• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kodansha License Requests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Okay, okay, guys. Laughing We're officially off topic now. Please stay to the theme of this thread as much as possible.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
All right, can I give some feedback then? Good value omnibuses are awesome. I'd rather pay $20 for a nice two volume omnibus than $10 for a typical English manga release. If that's the best way to release a more niche series, you won't hear me complain! Anime smile
Francesca9109

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
1. "Say Hello to Black jack" or Nurse Aoi" . I'd love to see a new medical manga get published. I love Black Jack & monster.

2. Moteki

3. Adamas

3. Shima Shima by sayaka yamazaki

I'd also like to see more titles about grown up characters with jobs. I'm growing out of the fantasy/sci-fi stuff with teenage characters.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
All right, can I give some feedback then? Good value omnibuses are awesome. I'd rather pay $20 for a nice two volume omnibus than $10 for a typical English manga release. If that's the best way to release a more niche series, you won't hear me complain! Anime smile

I agree as long as the omnibuses don't get too big. I don't like the Kenshin omnibuses from Viz or Dark Horse's CCS ones. Those are too big and the spines break as soon as you open them. Plus they're just too unwieldy. Viz's Cross Game or Vertical's GTO: The Early Years are good omnibuses.

But I do like omnibuses in general as they tend to be more efficient. I would be interested in seeing Kodansha do some omnibus releases, especially as this seems good for longer series.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
Im quite fond of 2 volume omnibus editions myself and if it makes stuff easier to publish then better still.

The only multi volume book i have which im not too fond of was the 3 in 1 naruto release and that was only because the thing was printed on tracing paper.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
I am also quite a fan of 2 in 1 omnibuses myself. Yen Press have done a really nice job with their release of "The Betrayal Knows My Name" as there's lots of colour pages and all the bonus content is still included. I think 3 in 1 is starting to get a bit too much though. The spines start to bend then I think.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
My favourites are the X/1999 and NGE 3-in-1s, because the combine the best of all omnibus worlds. They're nice and big, but not so heavy they're unwieldly. The paper is white and thin, but not thin enough to look through. Plenty of colour pages too, but far from expensive. They're pretty much perfect.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Princess Jellyfish!!! That would be a dream come true!!! I can relate to the characters so well it's not even funny, because thats my friends and I in a nutshell! (Minus the fact that most of them are boys, and the fact that about half of them are dating another member of our group. But that aside, it would be seriously amazing to see that get an American release.
Minami-ke would be nice, (when I mean nice, I mean, yeah sure, its not the best but its not the worst, its just Ok, in my book but I know it could get backed up by the fan base in the states.

But what I seriously wanna see is GTO get republished in the states from the original company and NOT from Tokyo Pop, if its anything like the Tokyo Pop Hetalia Axis Powers then it probably didn't get the treatment like it deserved and got cheap paper that is stuck so close together in the center that you almost have to tear it apart to read the dialoge in the center. (We also know they're dumb enough to only put their manga in only one book store, and its the same book store that went out of business a while back.) So yeah, for the sake of The Great Teacher Onizuka, ya'll should re-release it, (also for the fans like me who didn't get into manga until after they stopped selling it.) Its only five books above your range, but it really wouldn't make a difference would it?

Overall, I know ya'll aren't interested in bringing back older mangas but I wanna see Gto, and if you still refuse, then I'll be happy with another favorite, Princess Jelly Fish. Very Happy

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
imderekyup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Instead of a new title, I'd just like to know if anymore of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei will be released. Volume 14 came out last April, and I cannot seem to find anything other info about whether it was dropped or not.
Ugly Pig

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'd be the happiest pig in the world if Toru Fujisawa's recent GT-R: Great Transporter Ryuji and Ino-Head Gargoyle were licensed. Both are new spin-offs of GTO, so you'd think they'd be the type of series that the western market would be interested in...
HanaBana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm mostly going to be parroting a lot of what other people already said but I may as well add another voice to the crowd.

For starters, Princess Jellyfish of course. Laughing

I saw a couple people mention Again!! already. I've been reading it online as fan releases have come out and it seems to be rather popular. It's a shounen series currently at 7 volumes.

I haven't seen anyone mention Shounen Note. It's also shounen, currently at 4 volumes, and by the maker of Nabari no Ou. The story isn't exactly main stream which is the ultimate problem. It's about a boy with a soprano voice singing in his school choir and having to deal with vocal change brought on by puberty. The art is gorgeous and I'd recommend checking it out for that alone.

I'd also like to see a release of Saint Onii-san and Cesare though I can tell why publishers here may not take to those series so I won't hold it against you. Wink

I have the Tokyopop release of Planetes in all of its yellowy beat-up glory, and I would double-dip in an instant for a solid 2 volume omnibus rerelease with all the color pages. Or just a plain rerelease even, I won't be picky when it comes to a favorite series of mine.

Also Nodame. I think that would be a perfect title if Kodansha ever wanted to experiment with print on demand. Del Rey originally listed the last volumes to come out as two 3-in-1 omnibus editions so maybe go for that? I know it won't happen but I have to say something at least. Crying or Very sad

Finally, The World God Only Knows, Oyasumi Punpun, and Homunculus. They're not Kodansha but throwin them out there just in case.

And kinda off topic, but does anyone know why The World God Only Knows hasn't been licensed yet? It's a popular shounen series with an established English speaking fanbase and it already had an anime release here. Is it just the gal-game aspect that throws publishers off or is there more to it?[/b]
OniTasku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
HanaBana wrote:
Finally, The World God Only Knows, Oyasumi Punpun, and Homunculus. They're not Kodansha but throwin them out there just in case.

And kinda off topic, but does anyone know why The World God Only Knows hasn't been licensed yet? It's a popular shounen series with an established English speaking fanbase and it already had an anime release here. Is it just the gal-game aspect that throws publishers off or is there more to it?

Well, those are Shueisha/Shogakukan properties which are ultimately up to VIZ (with very few exceptions) since they're owned by them.

TWGOK is a Weekly Shounen Sunday series from Shogakukan, and while VIZ does have the Shonen Sunday imprint, it doesn't really see much new blood (the last 3 series announced for the imprint were back in 2009). Suffice to say, it's been a while since they've added new series to the line.

I'm sure it doesn't help that the manga is pretty long-running (currently 20 volumes and still-ongoing). Anime tie-in or not, it's a lot of niche humor. Nevertheless, I'd love to see it licensed and have kind of been at odds how it wasn't licensed before and seeing its window of opportunity fade away.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Ugly Pig wrote:
I'd be the happiest pig in the world if Toru Fujisawa's recent GT-R: Great Transporter Ryuji and Ino-Head Gargoyle were licensed. Both are new spin-offs of GTO, so you'd think they'd be the type of series that the western market would be interested in...

Oh hell yes, Id have em for my onizuka collection
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

I like omnibuses too. The Battle Angel Alita omnibus series starts next month and is 3-in-1 plus two extra short stories per volume.
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/221939/battle-angel-alita-last-order-omnibus-1-by-yukito-kishiro

Vinland Saga is 2-in-1, hardcover and starts in September.
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/195301/vinland-saga-1-by-makoto-yukimura

Both are $19.99.
CommonHorse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Would love to see Historie, Cesare, Devilman and YKK.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9