• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
^Ok, cus for a second there, I was thinking "but i have the complete collection, I didn't get a soundtrack with it!" but that makes a lot more sense. I got both me #1 and my complete series from TRSI (got the Legends set first, though it was actually through them on Amazon)
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Gall Force: Destruction, Gall Force: Earth Chapter, Gall Force: New Era-Earth Chapter is quite expensive (if you can find it). I was very lucky to find my copy for $10 used last year which led me to get the rest of the series. I've been pretty lucky in my anime collecting over the years-things like The Story Of Saiunkoku, Maison Ikkoku.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Gall Force: Destruction, Gall Force: Earth Chapter, Gall Force: New Era-Earth Chapter is quite expensive (if you can find it). I was very lucky to find my copy for $10 used last year which led me to get the rest of the series. I've been pretty lucky in my anime collecting over the years-things like The Story Of Saiunkoku, Maison Ikkoku.
Lucky you. I'd love to own a copy of Earth Chapter on DVD, but I doubt I ever will.

(Even though Gall Force is really not very good, and I don't know why it makes SA's list at all, to be honest.)
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I have a certain nostalgic attachment to Gall Force: Eternal Story. It was an old regular in the Sci-Fi Channel's Saturday Anime rotation. It was one of the things that I wrote about in my the first of my many contributions to the "What Are You Watching Now" thread. My interest in seeing the rest, which isn't especially keen, is just strange curiosity and completionism.

classicalzawa wrote:
I really enjoyed Genkaku Picasso if you want easy to obtain Usamaru Furuya. It also convinced me that he must get off on drawing because there is no other way to describe the art in all his series, but especially Genkaku Picasso.

I should put that on my list, but I keep forgetting it for whatever reason. Your description of what... uh... undergirds his art is very... striking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oriana3k

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
A question for the people talking about Fantastic Children: about how big is the special edition artbox? Can you fit the complete collection inside it? I'm planning to get the SE for the soundtrack, and if the artbox is usable in that way, that would be a sweet, sweet bonus. Very Happy
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Oriana3k wrote:
A question for the people talking about Fantastic Children: about how big is the special edition artbox? Can you fit the complete collection inside it? I'm planning to get the SE for the soundtrack, and if the artbox is usable in that way, that would be a sweet, sweet bonus. Very Happy

Alas, no. The special edition box is pretty ordinary cardboard and large enough only for the DVD and CD cases within. It's one of those questionable special editions that Bandai seemed uniquely fond of. As with Scrapped Princess, no artbox to hold the entire series was ever released.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oriana3k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Oriana3k wrote:

Alas, no. The special edition box is pretty ordinary cardboard and large enough only for the DVD and CD cases within. It's one of those questionable special editions that Bandai seemed uniquely fond of. As with Scrapped Princess, no artbox to hold the entire series was ever released.

Aww, sadness. I guess you can't have everything. Thanks for the info.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
As with Scrapped Princess, no artbox to hold the entire series was ever released.

For North America that would a correct. An artbox was released in Australia (for the same amount of singles).

Not my picture (it's the top right corner one). To the left is Planets (another series that BEI never released an artbox for, but Madman did).

Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
Oriana3k wrote:

Once again the complete collection/Anime Legends (as in the non special edition) also has the soundtrack included.

I know this because that is the version I bought and it included the soundtrack. It was not just in the special edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Children-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B00126809O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361806938&sr=8-1&keywords=fantastic+children

That being said at this point the singles might even be cheaper than the Anime Legends set.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It sucks to hear that Magic Knight Rayearth 2 is hard to get. I've had it on order from TRSI since the end of last month. I had ordered it and the second season together, but only the first has come, with TRSI insisting that they'll be getting more 'soon'.

*sigh*

If only I had more money… and time… and storage… and Scotch.

Me too! How weird. I too also got the 1st season a week or so ago from RightStuf, but am still waiting on S2. Here's hoping they can dig up a few more copies.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Once again the complete collection/Anime Legends (as in the non special edition) also has the soundtrack included.

I know this because that is the version I bought and it included the soundtrack. It was not just in the special edition.

You are really leading people on here. As noted a couple posts ago, you won't get the OST unless the new copy is specially marked with a sticker on the shrinkwrap (stating that's included). Your chance is working against you on a copy without a specially marked sticker (think of the Geneon lottery releases, particularly the singles).
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It sucks to hear that Magic Knight Rayearth 2 is hard to get...
How extraordinary. I just looked at Amazon, and sellers there are trying to get $300 on up for the 2010 release. For the sake of posters above, I hope it's not the case that those sellers know something TRSI isn't letting on about. Sad
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

You are really leading people on here. As noted a couple posts ago, you won't get the OST unless the new copy is specially marked with a sticker on the shrinkwrap (stating that's included). Your chance is working against you on a copy without a specially marked sticker (think of the Geneon lottery releases, particularly the singles).

Not that I don't believe you but that sounds strange to randomly put the OST in some box sets and not others.

It's not like I was purposely leading people on I was going by my own experiences (I didn't see your other post). And if it is in random boxes then all it takes is to ask. TRSI especially has good customer service.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Wolf's Rain, it doesn't seem to be too expensive as of yet (I could even get the singles for cheap).
But I have a question, disc 4, that's the infamous recaps, right? If I were to say, not buy that disc, any big deal there? Just get 1-3, 5-7? Would I even notice an entire disc is missing?
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
^ Nope. IIRC, there is only ~10 sec of new animation in 1 out of those 4 eps, and it's missable. It 'reveals' something about the first ep that I considered obvious, but I can see how someone would miss it. Even if a person didn't connect the dots on their own, it isn't a significant event so there's nothing lost. Not having that one disc would drive me crazy personally (completionist), but story-wise there is no reason to own it or watch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 93 of 132