• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 28-February 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I am stunned that JoJo's is doing this good. It's the least Otaku show ever.

You're kidding, right?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty good start for the Code Geass spin-off OVA/film series. I hope it's enough to convince Sunrise that taking a small-to-moderate risk can be worthwhile and profitable, since they didn't need to exclusively rely on the same old cast of characters in order to successfully expand the property.

TitanXL wrote:

You're kidding, right?

I also found that phrase a bit amusing earlier today. It would be far more accurate to say the show appeals the most to a fairly different type of otaku than the currently dominant variety, but there's no shortage of elements that both the newer fans and their older counterparts can easily appreciate.

In any case, I'm also happy it's doing well. Jojo is very enjoyable and has just about the perfect pacing for a shounen fighting show so far. Let's hope that they don't become a little too greedy and refuse to raise the animation budget for the next part, since that's probably the weakest aspect of the series.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

It's manly as hell and isn't stuffed to the gills with cute girls. How is that Otaku?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

You're kidding, right?

It's manly as hell and isn't stuffed to the gills with cute girls. How is that Otaku?

I'm not sure myself since I don't see the appeal, but there must be some reason that every other LN these days references JoJo.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I believe you might be looking at it from too much of a narrow perspective by assuming there's only one specific way to appeal to otaku. What you are describing is a generalization that reflects one of the current trends, yes, but not the entire picture. That sort of logic wasn't true way back when the original Jojo manga was made, when the most popular otaku trends were also significantly different, and it still isn't true under today's circumstances.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Same way all the otaku anime that doesn't involve cute girls is for otaku. Is Psycho Pass not for otaku either in your eyes? Or Sword Art Online? Or Steins;Gate? Otaku shows exist beyond a group of girls doing cute things like K-ON and Girls und Panzer. There's different genres, otaku is just an audience
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Same way all the otaku anime that doesn't involve cute girls is for otaku. Is Psycho Pass not for otaku either in your eyes? Or Sword Art Online? Or Steins;Gate? Otaku shows exist beyond a group of girls doing cute things like K-ON and Girls und Panzer. There's different genres, otaku is just an audience

SAO and S;G still use some Otaku anime tropes and both have a very "otaku anime" style. Not to say that all otaku anime look the same, but they have some of the wide-sweeping trappings.

JoJo's on the other hand looks completely seinen.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Jojo's pretty much a cultural asset now in Japan. It's transcended across different audiences.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

SAO and S;G still use some Otaku anime tropes and both have a very "otaku anime" style. Not to say that all otaku anime look the same, but they have some of the wide-sweeping trappings.

It took almost two decades for JoJo series to move from shounen magazines to seinen magazine.

Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes manga also currently run in the same magazine as JoJolion.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Rofl, you don't know what that word means, do you?

Seinen manga is responsible for nearly all anime you seem to hate Chagen. You should really learn the meanings of the words you try and fail to use before using them.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
I love how you guys flip your shit when I wasn't even insulting those kimds of shows.

Protip: the only shows I'm watching this season are Love Live, Mondai-Ji, Vividred, and Oreshura. Stop acting like I hate Otaku shows.

Not that will placate you, given that you appear to possess skin roughly as thick as a hydrogen molecule.
totoum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Stop acting like I hate Otaku shows.

it's still funny that you try and present "otaku style" anime and "seinen" as if they're not the same thing when if fact a lot of "otaku style" animes are seinens , one notable example: K-on! is a seinen and it looks nothing like Jojo pt1 & 2(which was in fact published at the time in shonen jump so it's actually not a seinen)
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
About JoJo:
Chagen46 wrote:

Well, it could be targetted towards Fujoshi, with that description. Not saying that JoJo necessarily is, though I might characterize the people here who collect JoJo figures as such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2