• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Reveals PlayStation 4 Home Console

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so the games graphically look good, but they didn't show one game I was truly excited about.

The best thing I saw was the Angi's Philosophy tech demo that wasnt new, for one reason: It looked different.

All of the other games either used the generic high fantasy look or the every day look outside your window look, and quite frankly, it isn't visually stimulating to me. I want creative worlds with characters that dont look like someone who went in a shopped at JC Penny or wherever.

On the PS2, you had tons of creative IP's come out that didn't necessarily look like real life. So many different ideas. I feel like as graphics are getting better, developers are looking the fantasy look.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
That was the most boring presentation I've ever watched.

Personally, I was left pretty unimpressed by the PlayStation 4. I didn't want to see promotional videos that didn't represent gameplay or hypothetical talk, I wanted to see gameplay. I wanted to see game announcements that screamed "By me!".

Didn't see that. Watch_Dogs looked awesome, but it's also coming out on PS3 and even has a Wii U version rumoured, so I'll buy it for one of those instead of forking out for a new console.

And no Sony, I'm still not buying a Vita.
Eri94

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I just want to point out, check your facts before spouting something idiotic like "hurr hurr only 8GB of RAM".

The RAM is DDR5. Not DDR2 or 3 etc.

The specs really are quite nice.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Big fat meh. they're really pushing the social media crap, and that "if you stink at games you can get other people to do it for you" feature was pretty insulting.

looks like im gonna be pc gaming for a time longer.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
well, the spec for the PS4 is rather interesting. I watch the Playstation live event today but I watched half of it. But it's nice to see that system is getting a lot of support. I'm still concerned with the lack of backward compatibility and no chance of playing back blu-ray movie nor DVDs. I was surprised to hear that Blizzard and Sony are partnering up, I'm not big on Diablo. But I would love Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty to get a PS3 port (with Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the void expansion included, and include Move support).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mune

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
So, is it disc based? Will it even have physical media at all? Will it be able to play DVDs and/or Blu-rays?

Quote:
Perry also revealed that the PS4 will include apps for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, Facebook, and Crackle, among others.

Where's Crunchyroll?
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Watch_Dogs has just been confirmed for Wii U , XBox 360 and PC as well.

Bye bye need to get a PS4.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Driveclub is the only game they showed that I'm interested in. Anything from the creators of Motorstorm is worth a look by me.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
So, is it disc based? Will it even have physical media at all? Will it be able to play DVDs and/or Blu-rays?

Quote:
Perry also revealed that the PS4 will include apps for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, Facebook, and Crackle, among others.

Where's Crunchyroll?

CR and Neon Alley are gonna be on PS4. I have no idea why that would not be mentioned on a anime site but yeah...They were in the list of video services in during the conference.
Eri94

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

Quote:

Where's Crunchyroll?
It's Blu Ray obviously, this isn't even in doubt.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
So, with no backwards compatibility, and the distinct lack of physical media being mentioned an indication that the rumors of this being download-only, this is an obvious no-buy for me.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Big, fat meh is meh. Nothing anyone else hasn't already done in some way. Not being substantially different from the PS3 doesn't give reasons to the owners of that system to buy the PS4. Makes previous systems obsolete.

It's up to the next XBox to outdo Nintendo, not that I'm expecting that to happen (tech-wise, anyway).

Last edited by Tenbyakugon on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I just think it's too soon. Maybe I'm being unfair - the PS2 had a long lifespan and some of its most innovative games came out in its latter years, but when the PS3 is compared to it, there's no match. New hardware is great, but without a good, diverse library of games to go with it (especially when you lack backwards compatibility, so older games are a no-go) there's no point.
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
This is the 1st site I saw that is completely bashing the system. Did people forget that a feature that most people have wanted for a long time will be possible, watching a friend play a game and being able to comment with them. Also we got a Final Fantasy anticipation statement, Some mind blowing graphics, and a lot of games that at least 1 should be able to satisfy each person.

Most of the negative comments i see are mostly "the system didn't take my eyeballs out my eye sockets and code the game in my brain like I wanted." Seriously what else do you want it to do? Also they mentioned backwards compatibility CURRENTLY being researched via stream so that's been brought up also.

I'd say the ONLY problem I saw was the emphasis on social aspects of the system. My only gripe is that the system looks to social for me.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
I just think it's too soon. Maybe I'm being unfair - the PS2 had a long lifespan and some of its most innovative games came out in its latter years, but when the PS3 is compared to it, there's no match. New hardware is great, but without a good, diverse library of games to go with it (especially when you lack backwards compatibility, so older games are a no-go) there's no point.

Its been 7 years since PS3 came out. Normal console lifespan is 6-7 years. It fits perfectly.

Nothing says PS3 won't still last for a couple years since niche developers will still focus on it. Look at PS2, it was the "Dominant" console from only 2000-2006. But it still had games coming out in 2009.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7