• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's New Kotonoha no Niwa Film Gets Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Midori Motohashi to adapt 5 cm per second director's latest about classical unrequited love in modern day.
Fixed. So this will take about 100 pages of a volume and leave the reader wondering, "what's the point of living anyway" at the end. Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, he's on a roll now. Looking forward to seeing this latest film. I need to sit and watch 'Children who Chase Lost Voices'... again, but man I can't tell if folks consider it a homage or a rip-off. It's still a gorgeous film anyway, IMHO. However I will admit based on a lot of the visuals, if I had to put it on a shelf it would go along side all the other films that feature "such a theme as "a girl with a blue stone that connects to some long forgotten world". Gainax's 'Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water', Ghibli/Miyazaki's 'Laputa: Castle in the Sky', Disney's 'Atlantis' and now Shinkai's 'Children Who Chase...".

Hopefully this feature will be more a reflection of him and not anything else.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schoolie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Aren't all of Shinkai's films ALREADY about love = lonely sadness?

Don't get me wrong, Shinkai has a lot of talent at using visuals and scenery to induce emotional reactions (mainly melancholy).

I loved Voices of a Distant Star for what it was - a short story taking a neat sci-fi idea of space travel and framing it around lovestruck teenagers.

Children who Chase Lost Voices was a welcome change from sci-fi aspects and had some amazing visuals. The movie had a lot of ideas - it almost would have worked better as a mini-series where each episode could focus on one aspect of the story or character.

I hope he tries to grow both in genre and plot.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Schoolie wrote:
Aren't all of Shinkai's films ALREADY about love = lonely sadness?

Yeah I do sort of wish he would tackle a new topic. All his films have been variations of the theme.

But I guess if that's the only thing he enjoys, more power to him. And his Children film makes me suspect that if he did do something else it wouldn't be anywhere near as good. A lot of aspects apart from the central plot were very weak in that film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1