• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can you know about the he musical style of anime differ from cartoons?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beaul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
The extensive use of music is very successful in anime, but is largely ignored in cartoons except in the case of sing-a-longs.

Is it out of laziness or is the story and the structure of most cartoons so different it wouldn’t really support the compositions of someone like Kenji Kawai or Susumu Hirasawa, instead it would feel out of place?
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Are you referring to soundtracks, insert songs, openings/endings, or all of the above? If soundtracks, I know the Avatar series has a very good one. I especially love the Korra soundtrack because it uses so much jazz, which I've fallen in love with recently. If insert songs, I know Adventure Time has a lot of really catchy ones. I don't even watch the series, my sister does, and I know all of the words to some of them.
iamalive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It's the anime/cartoons, not the music. They could play a good, sad song during a cartoon, and you wouldn't really care about the music because the cartoon is funny (most likely). But they could play that same sad song during an anime, which aren't always meant for comedy, and the song would go perfect and you'd really like the song AND the anime scene.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I hate when people try to make "anime" and "cartoon" a seperate genre, but that's just me. But in a lot of US cartoons, the OST doesn't mean much, because it's not bombastic or it doesn't have a quality, that Japanese cartoons usually have, but before I end up like BonusStage and start generalizing, Batman TAS IMO has a kick ass score, which fits the mood perfectly. Same with Batman Beyond and Justice League. The DCAU have some of the best OST of ant US/Western cartoon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1