• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maoyū (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
methaniel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Episode 5

spoiler[
Still too much talk and not enough action.]

I thought for my part that we got not enough talk in this episode. I was going to say too much action but since it's needed for the plot to move forward, there hain't helping it.
Anyway, the time-line is flying forward really fast for now, though from the looks of it it'll not be that fast in the next episodes
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
last five minutes of this episode were hilarious. they really are a great couple
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
Despite its crawling pace thus far and the fact that it feels as if it lacks much of a conceivable direction by virtue of how distant every player always feels from the other, I have to say that I am rather liking it and not regretting the fact that it is thus far the sole property that I have picked up from this season. Admittedly, unless you're like me and tend to find the Demon King's breakdowns on crop and agricultural theory rather fascinating, this isn't going to be a blockbuster for most people.

I rather enjoyed the indirect exposition on spoiler[the similarity between the plight of human and demon citizens, namely, how they would inevitably be treated by their conquerors on both sides.] It further brings to light the irony of the fact that the one spearheading the most humane possible end to the war is the Demon King herself.

I also appreciate how all of the characters feel genuine, and behave the way you would imagine someone in a medieval society such as this would behave, factoring in the ever-amusing classical courtship methods and general formality without laying it on too hard. At the same time, we have the adorably awkward and amusing relationship dynamic between the Hero and the Demon King that feels as if it takes a few more liberties without detracting from the setting. This is either a good draw or something woefully unfortunate, since the best parts of this show tend to be when they are sharing screentime, which I am not certain is meant to outshine the economic themes.

Either way, it's motivating me to come back to it every week. The current state of my mind does not typically allow me to stick with a show on a weekly timeslot these days, so I guess it has to be doing plenty right.

Oh! And let's not forget the background art, which continues to be absolutely gorgeous. I am glad of that since that is what initially drew me to the series in the first place.

Last edited by Gatherum on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Achilles0010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
Man, the artwork in this series is really something special...It's been a long time since I've actually stopped and paused what was onscreen just to get a better look at the scenery, but I can't seem to help myself. Every wide angle shot I come across looks good enough to make it onto my desktop. And the fact that the visuals have been consistently beautiful since episode 1 makes their quality even more impressive. The characters are very nicely drawn and animated as well. Everything pops.

Unfortunately, I feel like the rest of the show pales in comparison to its production values. The main characters are just ok, Mao moreso than Yusha, but the premise (and general nature) of their "relationship" comes across as very bad fan-fiction, and I'm sure that if they werent channeling Holo/Lawrence as much as they are, I would have written them off completely by now. But, I like S&W too much. As for the story, it's also just ok. I'm not super impressed at the moment but I'll stick around a little longer and see where it goes.

I will say that the supporting cast is a little more interesting than I expected. The elder of the two maid sisters, the son of the Winter King, and the female knight all seem to be carrying their weight. I look forward to seeing what happens with them in the future.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
It's one of the few shows (anime or not) where I could give a crap less about whether the story fits together coherently or not. It all just seems to work. Even their relationship. I don't know why or how it works, but it just does for me.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm dropping this series. It seems every episode things start to get interesting then by the 2nd half I'm bored out of my mind. I may have to come back to it another time but as of now this series is not for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

spoiler[Hero's scare tactics were pretty LOL but effective.
The whole Dead Knight thing was ingenious.
Somehow there's too much discussing and less battles.
The front lines are where the action is.
So far this anime has been just mediocre.]
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Episode 6

Somehow there's too much discussing and less battles.
The front lines are where the action is.
So far this anime has been just mediocre.

That is my problem with this show. It's all talk and no show. That would be fine if this was a book but this is a visual medium. Show something more then the character talking about what is happening, what's going to and has happened. It really just seems like a waste with the beautiful art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 5-6

Ah~
The joy of owning a 16:9 flat screen TV and watching a spoiler[Blonde Knight kick a 7ft Walrus Warrior's ass] in 1080p.

Goodbye 240p, you shall not be missed~

So, Demon Queen decides to build an ice bridge for a land battle rather than a naval. Clever. Hero usingspoiler[ fairies] to employ some form of spoiler[psychological warfare(?) on the Commander] which causes him spoiler[to aid the humans in battle]... That seems to be rather far-fetched.

It's true that spoiler[he didn't want to be charge on the Southern front but to head straight toward the battle without permission from his superiors?] It's a good thing spoiler[he had quitted] before going to battle or else he would've been guilty of spoiler[insubordination].
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
ep.6

spoiler[red queen & big sis maid had some talk then ask what is war is really about? while our hero is doing scaring soldiers as a headless knight with help from fairies.

then female knight arrive area to meet winter ruler & old guy then come red queen give old guy wonder red queen's "meat" got bottle smack by female knight.

so red queen offer to help winter land is help build a bridge to cross battle sea demons then big battle is on & then the hero teleport to winter base then big walrus appear.

cue female knight vs big walrus with end knight slash to defeat walrus now victory dinner, female kinght & red queen in fancy outfit while the hero & old guy had some talks about how they been doing & good times.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
now that was amazing. We finally get to see spoiler[Lady knight] in action. now if only we could just see Hero kick some ass and finally show us how overpowered he is rather than everyone just telling us this.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
Hearing the same VA as Inaba from Kokoro Connect brings a big smile to my face in the latest episode. The Warrior Knight is just that damn good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I got a chuckle from seeing the spoiler[squid] as part of the menu at the party
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the anime is far too abbreviated, as if we're missing half of the episodes. It just jumps from scene to scene with a base summation of what happened between with little context or importance to the main story. The one thing I cannot call this anime is slow paced.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

spoiler[Peace, tranquility and day to day problems.
That pretty much summed up this episode.
Hero vs Knight training session/fun was nice.
Seems like the knight is having a crush on our Hero ^^
Looks like she's not the only one LOL
So their secret weapon is a printing press.
The midnight "tea party" was fun ^^]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 18