• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony: PS4's Exterior Design, Region-Locking Possibility to Be Revealed Later

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
All I'm going to say is this, gaming is luxury not necessity it took me a few days to realize this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
I really don't see how the exterior design matters at all. It's a piece of computer hardware.

Region locking would be unfortunate simply because it seems so unnecessary. Personally though, I'm indifferent. I don't import anyway.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
I use to import alot in the PS2 days because half of the games I wanted were released in Europe. Now that the PS3 is region free I can't remember the last time I imported a game because everything that's released in America that I want comes out in Europe even the JRPGs.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Please be region-free... I cannot trust Namco-Bandai to localize all the Tales series games. My collection would be sad to not allow any future Tales games to be played.

I hate region-lock.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
Current consoles (PS3, 360) can't really game at 1080. 1920*1080 has been the "standard TV resolution" for much of the lifecycle of these current consoles, though I do not believe that it was at their inception.

I predict the same thing happening with 4k tvs: they aren't en vogue now, but before the PS4 is retired they will be, and the games will look like crap as they won't be close to the native 4k resolution of our TVs/monitors. Though it'll be less of an eyesore than the current 1280*720 (or less) in a 1920*1080 world.

"Future-proof forsooth"<--unofficial motto of Sony's console development team, right alongside "you can't use that" (referencing Linux).
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I really don't see how the exterior design matters at all. It's a piece of computer hardware.

Because it's done by the marketing team (or rather as-directed by the marketing team) and so it tells you a lot about the intended use cases and so forth, which in turn tells you a lot about the games and the playing experience.

Take the original Xbox. When it was revealed to be snot-green, we could tell with a fair degree of confidence that it would largely be marketed at pubescent boys, and lo-and-behold it was, while the black of the PS3 and later suggested a device aimed at a slightly more sophisticated, older, market[1]. Meanwhile the gamecube looks a bit like a toy and the Wii has neutral stylings.

[1] Or at least marketed as such; the difference between "marketed to members of group X" and "marketed as if it were targetted at members of group X" can probably best be seen with benson-n-hedges cigarettes, which like all fags are actually sold to desperate addicts but the desperate addicts who buy benson-n-hedges also buy the image that it'll give them a classier form of lung cancer.

But then the desire to appear sophisticated is in itself somewhat sophisticated, so...
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
Sloppy mess you are, Sony. It seems even you don't even know what it is you're doing, yet you try to talk about it like you do. You're unorganized and people can see that all too easily.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
the black of the PS3 and later suggested a device aimed at a slightly more sophisticated, older, market

Quote:
Or at least marketed as such; the difference between "marketed to members of group X" and "marketed as if it were targetted at members of group X"...

Quote:
But then the desire to appear sophisticated is in itself somewhat sophisticated, so...

You know, the fact that you can't even get through your own post without repeatedly contradicting yourself should really tell you how meaningless this kind of speculation is.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
region locking it would suck
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
is no three D support?

really?
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense to me in terms timeline. I can see why they didn't show us the box yet. They may have some more tweeking to do.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Sloppy mess you are, Sony. It seems even you don't even know what it is you're doing, yet you try to talk about it like you do. You're unorganized and people can see that all too easily.

Yet you know what they should be doing right? You have all answers?
Banjo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
if its region locked I will get a JP one. I couldn't care about US titles. Cool
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that PS4 would be region lock, they didn't region lock the Vita and also remember the last time we heard rumour about how the PS4 wouldn't play used games and that turn out to be not true. How do we know the region lock on PS4 is true or not, this could be a rumour with no evidence.

EDIT: I forgot the PS4 doesn't used physical media like PS3 and PS2. I would love to see the PS store on PS4 to maybe have a section for imported game (that are not translated, well they can't bring SRW to US PS Store due to licensing problem).

EDIT 2: After reading this on IGN, it looks like PS4 will used blu-ray disc. But I still doubt region lock for PS4 will be for real.

Banjo wrote:
if its region locked I will get a JP one. I couldn't care about US titles. Cool

There's a lot of good western games and I believe Call of duty is popular in Japan.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that the PS4 will be physically about the size of the second model PS3 (the first Slim model). It will likely incorporate two features:

1. HDMI 2.0 interface support, so it can smoothly upscale videos to 3840x2160 resolution at higher than 24 frames per second on compatible TV sets (I expect most of the "4K" TV sets to be HDMI 2.0 compatible).

2. Built-in 802.11ac WiFi support for smoother media streaming of even 1080p 30 frames per second videos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2