• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 3.33 BD/DVD to Add Ghibli's 'Giant God Warrior' Short

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
im definitely preordering this badboy.... it dosent look like they will have a special edition like in 2.0 where it comes with a film strip, mine was of asuka laying on her bed right before she goes to shinji.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
This what I'm thinking. I'm willing to bet FUNimatione is working on a dub or will soon be doing so and we're talking like September or October for the dub release!

No! Why do you people willfully ignore that the Japanese producers view reverse importation as a legitimate threat even if it may be undeserving of that fear? Whether it's widespread or not, there's no way they're going to let a 100k seller be simultaneously or closely released in the same region for less money.
Taiwan and Hong Kong were able to release 2.22 on DVD/Blu-ray with Japanese audio in 1/2 months following the Japanese release. Both are region A in BDs, but region 3 in DVDs (Japan is region 2).

I wouldn't say it's 100% a fear of reverse importation as Funi's just slow to release movies (wanting to put big hits in theatres for award nominations/promotion prior to disc release). Their estimate for Wolf Children is "around the holidays" and that releases tomorrow in Japan. Again, Taiwan gets it next month.
xeroth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
xeroth wrote:
"The first copies of each will also bundle an original soundtrack CD with Hikaru Utada's theme song "Sakura Nagashi."

Surely the OST won't be exclusive to the BD/DVD release?
I'll be pretty annoyed if it is... (Or will have to buy it Razz)
Both the OST and the theme song single are already available separately.

Ah, that's the 'Music from' CD, they did one of those for 1.0 too as well as an Official Soundtrack. I've already got the one for 3.0 and it doesn't contain Sakura Nagashi either, They've only released the music video for the song on DVD physically so far.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
xeroth wrote:
Ah, that's the 'Music from' CD, they did one of those for 1.0 too as well as an Official Soundtrack. I've already got the one for 3.0 and it doesn't contain Sakura Nagashi either, They've only released the music video for the song on DVD physically so far.

There was a Sakura Nagashi single released separately from the soundtrack. It only has two tracks on it (normal and karaoke), but it was released. I own it. >.>
6ypnj2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
So...if I imported it, I could play it on an American blu-ray player, right?
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Sweet, I'm defiantly per-ordering this~ Its good that they only waited like 6 months instead of a year like they did with 2.22

If funimation gets their act together, they can release this for the holiday season

This what I'm thinking. I'm willing to bet FUNimation is working on a dub or will soon be doing so and we're talking like September or October for the dub release!

Well they haven't announced the license (which probably won't happen until one of the major Spring conventions ... at the earliest), so they're probably not even working on it yet and then they'll have a limited theater run and then the media release. Considering these factors, I don't see it being released this year
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
If you import the japanese blu-ray copy yes it will work on a US blu-ray player but it will have no english subtitles so unless you know japanese like a few of us then why would you want to import it?

I just did a quick search and 1.0 came 18 months here stateside after the japanese home video release. And 1.11 and 2.22 were about 10 months from their japanese counterpart.

So going by 10 months minimum of April 24, 2013 for 3.33 we are looking at the earliest release date in the U.S. of February 2014 which is over 1 year from now.

Was thinking of importing it and having a movie marathon but since all my friends can't understand raw japanese I'll just wait for the U.S. release.

I've actually seen the film and I wasn't too impressed it's my least favorite of the 3 so far. Most of the characters don't get any real screen time, a lot of things change and don't go into detail on what happened. And in this movie every scene is original none of it was based on the original series at all. So no recaps or slight alterations to what we have seen before. Just thought the whole thing was alright.

Eva is my favorite series so I'll buy it no matter what, I'm really waiting for 4.0 the last film want to see how they will end the new series and it better be good and easier to understand than end of eva.
Tratious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
6ypnj2 wrote:
So...if I imported it, I could play it on an American blu-ray player, right?
Yes the King Records BD releases are region free and will play in Regions A,B, or C. But there is no subtitles on the disc for English speakers though.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
If you import the japanese blu-ray copy yes it will work on a US blu-ray player but it will have no english subtitles so unless you know japanese like a few of us then why would you want to import it?

I imported 2.22 back when I had just started learning Japanese. Evangelion is such a big deal to me that I was quite happy to buy the import Blu-ray and watch a fansub, and then eventually buy the North American release when it came out.
As soon as it's available on yesasia.com, I'm pre-ordering this bad boy. It's a shame that my Japanese is still bad enough that I'd only be able to understand 50-60% of the dialogue though.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:14 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
It's a shame that my Japanese is still bad enough that I'd only be able to understand 50-60% of the dialogue though.

According to the article, there are Japanese subtitles for the hard of hearing, so you could just turn those on and watch with dictionaries at the ready and one finger on the Pause button. I can't catch everything by voice alone, so that's what I do whenever I watch a disc that has Japanese subs.

WRT to the article, YES!! I'd be highly annoyed if that short wasn't included, so good to have confirmation. Man...there's nothing like quite like going to see an Evangelion movie where the first thing you see is a giant, blood-red Ghibli logo Smile

Also curious about the full content of this CD. I really liked the music in this one, but I haven't bought any CDs yet because the BGM and the Hikaru Utada song have been released separately.

And how about that price difference! Woo! Going DVD saves you a whopping 105 yen! I get the feeling someone's trying to get me to give in to the inevitability of Blu-Ray.
Nandosagi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
When's Funi putting it out?

Well, I'm not sure.

I tried Googling but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for: the DVD/BD date in Japan for Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos, which released in theaters in Japan on July 2, 2011, was shown in US theaters in January 2012, and came out dubbed on DVD/BD on April 24, 2012. That's a turnaround from Japanese theaters to US home release of roughly only nine months.

I don't expect this Eva film to see a release that quickly, but I would not completely rule out a November or December 2013 release.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Yay, that short looked amazing! Such sweet models in todays CGI world!
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Nandosagi if you read my post I put the release dates for the previous Eva Rebuild movies with estimates for the newest one. Their is no way they can release it 7-8 months after the Japanese home video release in time for christmas when it takes 10 months from previous releases.

We all know that their is a much higher risk of reverse importation for Eva then a filler FMA movie.

I looked it up for you FMA Milos was release Feb 08, 2012 in Japan on Blu Ray/DVD and here state side 2 months later which is abnormally fast. Their must have been some sort of deal that got it here so quickly, I'll bet good money that no company can negociate a deal for such a turn around time.
Nandosagi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Nandosagi if you read my post I put the release dates for the previous Eva Rebuild movies with estimates for the newest one. Their is no way they can release it 7-8 months after the Japanese home video release in time for christmas when it takes 10 months from previous releases.

We all know that their is a much higher risk of reverse importation for Eva then a filler FMA movie.

I looked it up for you FMA Milos was release Feb 08, 2012 in Japan on Blu Ray/DVD and here state side 2 months later which is abnormally fast. Their must have been some sort of deal that got it here so quickly, I'll bet good money that no company can negociate a deal for such a turn around time.

Personally, I do agree with your ten months guess; February 2014 sounds about right. All I wanted was to make a point.

Thank you for finding that date for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2