• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Hunting - NO Recommendation threads allowed! [READ THE 1st POST]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
OsamuTezuka wrote:
What's rude is automatically assuming that anyone asking for some reccomendations is lazy, unintelligent, and demanding.

If they're ignoring this stickied thread and making posts that say "I like this and this and this, tell me what Anime to watch next", then they are rude and lazy. Lazy, because they can't be bothered searching for stuff themselves or reading this thread. And rude, because they expect others to do their work for them while refusing to use the help offered here.

So yeah, rude and lazy. If they genuinely had tried all the tools we've provided and still need help then I personally would be happy to provide them with recommendations. But how often does that happen? Hardly ever.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
May I trouble a moderator (perhaps Tony K.?) to post a link to this recommendation thread?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Done.

I put it under the Staff/Voice Actor recommendations link.
redsabre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
Don't know where else this would go, so I'm posting it here. I'm not looking for a genre per se, but rather individual titles, so I didn't post this in the Official Recommendation Threads.

I would like it if someone could recommend some anime with cocky or brash main characters. Like Gene from Outlaw Star, for instance, except even more cocky. I guess I'm kind of looking for the anime version of Han Solo, if you will. Big mouthed, rogueish, and cool. What anime has characters like that?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is the right place to ask this.

One of my friends made me a strange request. You know how there's anime that can be especially enjoyed by people knowledgeable in the anime's theme? Like how a historian can enjoy Hetalia or a biologist can enjoy Moyashimon.

My friend is already an anime fan, and she's an engineer. She asked me if there was that kind of anime for engineers. I can't think of one, but I was wondering if anyone here could give me any heads up about something like that, because right now I'm pretty clueless
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Could a moderator post a link to the Historical Anime Recommendation Thread? Thanks in advance.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Done.
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

One of my friends made me a strange request. You know how there's anime that can be especially enjoyed by people knowledgeable in the anime's theme? Like how a historian can enjoy Hetalia or a biologist can enjoy Moyashimon.

My friend is already an anime fan, and she's an engineer. She asked me if there was that kind of anime for engineers. I can't think of one, but I was wondering if anyone here could give me any heads up about something like that, because right now I'm pretty clueless

What kind of engineer? (If there are different kinds...I can think of electrical engineer off the top of my head so I'm unsure if there are more.)

About the only thing I can think of would be a show like Ghost in the Shell. Which there is a good chance they've already seen. Otherwise I'm drawing a blank for now. Maybe a mech show, Full Metal Panic had a couple of min. about the workings of the mech.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
^ She's a mechatronic/robotic engineer (something along those lines, I'm not particularly sure)
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
Hello, I was wondering if what I'm searching for would be too close to asking for recommendations or acceptable.

I enjoy sharing stuff I like with friends, and I have some troubles finding anime titles that work for people who are not anime fans per se. I mostly watch shows, and getting someone to sit through 26 episodes to reach a conclusion can be a challenge. There are always the Ghibli movies, of course. Now, some shows have nice standalone episodes that can serve as a good introduction to anime beyond what can be seen on everyday TV, but most of the time a movie might proof to be more practical.

So, what I am looking for would be a collection of movies and/or episodes that work well as an introduction to anime for showing to generally interested people who might be put off by the usual stuff shown on TV and who are just unaware how diverse and broad the spectrum really is. (Maybe there's a little missionary hidden within me for wanting to awaken my friend's interest like that.)

Since it might be off putting for newbies if they get confronted with too much weird stuff, maybe things should be somewhat compatible.

This thread has a link to a video by JesuOtaku dealing with this topic, basically I am looking for more things along the line of this.

Should or could I open a thread for dealing with this topic?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
^
I bought from JB Hi-Fi a Sony-produced bundle of five Anime movies; Steamboy, Memories, Metropolis, Paprika and Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door. One of the best purchases I've ever made with respect to both quality of product and value for money. Can't remember how much it cost me but it was pretty cheap; it was less than the cost of two individual movies.

Your best best is to look out for such deals online, or get a friend who is travelling overseas to pick up a similar bundle for you.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Ghost in the Shell and Planetes are the only ones I can think of, and even GitS is pretty sketch if you think you can enjoy it more if you're knowledgeable in engineering (don't think you can).

Also, haven't finished them, but Noein or Dennou Coil might be right up an engineer's alley.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote
I'm looking for any anime that deal with controversial things. Some examples I already know:

Welcome to the NHK deals with phenomenon called hikikomori (it refers to people who withdraw from social life, often seeking extreme degrees of isolation and confinement)
Koi Kaze deals with incest (I know there are a lot of incest shows, but this is probably the only mature one)
Hourou Musuko deals with transsexualism

Is there any anime that deals with, for example, prostitution?

Last edited by Ignatz on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
Uhhh....

The Tatami Galaxy is an anime on Hikki life. Genshiken is a comedy piece about Otaku culture, which a lot of people in society either see as gross and perverted or just plain don't understand. Texhnolyze has a variety of socially backward motifs ranging from pedophilia, homosexuality, prostitution, incest, slavery and in general excessive violence and human experimentation.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Gunslinger Girl is about a group of young girls who are brainwashed and trained as assassins for the Italian government. It treats the subject seriously, and although making them assassins is obviously very wrong, it is fascinating to hear what both the girls and their Handlers (adult overseer) have to say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 17