• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Nominated for Oscars [2013-01-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Seriously why is no one here talking about rise of the guardians it was a great movie with stellar animation. it was actually able to capture a lot of the wonder and delight that it was going for, and jack forest was a great character.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Seriously why is no one here talking about rise of the guardians it was a great movie with stellar animation. it was actually able to capture a lot of the wonder and delight that it was going for, and jack forest was a great character.

I do want to see it, as I've enjoyed the last few non-sequel Dreamworks animated films (especially Megamind which I thought was an impressive and fairly successful attempt at equaling some of the better live action frat pack comedies I've seen).
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I do want to see it, as I've enjoyed the last few non-sequel Dreamworks animated films (especially Megamind which I thought was an impressive and fairly successful attempt at equaling some of the better live action frat pack comedies I've seen).

I saw that and disp. me on the same day and I thought megamind was MUCH better and yet Disp me gets the sequel and no one remembers megamind.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I saw that and disp. me on the same day and I thought megamind was MUCH better and yet Disp me gets the sequel and no one remembers megamind.

I agree with this, I thought Despicable Me was ok, but nowhere near as good as Megamind. I think a big part of it is merchandising opportunities - Despicable Me has the minions, whereas Megamind doesn't really have marketable mascot characters like that. I guess Despicable Me also has more of a cute factor with the three adorable little girls, and maybe it appeals more to mainstream sentimentality about children than a movie that looks at the roots of adult psychological issues in a more multifaceted way that doesn't posit having your own kids as the solution (and seriously, since when was it a good solution? All it does is pass on the unresolved issues to the child), but the minions really are the kind of thing that get sequels made because lots of children will want their very own to hug and squeeze.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I agree with this, I thought Despicable Me was ok, but nowhere near as good as Megamind. I think a big part of it is merchandising opportunities - Despicable Me has the minions, whereas Megamind doesn't really have marketable mascot characters like that. I guess Despicable Me also has more of a cute factor with the three adorable little girls, and maybe it appeals more to mainstream sentimentality about children than a movie that looks at the roots of adult psychological issues in a more multifaceted way that doesn't posit having your own kids as the solution (and seriously, since when was it a good solution? All it does is pass on the unresolved issues to the child), but the minions really are the kind of thing that get sequels made because lots of children will want their very own to hug and squeeze.

Those are my thoughts exactly.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
BTW, for those interested in seeing it, Disney just released on the official Youtube page for Paperman, the funny romantic Oscar-nominated animated short that's shown before Wreck-It Ralph.

From Disney:

• The short follows the story of a lonely young man in mid-century New York City, whose destiny takes an unexpected turn after a chance meeting with a beautiful woman on his morning commute. Convinced the girl of his dreams is gone forever, he gets a second chance when he spots her in a skyscraper window across the avenue from his office. With only his heart, imagination and a stack of papers to get her attention, his efforts are no match for what the fates have in store for him. Created by a small, innovative team working at Walt Disney Animation Studios, “Paperman” pushes the animation medium in an exciting new direction.

Believe it or not, it's actually 3D that's made to look like traditional 2D animation:

Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
That's what I want to see more instead of the usual 3D stuff. That seems really interesting and can have potential for deferent art styles or takes with this technology.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Believe it or not, it's actually 3D that's made to look like traditional 2D animation:

New technique, huh? Precure's been doing it for years. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYNnKnVyG04
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

New technique, huh? Precure's been doing it for years. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYNnKnVyG04

Old technique; it's how much Paperman's more refined. Of course, Disney budget. I could tell Precure had 3DCG character assistance (particularly at the camera angles it's hard to maintain consistent on-model with traditional), but people in the theater thought Paperman was mostly flat traditional (when we saw it, our group were all commenting that Disney Studio should get back to it since The Princess and the Frog). This amazed us that 3DCG and 2D could be composited so well, that people won't be complaining about the extensive use of 3DCG.
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote
I'm not aware of the limitations so forgive me for asking but....

Weren't the Madoka movies eligible for this award this year? I think they played enough theaters to make the cut despite Aniplex' limitations.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:20 am Reply with quote
If Poppy Hill wasn't nominated I seriously doubt Madoka would have any better of a chance.

enurtsol wrote:
Old technique; it's how much Paperman's more refined. Of course, Disney budget. I could tell Precure had 3DCG character assistance (particularly at the camera angles it's hard to maintain consistent on-model with traditional), but people in the theater thought Paperman was mostly flat traditional (when we saw it, our group were all commenting that Disney Studio should get back to it since The Princess and the Frog). This amazed us that 3DCG and 2D could be composited so well, that people won't be complaining about the extensive use of 3DCG.

I don't see it. That still looks obviously CG to me. Just cel-shaded. I don't see why they can't just make hand-drawn animation if they want to appeal to people who want it. Was Princess and the Frog/Winnie the Pooh that big of a bust?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
I'm not aware of the limitations so forgive me for asking but....

Weren't the Madoka movies eligible for this award this year? I think they played enough theaters to make the cut despite Aniplex' limitations.
They were eligible, but not submitted. That said, neither alone is strong enough for the award(they're too strongly tied together), so they'd have had to combine them into one film. Here's hoping the third movie get something, though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

I don't see it. That still looks obviously CG to me. Just cel-shaded. I don't see why they can't just make hand-drawn animation if they want to appeal to people who want it. Was Princess and the Frog/Winnie the Pooh that big of a bust?

Nah, Paperman characters look easily flat, even on the 200-ft theater screen. Save maybe for some details on the face, like eyes/nose/lips. The choice of black & white also helped mask the illusion too, kinda like how B&W photographs mask appearance (and why models often use B&W photos on their resume instead of color). If we weren't made aware beforehand, our group in the theater wouldn't believe that it was mostly composited on 3DCG. And if or when anime studios attain near that level, there would be a lot less complaints of 3DCG use among the 2D-loving fandom.

Anyways, continuing on, Winnie the Pooh doesn't count since Disney Animation doesn't really have aspirations for it beyond for what it is. Meanwhile, they did have aspirations for Princess and the Frog, and while it financially prospered relatively well, it kinda just passed by largely unnoticed in terms of cultural impact. Not what they expected; that's why Disney's 2D-traditional endeavors, of which WDA chief John Lasseter is a major proponent, remain on shaky ground.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5