• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 28-February 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, Jojo really outdid the Stalker projection of only 13k sold... including DVD it did 19k.

Nice to see Girls und Panzer add another 3.4k too.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote
GREAT! Hopefully when the animators are finished with Hyperdimension Neptunia they'll get the chance to go back to Jojo.
Hybridbloodszak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote
Woo for Jojo! Unless David Production hates money, the future parts are almost guaranteed! Also maybe they'll finally get a freaking budget for the animation X D That's the charm though of the show right now, the direction with the limited budget forced the creators to be creative and that really shows through with the excellent use of colors

Really sad that Sakurasou and Tempest didn't do well commercially : / Two shows that actually take time to develop characters since they are double cour More studios need to do more double cour anime and this isn't going to help
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The more it does this the more I stop thinking it reaching SAO's levels is just my wishful thinking.

Let's see... SAO's been doing about 30-32K sales before dropping off the charts, so if GuP can keep this up for another two weeks it'll come out to a close race. Maybe twenty-eight ton death machines really do beat swords in this world.

Last edited by Polycell on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote

• Resident Evil: Damnation Blu-ray in 3D - 3,535

Is 3D catching on there?
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
Guess Jojo's sales show mainstream titles aren't dead yet. Warner Bros would have to be stupid not to make more of it(especially since they haven't even adapted the most well known and popular part of the series). Bring on Stardust Crusaders(hopefully with a better budget)!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Wow, Jojo really outdid the Stalker projection of only 13k sold... including DVD it did 19k.

I am stunned that JoJo's is doing this good. It's the least Otaku show ever.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
Looks like between DVD and BD, Magi sold pretty decently. Say hello to a $250 SRP set from AoA. I sure am glad Sentai got GuP before its skyrocketing success took place, unless BandaiVisual is allowed to just change contracts at will.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
happy to see Horizon is still going strong
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
YES! NOT EVEN OTAKUS CAN DEFEAT THE JOESTAR FAMILY!!!!!

I wanted to say that, seeing this I hope this will buff up their budget to overdrive.
jree78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love Girls und Panzer and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see True Tears there, as I've just started watching it recently and just got halfway through it last night. I assume that's pretty good for a re-release of a series that's several years old at this point. It's a shame all it has here in the US is a pitiful barebones DVD release with a disappointing sub translation (let's just replace all surnames and nicknames with the given name because there's no difference, right?) I kind of wish BVUSA had been around just a little while longer, as the series they had up next (Shigofumi and sola, too) were deserving of a premium release in my opinion.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure this second True Tears BD box set sold more than the first (which was around ~2.5-3k if I remember correctly. Just shows how much P.A. Works has grown in fanbase since the start of their studio.

Also happy to see GuP add another few thousand. With one or two Amazon restocks left, it has a chance at 30k perhaps, but even now it should be pretty much guaranteed a second season so long as the creative staff behind it wants to do such.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Also happy to see GuP add another few thousand. With one or two Amazon restocks left, it has a chance at 30k perhaps, but even now it should be pretty much guaranteed a second season so long as the creative staff behind it wants to do such.

Before we get to that point, I really want to see volume 2 shoot up to 25k instantly. What I love most in this series is that the tank CGI visibly improves from early to later episodes, and the character animation was always decent. I hope it launches another season.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Yay for GuP! I'm very happy to see the numbers keep climbing. I wonder if enough copies of v2 were/will be produced for release in just over two weeks. ^^

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Say hello to a $250 SRP set from AoA.

And what previous release are you basing this statement on? Looking at TRSI's listings of Aniplex titles, I don't see any US releases MSRP'd above $190.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2