• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Drawn & Quarterly Adds Shigeru Mizuki's Showa Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Nononba and Onward toward our noble deaths were excellent --- the former for its autobiographical look into Japanese folklore, the latter for its unflinching, cynical look at the misery of being a grunt on the losing side of a war.

I expect Mizuki's Showa history to be just as unflinching. It will be interesting to see what he thought of the postwar era, and Japan's long boom (the series ends before the bubble burst, I expect (though I no longer remember how long ago that was)).

I'm looking forward to this.

I hope D&Q brings out more of Mizuki's Gegege no Kintaro, too.
glitchhunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Great! More Mizuki. Can't complain about that~
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I expect Mizuki's Showa history to be just as unflinching. It will be interesting to see what he thought of the postwar era, and Japan's long boom (the series ends before the bubble burst, I expect (though I no longer remember how long ago that was)).

Peak Tokyo property prices were in 1988. Overall Japan peak property prices were 1991. As the article notes, changeover from Showa to Heisei was 1989, and this manga was written about then, so he probably just had an inkling that the bubble would burst, but not how far it would decline.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
Man so many OS titles coming out from veteran manga-ka. I'll add this to my list of things to request and read. I read Nononba, really enjoyed it. I'm curious to know what happened with the last remake of his GeGeGe no Kitaro anime.

Now it would be nice if someone would release some good old fashioned Go Nagai. He deserves recognition too. Surprised
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Drawn and Quarterly? That seems like a rather gruesome title given that it sonds like drawn and quartered. But maybe that's just the sense of humor of whoever named it.
zackdavisson
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm the translator for this comic. It's amazing--a detailed look at Showa era Japan mixed with an autobiographical story of Mizuki Shigeru, narrated by Nezumi Otoko. I'm a huge Mizuki Shigeru fan so this was a big thrill to work on.

If anyone is interested in more Mizuki Shigeru, or yokai in general, you should check out my yokai translation blog hyakumonogatari.com

http://hyakumonogatari.com/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1