• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madman Acquired by Funtastic for $34.5 Million AUD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
Please note:
1: Funtastic Limited is in no way, shape or form affiliated with or part of Funimation Entertainment.

What about Funtastic Traveling Shows? I'd hate to see carnies in charge of Ghost in the Shell...
championferret

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fellow Madboarders,

It has been awhile since I appeared here, but you all helped us get where we are today and so I wanted to address your concerns personally.

Many of you are correct: nothing will change! Funtastic were interested in Madman for what we do right and I like to think (for the most part!) we keep you all pretty happy. There will be no upsetting of apple carts and in fact, if anything, we will be teaching Funtastic a thing or two!

When it comes to anime, Funtastic trust us. They know that we are fans of anime. They know we read manga. They know we talk to you guys and do our best to address your concerns. They are right behind anime and INSIST that we keep doing what we’ve been doing and they want to give us the tools to do it BETTER!

I am staying right here as Managing Director of Madman. Sly and the rest of the anime team remain in place. For the record, AV Channel (our distributor,) is part of the deal, but this too will not affect the way we do business. Our products will show up in stores as normal.

Now, the other point of concern I can see is the references to Funtastic and kids properties. Let me assure you, if “Ninja Scroll 2” or a new Gantz series is released, I’m going to jump right on them. Remember: I love this stuff too!

We WILL be pursuing more kids properties, but under our new “Mad 4 Kids” label. Think of this like Eastern Eye – separate to the anime.

Keep an eye on Madman guys – there’s lots of exciting, POSITIVE stuff planned and I hope you’ll stick around to see us take anime and manga to the next level!

- Tim Anderson
Managing Director

...so I HOPE this means we shouldnt worry....but this is the same distributor that *promised* an uncut One Piece in 06 and then suddenly came back with, 'Oh dear, america didn't do it so we wont either, here, let's just release the crappy edited DVDs and ruin OP's reputation for good!'
Xtreme-X

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...so I HOPE this means we shouldnt worry....but this is the same distributor that *promised* an uncut One Piece in 06 and then suddenly came back with, 'Oh dear, america didn't do it so we wont either, here, let's just release the crappy edited DVDs and ruin OP's reputation for good!'

Yeah I know what you mean. I can already see the kiddy crap now, I just hope they stick to the good stuff otherwise I'm importing it from overseas.
Jedi_Vader20

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
I think you guys are missing the point here. In the same thread as that announcement was posted, it was also posted that no changes will be made to the way Madman does things without Tim Anderson's total approval.

ie Madman isn't going to change any time soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
chiyoko

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote
funtastic better not have much influence in what madman releases....
because if it does it'd probably be childish anime... *dropsdead*
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
chiyoko wrote:
funtastic better not have much influence in what madman releases....
because if it does it'd probably be childish anime... *dropsdead*

Funtastic will have an influence on Madman. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. The news even specifies at least one influence.

Madman *will* be releasing children's titles under the new kids label.

However, what should be important to anime fans is that they've said this won't have any negative impact on their other anime. They inferred that they will continue to license mature titles and they will not edit these shows any more thanthey have in the past. I assume they also intend to license just as many, or more titles than they would have otherwise.

Depending on what kind of money Funtastic invests into Madman.

Looking at the recent sale of Funimation as an example, the new owners invested US$8 million into the company for new licenses. This is in addition to the budget that Funimation already had for new licenses.

So there, we have assurances from Madman that they won't be negatively impacted by this purchase. Obviously we'll never know until later, but for now the assumption should be that nothing will change for the worse.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1