Naruto fan, Gaara is the clear choice here. His development from a dangerous and psychopathic loner to the strong and reliable leader of his village makes him a very strong contender, IMO.

Group A-5

Haven’t seen either series, but the description for Haruka made it seem like she improved in a more interesting way.

Group A-6
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho

More a vote against Inuyasha than anything else. Inuyasha never really seemed to change that much to me, and it was incredibly annoying how he kept running back to Kikyo and refused to learn his lesson.

Group A-7

Group A-8
Clare, Claymore

Another case where I’m unfamiliar with both contestants. Clare seemed the more interesting choice here.
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Group A-2
Bart Garsus, Vandread
vs.
Chi, Chobits

I have Chi on my bracket, and won't be surprised if she wins here. However, while she definitely shows improvement changing from something that's barely function and incapable of acting to more human-like, the change didn't seem credible or realistic even considering the sci-fi circumstances. Her end result also isn't incredible enough to warrant being considered a strong pick like some are suggesting.

Key is right going from barely being character with no personality to being one isn't all that much of an improvement,

Bart is the more traditional shell of man, who changes in many ways once introduced to a certain goal. The main edge here is his improvement is more realistic, credible and has a much stronger end state.

Group A-3
Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!
vs.
Eureka, Eureka 7

Eureka, Eureka 7

Group A-4
Gaara, Naruto franchise
vs.

Gaara, Naruto franchise

Not a huge fan of the franchise, but this name came to mind when I though of characters who improved. Some points may be docked for credibility, but overall a good pick.

Group A-5
vs.
Haruko Kamio, Air

Haruka Suzumiya, Rumbling Hearts: Haruka's change happened on many more level than the more one dimensional change is Haruko. Haruka's change is also more interesting, and complex especially give her situation.

Group A-6
vs.
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho

Inuyasha, Inuyasha franchise: Neither is horribly strong, but Inuyasha showed a more rounded change that was very distinct that influenced his actions and motivations in many ways.

Group A-7
vs.

The guide fails to point out that one of the main improvements besides growing more of a spine was finding a purpose or cause he can fight behind that has meaning. Some may question this cause since it is a virtual one, but going from aimless to dedicated and focused does make for quite the improvement beyond growing his confidence.

Group A-8
Clare, Claymore
vs.

Clare
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Didn't notice Key's edit to my post until now.

I was wondering if there had to be any specific format but the guidelines didn't mention anything. That votes need to be numbered should really be mentioned there.

Is my post fine now?

I'm actually pretty surprised Haruka is leading in votes right now. I had figured that Key (the company, not the mod) fanboyism was near absolute Laughing

I still want to do some extra campaigning for Haruka, though. I'm sure more people are familiar with the Rumbling Hearts TV series, but there's also the Next Season OVAs. While Haruka was kind of forced to make certain decisions in the TV series spoiler[since she had already lost Takayuki to Mitsuki,] in the OVA spoiler[Takayuki chooses Haruka instead. But rather than just go back to the way things were or to let Takayuki spoil her, Haruka is the one to decide to put her relationship with him aside. Both of them have things they need to do first and being together will have to wait. Teenage Haruka probably would have been too scared to do this, what with almost having lost him to Mitsuki, but now Haruka looks at the bigger picture.]

And really, how can you say no to this? Wink

Also, while I haven't seen Air, from the write up it's clear that Haruko's problems were self inflicted. I'm less invested in some one pulling themselves out of a hole they dug themselves because in the end they wouldn't have had to deal with that problem if they hadn't created it. It's much more involving when the hole is dug by things outside of anyone's control and a character must overcome that.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Group A-2
Bart Garsus, Vandread
vs.
Chi, Chobits

Bart Garsus, Vandread

Group A-3
Ayato Naoi, Angel Beats!
vs.
Eureka, Eureka 7

Eureka, Eureka 7

Group A-4
Gaara, Naruto franchise
vs.

Gaara, Naruto franchise

Gaara grows from a psychopathic person into a caring person who serves his country and is willing to sacrifice his life for it.

Group A-5
vs.
Haruko Kamio, Air

This is a tough decision. From what I remember, both characters are similar in their growth. It's been a while since I last watched both but from what I remember, Haruka's dream of writing a children's tale had no significance on her overall development or the plot. She did suffer from the realization that she lost 3 years of her life and manages to cope with it despite some bitter moments from the sudden truth. Haruko, who has ran away from her problems in fear of being hurt, overcomes her problems through her love for Misuzu. Haruko tries to distant herself from Misuzu but breaks the barrier she built because of her love for Misuzu as a mother. Ugh, I hate to resort to a coin toss but this is a difficult choice. Coin toss ended up with Haruka Suzumiya, Rumbling Hearts.

Group A-6
vs.
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho

Group A-7
vs.

This is another difficult choice; I have not actually seen the Les Miserables anime but it sounds really faithful. I can't say much about him besides what the guide already stated. I don't really care for Jean's character, too. . . I do feel more compassionate about Haruyuki's growth a character. He changes from a self-loathing person into a person who begins to find his self worth. Haruyuki is a character who falls down to his lows but in the end manages to overcome the difficulties by spreading his wings and soars off into the distant sky. I'm going to vote for Haruyuki Arita, Accel World.

Group A-8
Clare, Claymore
vs.

I've only seen Erio's show here and Clare's development sounds all too familiar to me; I'm basing my vote off other's comments and it seems like Clare has a better growth than Erio. Erio certainly did improve as a character throughout the show but others are suggesting that Clare improves more, so I'm voting for Clare, Claymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 76