• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here (archived)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Just got some invasive video ads... but not from Mafeedia. The bottom of the page says "Ads by Gorilla Nation."

Basically, it started with a lysol ad, then replayed a lysol ad, than did a throat drop ad, then I can't remember what. Currently it's doing one for dishwasher detergent. It plays one video ad after another.

The things that makes these ads horrible is that ALL the videos played the audio automatically, and they all were impossible to pause.

I was going to listen to the new ANNCast, but I got these also. Couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from at first because it was way down on the side of the page, too. There was a Mucinex one that I muted, but after it finished, it automatically loaded up a Lysol one. Then another one after that. Then another Mucinex one after that. Then I logged in to come here and mention it. The nature of these particular ads actively interfere with features like the ANNCast because you can't permanently pause or mute them.

Same problem here. Video/audio ads continually cycle through. Even if you are watching trailers or other ANN videos the ads will talk over actual content audio. Wouldn't be a problem if it was just one video/audio ad, but since they continually cycle them through and you have to disable the audio for each ad individually.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
While not super common, I'm still occasionally getting video ads that play the audio automatically and are impossible to pause. In the latest incident the site kept on playing an ad for Skyfall over and over again, and the ad couldn't even be muted.

"Ads by Gorilla Nation" at the bottom. Also, I don't know if this helps or not, but it seems these ads use some form of springboard for the videos. Right clicking on the Skyfall ad revealed "springboard video player v4.26.1
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'll speak to GNM tomorrow.

Quick question, are these playing in the rectangle (300x250), the leaderboard (728x90) or are the some sort of pop ?
richfam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The ones I encountered were on the "Hey, Answerman" page, in the rectangular space under the "Recent Articles" section and above the "Recent Press Releases" section... if I'm remembering correctly.

This would have been one or two days ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
richfam wrote:
The ones I encountered were on the "Hey, Answerman" page, in the rectangular space under the "Recent Articles" section and above the "Recent Press Releases" section... if I'm remembering correctly.

This would have been one or two days ago.

You're remembering correctly. I usually encounter them in reviews, but it's always in the same space, the 300x250 rectangle between Recent Articles and Recent Press Releases.
richfam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
Just ran into another instance of these incredibly annoying ads, so this time I documented it.

Rectangular ad played when I opened up another user's Anime List at 4:30 AM CST. It was a 30-second ad for "Skyfall" on an endless loop: I could not pause it, and could not even mute it. It played at least 20 times before I closed the page.

Right-clicking on the ad brought up the following (first two lines were grayed out/unclickable):

------
Springboard video player v4.26.1
age:7 coms:5 contr:10 sban:6 adv:21 anno: gan: hdw:5 pse: yt: comp:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Settings...
Global Settings...
About Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.235...
------

This text was displayed at the bottom of the page: Ads by Bushiroad & Gorilla Nation

I took two screenshots if you need them. The first one shows the ad playing on the page and identifies the ad's subject. The second one shows the right-click pop-up dialog (as documented above).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
richfam wrote:
Just ran into another instance of these incredibly annoying ads, so this time I documented it.

Thanks, this information was very helpful.

As a result I've disabled the ads until I can speak with the ad-network on Monday.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I got an auto playing noisy ad the other day before I logged in. It was for an air freshener(??) of all things, and it was incredibly irritating. It was the square ad in the middle of the news articles list. I didn't get the provider because I clicked login quickly to get on to the fast server and shut the damn thing up.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I thought these ads auto playing ads were gone, but I guess not. Latest X Button article, I got one. In the box 300X250 on the right side. Started playing an ad for Mucinex, then switched to one for Lysol, then glitched out and kept on trying to load a video unsuccessfully.

"Ads by Gorilla Nation" on the bottom of the page. Also, (I think) that right clicking the ad gave me the same info as what richfam documented in his post. Unfortunately, after failing to load a video enough times, the ad crashed flash entirely, and so I wasn't able to copy down the info and make sure it was the same.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Just had an auto-playing video ad on the front page for Airwick.
300x250 and Gorilla Nation as per above reports. Iframe SRC is kurisu.animenewsnetwork.com/images/s/88/10197.1874.en-UK.aframe?http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/sponsor/click.php/10197/1874/1353535829/304318/0/42289455
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Just had an auto-playing video ad on the front page for Airwick.
300x250 and Gorilla Nation as per above reports. Iframe SRC is kurisu.animenewsnetwork.com/images/s/88/10197.1874.en-UK.aframe?http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/sponsor/click.php/10197/1874/1353535829/304318/0/42289455

Sounds like the same one I had the other day (re above post)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
[expletive] (_*#&$)!!!

Time for an ultimatum to GN.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
I recently looked at an anime page in the anime encyclopedia, and across the bottom of the page an iLivid banner appeared with big buttons saying 'play now' and 'download' with no other explanation.

iLivid puts these misleading ads all over file download and streaming sites, hoping that people trying to download a file or play a video will instead accidentally download and install iLivid software. They are, in my opinion, fraudulent.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Went to watch the ANNcast and the Ni no Kuni ad auto-played with audio. I wouldn't actually have minded since it's Ni no Kuni...but then it looped over again. :\
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
Getting loads of audio & video autoplay ads on the main page for Reckitt Benckiser products like Dettol Bleach and Nurofen. On repeat as well some times switching to a new ad sometimes repeating the same one and switch the audio back on. This bad enough until you hear a certain sentence...

"HI I'M BARRY SCOTT!"

ARGH! Nooooo.

Just to explain, Cillit Bang ads (featuring the Brian Blessard like but sans the cheesy charm spokes-character Barry Scott) are to Brits what "Head On, Apply Directly To The Forehead" ads were to Americans... roughly. Admittedly there's been worse (I'm looking at you Crazy Frog) but they are considered really irritating.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 26