• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Tutu DVD 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohtori_akio

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I think more comparisons should be drawn with Utena when you write your reviews. Both titles break fairytale and magical girl cliches and one who like Tutu would probably be drawn to Utena.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Except that Revolutionary Girl Utena could not rightfully be considered a magical girl series. (I could see why someone might say that, but it would be a BIG stretch.) And it's not so much a fairy tale as pure fantasy; there's a distinct stylistic difference between the two.

Granted, I could see how RGU was considered quite a different series for the time in which it was made; I know some people who rate it beyond even beyond Evangelion for its innovativeness. But I'm just not seeing the parallels here, and I'm actually in the process of watching RGU right now, too. (Up through ep 23; digital cable is a nice thing for anime fans. . .)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ohtori_akio

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I understand your retisence in calling Utena "Magical Girl" and i agree that it taps into Fantasy a lot as well. However, it IS a satire of magical girl shows by keeping some of the elements - transformation sequence, a duel in every second episode etc... As a result, I would say it shares this with Tutu. They both utilise elements/cliches of Magical Girl shows but turn them into something else. Utena has more purpose in doing this, I agree. Just a mention of Utena in your review could help a lot of fans relate with Tutu and picture what it has to offer a little better though.
scortia

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Utena and Princess Tutu are both groundbreaking series with bits of Mahou Shoujo aspects but both go somewhat beyond genre by the time you've finished the series.

But anywho... sadly all I can add on the review is..*GASP* The English voice for Femio is better than the Japanese one?! I need the fourth volume urgently now... given I can't imagine a better "OLE!" than the one exclamed by Femio's seiyuu. >P
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Femio's voice in English is done by Vic Mignogna in English, quite different from the Japanese VA who is very deep. Quite different from Vic's usual roles though (I wouldn't think Vic would have been able to capture the deepness of voice, but he ended up doing it very well) and was fun to listen to. Speaking of Femio, he (along with his servant Montand, voiced by John Swasey in English) narrates the Etude extra in this volume, which was pretty neat too.
gknight

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
i also think that Tutu and Utena can be compared.. ^^ (these are my two favorite animes!! ;-; ^^ )
astra

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ahaha. I remember complaining when the review for the first volume of Princess Tutu gave the music a B or something. Um, I don't care how much you prefer some pop idol singer over Tchaikovsky, you do NOT give that music a B, especially when you're grading it against anime music.

I don't really think that Princess Tutu is the "equal" of Bugs Bunny in terms of integrating classical music with cartoons. They both approach it very differently. Whereas Tutu is an homage to several ballets, Bugs Bunny takes joy in mocking that heritage (though the mockery shows love.) Ah, I don't know what I'm saying. *Overcome by love for both Tutu and Bugs*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1