• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - C+C Anime Factory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the mess that was [C] by one of my favorite directors, Nakamura Kenji, I was so glad to see him return to form this summer with Tsuritama. It's by far his most accessible work, though still nowhere near the level of his Apothecary stories, "Bakeneko" and Mononoke, for sheer artistic brilliance.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Quote:
In season two, any interesting questions that were raised about the Neurois were erased and forgotten

Which was my greatest disappointment with the show. The battles were still fun to watch, but the story lined devolved to a "meh". At least Funimation was able to license it and bring it over, so I am still glad for that.

I agree with JohnnySake. I enjoyed season one. A bit of fluff, but with a storyline. But I watched season two to see the storyline progress. Instead we were given less storyline and more fluff. Each episode was "let's highlight this girl and have her solve a problem." The interactions with the Neurois were generally just tacked on. I would have given this a "Perishable".
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
C is very much about economics. It portrays people who take loans to get assets and thus put their future at risk. And when they lose their assets or Mikuni starts printing money, their future vanishes. It's as blatant as it gets. I'm pretty weak at economics, but isn't Mikuni meant to represent Keynesianism? I'm sure it's a commentary on Japanese economy.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I have no wish to watch blood-c I saw episode 1 and dropped it, can someone please tell me what this big twist is though. (good to note I haven't seen or watched anything from the blood series.)
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as how Control only has 11 episodes, one or two less from a normal season, it really sounds like the studio lost their budget and had to give it a rush ending. Which is funny, considering the subject matter.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I have no wish to watch blood-c I saw episode 1 and dropped it, can someone please tell me what this big twist is though. (good to note I haven't seen or watched anything from the blood series.)

Here's a link to a good review.
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
From the very first episode, Blood-C feels extremely subversive and always felt like something was wrong. I rather enjoyed the giant middle finger to the audience in the very end of the series. It felt extremely refreshing to see that there was reason for most of the show feeling saccharine. I'm sure that most people would hate the series entirely, but for some reason its stuck with me. While the show doesn't necessarily end in the most comforting ways, I can certainly say that I'm looking forward to the feature film!
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Blood C. I have a feeling that this series was going for a Madoka-like shock twist (not saying it was copying Madoka, just employing a similar strategy) but it ended up just feeling mean spirited and vindictive. Not my sort of thing.

C was such a weird, interesting idea that I wanted to like it but I found myself getting bored fairly quickly. For all the unique financial district stuff the actual plot was very predictable.

Quote:
slaying human-eating creatures called Elder Bairns

Fun fact: "Bairn" is scots gaelic for child, which makes this phrase delightfully nonsensical.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote=Damnably, though, they don't dive into any of the issues they raised in season one about the Neurois, which is the very reason I was looking forward to season two. In the first season, towards the end, we were led to believe that there was something a lot more complex and possibly misunderstood about these giant alien creatures.[/quote]
So anyone who knows me knows I panned Strike Witches at first. I saw some clips and was turned off by the amount of camel toes and crotch shots on underaged girls. Show me some on college girls or older, or the very least 16+ high school students I can deal with it, and I'm all in. Beyond their age it just felt too....in your face. Like "here's some plot.....and more young ass in your face muahahahahaha." That being said after a few reviews here given the shows props for the combat scenes I gave it a chance. I left the show with mostly the same opinion as I had going in but slightly higher. The animation itself was nice and the battles were pretty cool. I was intrigued by the whole Neurois aspect and figured perhaps the show would have a further aspect that deepens it a bit more. Make up for the plethora of underaged crotch shots blasted in my face. Seeing this review and that season 2 actually has more of the T&A and doesn't even touch the Neurois issue......thinking I'll skip it for now. Too many other shows I'm interested in right now to spend my time on a show that won't answer or even attempt to delve into the best possible aspect of the show from a storyline perspective. If I want mindless T&A I can just watch Queen's Blade Rebellion.

As for Blood C........more disappointment. I LOVED Blood the Last vampire and enjoyed Blood +. I had wishes Saya was more badass and capable in + like in BTLV but it was still enjoyable. This sounds to be a giant slap to fans of the franchise period.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I kinda feel more intrigued to watch blood c now. I did enjoy c while it lasted but can't remember it properly so it didn't really stay with me. Never seen strike witches.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little shocked that Strike Witches 2 got a rental. If there is anything that would get a perishable, that should be it.

My problem with Strike Witches is its dishonesty. Take, for example, the broomstick episode, which was essentially twenty minutes of watching girls masturbate. Now, I don't have a problem with watching girls pleasure themselves, but according to the show, they aren't doing that, they're really training, as if anyone with two brain cells to rub together couldn't figure out what was going on. It's this false air of respectability that this franchise wraps around itself that really pisses me off. It's like watching drunken frat-boys trying to be clever. And they worst part about it is they get away with it too.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Bamboo's review isn't quite as delicious (or vitriolic) as the Blood-C review on Colony Drop, but it's enjoyable. It's a shame, though: I really, really like the character design in Blood C (it makes up for CLAMP's previous efforts in Code Geass). It's a shame that, y'know, they can't write.

This brings to mind how Funimation's tagline for Blood-C (advertised on this very site!) was "The Most Appropriately-Named Anime of 2012!". Have a hard time finding something positive to say about this series, did we?

I honestly cant agree more with this. I like CLAMPs art style, and I think they are really good at coming up with concepts but they always kill their shows through either poor writing or by throwing in some horrible ideas. I mean I can only say their one saving grace is that in the anime forms the studios seem to step in and alter enough to make you almost forget this is a CLAMP work.

Even their most down to earth work like Angelic layer ends up leaving a bad taste in the mouth when in the manga Chobits (a semi sequel) you find out that someone important from AL dies young, and does not even have he ending you were expecting based on the events of the previous work.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Regarding C:
Bamboo Dong wrote:
... the thing you're controlling is a supernatural manifestation of your future, and your HP is the amount of money you have in your alternate universe bank account.

It's a messy system, to say the least....

I'm kind of surprised no one has said what's really going on here. Basically the story writers have formulated a way for the characters to mortgage their future literally. Usually it's just an expression, but in this story, it's actually possible. Characters trade the future value of their lives for cash in the present and have to pay it back (eventually). That's a mortgage. If they cannot pay, losing their future means they're erased from existence.

So then the series makes money a video game, which is kind of lame, but that's what the target audience understands. Net present value, cost of capital, and cash efficiency would be way over their heads. The script never even says the word "mortgage," even though most in the audience have at least heard the word before. I think they missed an opportunity to leverage their story idea better.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh, the column title. So much nineties...

I watched a video of the choicest scenes from Blood-C. That was unpleasant. I'm not habitually squeamish, but I felt a certain revulsion at it. I doubt that remarriage to its context would help.

Strike Witches 2 sounds like I'd like it no more or less than Strike Witches.

I didn't like Strike Witches.

I hadn't ever thought about the fact that the men in Strike Witches don't leer at the witches, which I suppose should be laudable, although I almost want some of its sexualization to actually be directed within its story rather than crammed deep down the throat of the audience by the camera. Maybe it's just because they figured that the audience wouldn't want competition.

But what I really don't like about the series isn't that sometimes just feels like some weirdo playing with his fetish dolls by pretending that they're airplanes *VROOM VROOM*, but that there's just not much there, and I don't mean on the cast's lower halves. The story and characterization felt really dull and inane to me. They defeat aliens by destroying their shiny red cores. That's a video game plot and it doesn't do what good video games do by adding some meat to the story more substantial than than Charlotte Yeager's breasts. Making good on the suggestions of something more to the Neuroi would probably not yield the cleverest or most novel revelations, but it would help. The same insubstantial quality lays low the characters. It doesn't just feel like there's no challenge fort them, but that whatever they face is just a quick record skip in their relentless affectedly girly cheeriness.

C- Control sounds like a missed opportunity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the review of Strike Witches 2. Season 1 had a relatively interesting overarching plot to back up it's fan service, Season 2 didn't and therefore didn't interest me nearly as much.
Hopefully the movie is much better in that regard.
terminus24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
I agree with the review of Strike Witches 2. Season 1 had a relatively interesting overarching plot to back up it's fan service, Season 2 didn't and therefore didn't interest me nearly as much.
Hopefully the movie is much better in that regard.

Plotwise, IMO, the movie was much, much better. It was helped by the fact that it actually focused on a plot instead of fan service, and it managed to avoid any nudity at all. Personally, as a big Strike Witches fan, I'm very excited for both the American release of the movie and the third season- which I hope will be as good as the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6