Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paper: Police Investigates If Sandy Hook Shooter Emulated Game Scenario


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lady Multi



Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Posts: 637
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
Dynasty Warriors????? How the crap does that relate to some guy with mental problems shooting children with, you know, guns that aren't IN Dynasty Warriors?

Do they seriously not want to believe that the guy had mental issues that were not addressed because no one in the US gives a flying F&#@ about healthcare for people?
....seriously, no one has health care to take care of mental problems.. I know if I could afford a psychologist/psychiatrist I would be diagnosed with a case of OCD and either schizophrenia or something weird like that. I'm sane enough to know I have issues; I'm pretty sure there are a great deal that aren't aware of their mental issues.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KENZICHI



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 1031
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
NO. It did NOT. Why are they wasting their time on this nonsense? I'm sure they would have heard of a game that dealt with killing children. They're just trying to find another way to blame video games for all the bad things that happen. Video games cause all the world's problems. Video games are an abomination!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Panzer Vor



Joined: 04 Dec 2012
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:05 am Reply with quote
steev-sama wrote:
As it stands, this all cycles back to the NRA trying to blame anything but guns for the cause. The only problem with that conclusion is that everywhere in the world has the same violent video games, but the US is the only first world country that has such a high rate of gun violence. What is the difference? I would say the guns.

And the only problem with your conclusion is that there are other countries in the first world (Canada, Finland, Germany, Norway, and Switzerland, to name a few) that have high rates of gun ownership, yet have low rates of violent crime in general. What is the difference? I would say a lot of things, like sensible gun legislation, the presence of a functioning social safety net, and mental health services that are actually worth something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tehnoob



Joined: 25 Aug 2012
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:32 am Reply with quote
what they didn't find is the ticket for rambo adam bought on release day.

icandoittoo.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Polycell



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 4623
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
If you are seriously going to sit there and equate it to the suggestion that "gee, maybe the fact that he had access the actual physical tool that he used to murder all these people...had something to do with him murdering these people, then you're utterly intellectually bankrupt.

I'm not saying that you have to agree that this automatically means getting rid of guns would have prevented this but come on dude. If there is to be even a shred of legitimacy to your argument you have to acknowledge that questioning the culpability of gun law is a hell of a lot more plausible than questioning the culpability of video games.
No, it's exactly as absurd to say one thing mechanistically caused him to decide to commit murder as any other one thing. Human beings, quite simply, don't work that way; pretending otherwise gets you bullcrap like that mentioned in the article every single time.

In any event, the specific charge was that guns caused violence, something that's been debunked time and again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nandosagi



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Posts: 36
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
Never have I seen a newspaper article work so hard to say so little. What a piece of irresponsible journalism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nandosagi



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Posts: 36
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
Never have I seen a newspaper article work so hard to say so little. What a piece of irresponsible journalism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheAncientOne



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 1841
Location: USA (mid-south)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

As for the investigation: old people still haven't gotten it in their heads that violent video games do not violent people make, news at 11. It's almost as if "naturally violent people seek out violent games", and not "violent games make people naturally violent".

This old person wonders why we don't see anyone in the media suggesting that without those violent video games as an outlet, the only difference may have been that he would have instigated such an incident much sooner.

Until such a theory is investigated, it seems equally as valid as "violent games make (some) people violent".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13721
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
prabb wrote:
Nocturne123 wrote:
I'd like to know what the hell kind of game there is that involved going into a school and killing kids. Let me answer that: None.


Super Columbine Massacre RPG


Gal Gun. Not really. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rinmackie



Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 1040
Location: in a van! down by the river!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
I remember that was initially reported that he killed his mom because she was going to send him away to an institution. And he shot up the elementary school because she had been volunteering there and he thought she loved those kids more than him. But nobody seem to remember those reports, which to me, make the most sense. Anyway, I read that the cops were denying the reports about the video games and the Norway shooter; it's all just speculation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7271
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
No, it's exactly as absurd to say one thing mechanistically caused him to decide to commit murder as any other one thing. Human beings, quite simply, don't work that way; pretending otherwise gets you bullcrap like that mentioned in the article every single time.


Stop hiding behind pedantry and straw man arguments. Obviously nobody is claiming that simply giving someone a gun mechanically turns them into a killer. But while the role of video games is literally an invention of the media, the fact is that a gun was the tool that gave him the means to easily and efficiently murder all those people before anyone could stop him. Again, I'm not saying one must be anti-gun because of this but to equate them to video games is to essentially refuse to acknowledge that they clearly played a role here which utterly disingenuous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 8173
Location: England, UK
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Think "National Enquirer" for ultra- right wing fascists and you'll have the "Express". Rolling Eyes

This is a given that if they find lots of those they are going to do the maths and come up with 42. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5897
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, so the police still think video game was the cause of this. OK, so what about the real problem like the kid had mental problem, isn't that that main focus or is video game more important to them then the real problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jl07045



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 1479
Location: Riga, Latvia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Polycell wrote:
No, it's exactly as absurd to say one thing mechanistically caused him to decide to commit murder as any other one thing. Human beings, quite simply, don't work that way; pretending otherwise gets you bullcrap like that mentioned in the article every single time.


Stop hiding behind pedantry and straw man arguments. Obviously nobody is claiming that simply giving someone a gun mechanically turns them into a killer. But while the role of video games is literally an invention of the media, the fact is that a gun was the tool that gave him the means to easily and efficiently murder all those people before anyone could stop him. Again, I'm not saying one must be anti-gun because of this but to equate them to video games is to essentially refuse to acknowledge that they clearly played a role here which utterly disingenuous.


About video games.
About guns.

Not to say that there are no different opinions in academia. It's a single guy's opinion, but at least he's an expert and has something to back it up with.

The newspaper article seems pretty irresponsible. There's a false dilemma there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Polycell



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 4623
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Now I want to know if anybody's studied the effects of spiders and snakes on "aggressive" behavior(quotes because of the honking thing).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group