• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Filler Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I ended up dropping both Maoyu and Problem Children on episode six. Even after reading impressions on those, I don't understand how most people are not bored to tears by those shows.

I can't speak for Maoyuu but Mondai-Ji has got to be one of the most entertaining anime I've seen in a while. It pokes fun at a lot of anime tropes, EVERY character is cool and awesome in some kind of way, it's quite funny, and the thing is just plain charming in my eyes.

Also, it has a main character who attempts to capture someone by destroying a god-damn clocktower and letting the rubble fall on his target.

How can you NOT hate an MC like that? After years of spineless wimps the fact that the MC--hell, every character--is powerful and crazy as shit is what makes the show so fun in my eyes. It's like watching a bunch of RPG players on New Game + stomp early-game enemies.
unready

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Regarding Shinsekai Yori ...
Bamboo Dong wrote:
I want the human side of things. I feel like the weirdness of this series is diluted by the Monster Rats, because while monsters and creatures are always kind of neat and cool, what makes this series unique is this sterile, dystopic society that kills its own children. That should be the focus of the show... not these rats.

I think it's the relationship, if you can call it that, between the humans and the rats that's important. PK-users were forbidden to use their powers to subjugate other humans, so they created a species they could subjugate to satisfy their megalomania, even putting a new spin on the phrase "the country of the gods" when the PK-users refer to themselves as the gods.

That they classify factual history and mind-wipe their own people, even adults, to conceal that history is a symptom of the dystopia, but a credible one within the story, I think. Replacing history with propaganda isn't unusual even within the last century. However, having the ruling body be called the "ethics committee" and having its members be secret, even from their own families, is a complete trope.

In addition, I think some good thought has gone into considering the nature of sociopathic violence in a world where PK is common. However, having the main story elements revolve around people's inability to defend themselves from those threats seems pretty shallow and contrived, so that ultimately I'm left with the sense of contrivance. If the show focussed on this element more (and I think it's already focussing on it a lot in recent episodes), the show would be weaker, because it would be like shining a spotlight on the flaws.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Comments:

The latest episode of Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman was the first episode where I realized the characters were starting to bore me.

Regarding Vividred Operation:

"Fanservice without purpose is just a waste of digital paint."

You're implying Vividred Operation isn't all a complete waste of digital paint?

From the New World:

"What makes this series unique is this sterile, dystopic society that kills its own children."

You are right about the dystopic society being the interesting part of the show. Conversely, it's the part of the show I dislike the most because I can't take the killing of children, so I like the monster rat stuff better although I do hope for a take down of that dystopic society by series end.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

So wait, your objection to the beach episode is that instead of doing the bog-standard beach-episode antics it...actually did something new? Seriously? Yes it was really, really, REALLY silly, but...thats the point! In fact you seem to have entirely missed the entire core concept of the show.

Please, enlighten me as to the "entire core concept of the show," which I seem to have missed.

Also, the beach episode doesn't really "do anything new." It actually does the same old stuff-- poorly.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
My rankings of the shows I'm watching:
(Excellent tier)
1. Space Brothers - apart from being unfortunately slow, still really great.
2. Polar Bear Café - really, really good lately. Enjoyed Llama and Serika's nostalgic conversation. The lack of visuals depicting their hometown with how strongly you can understand their feelings about it was incredible. Full-time Panda's departure episode was just beautiful.
(Very good tier)
3. Sakurasou - maybe Sakurasou's less interesting for some, but I've been finding it much better-written and having stronger impact in its second cour so far.
4. Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - good, intelligent, jumps around too much.
5. Love Live - the only thing I can say is that I enjoy watching it for the sole reason that it's really well-written. It's like a good version of Tamako Market.
6. Psycho-Pass - cool, interesting. The tweest didn't change my opinion.
7. Shinsekai Yori - really liking it at the moment. The tension in episode 18 was palpable. It's been a long time since anything had me on the edge of my seat like that.
(Solid tier)
8. Haganai NEXT - solid.
9. Kotoura-san - not as good lately, still solid.
10. Sasami-san - really good but kind of all over the place (and no, I don't mean that the plot is confusing, because it isn't).
11. GJ-bu - I enjoy every episode more. Great characters, excellent interaction.
(Meh tier)
12. Tamako Market - decent characters, good visuals, excellent ED, decent slice-of-life antics... It doesn't help that I don't really like any of the characters, especially not Tamako.
13. AKB0048 - still silly, still enjoyable. Melodrama making a welcome return.
14. Vividred - I wish all of Vividred were as good as the second episode. It had the best action and the strongest and funniest character interaction. The beach episode was extremely silly and fun, I really enjoyed it. I can follow your criticism of the show, but I honestly don't get what turned you off about the beach episode. It was funny, silly and different, and it continued developing Homura, as well as just having fun character interaction.
15. Mondaiji-tachi - flawed, but a ton of fun every week.
16. Bakamatsu Gijinden Roman - I'm still not really sure. It's not bad in any way, it's just... not really great.
17. OreShura - not much to say here, I find Chiwa's story rather well-done, but every other character increasingly irritating and clichéd, as well as the harem antics.
(Crap tier)
18. Amnesia - good atmosphere, crap everything else. Not enough belts.
19. Hakkenden - mehhhhhhh.
20. Senran Kagura - crap.

Last edited by jymmy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
I didn't dislike that mother/daughter scene in Chihayafuru at all, but I definitely felt like it didn't really...earn itself, so to speak. We just haven't seen hardly anything of how Chihaya's family treats her, good or bad, so I couldn't feel all that good about it.

I also think Pet Girl of Sakurasou has only gotten better. I almost dropped it earlier on, but I've been much more invested in recent episodes.

Oh well.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Also, it has a main character who attempts to capture someone by destroying a god-damn clocktower and letting the rubble fall on his target.

To me, that part just seemed out of place. Why did he have to cause so much chaos and destruction (maybe even risk some people's lives) just to win a bet? If the show was more over-the-top, something like that would have been a lot cooler, IMO.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
I guess am one of the few that A doesn't feel the swift was that dramatic in Kotoura-san and B) does not mind and dare I say likes the twist about sybli system in psycho-pass. spoiler[(I go by it takes one to know one and who know better then someone who is nuts to say how nuts someone is)]Or C) have a problem with the pacing and time skips in mayou

I have been liking love live quite a bit especially Nico her running gag is hilarious I think. The show has lost some of it's initial charm but it is still going very strong I think

I went from really liking problem children to dropping it after episode 5. for two main reasons Izayoi apparently is grey sue (far more then kiriro, yes I just went there) B) the party scene were they start making wishes off the failing remains of the community they had just defeated, was supper off putting and put a bad taste in my mouth not sure entirely why but it did.

I am still very much in love with sakurasou it's very nice to see the payouts start coming in for the characters and I really love jin and our favorite alien finally becoming a real couple and I found it a really mature way of handling the whole matter not to mention our voice actor becoming even closer to actually landing a job.

Vividred I saw three episodes was not impressed and somewhat put off by it and knew I general hate the writing of the person in charge of it can't say I am surprised.

I cried so hard at the brian scene in space brothers it was a major success for the arc as a whole. I also enjoyed some more time with aunt Sharon even though it needed more polish and it was nice to see them get their suits even though the episode was slightly dull and needed more work or to go faster the last episode though was really boring I thought, nothing happened at all it felt like though I did enjoy the prank that was played and the lesson to learn from it

I am liking robotics; notes a lot more then stein;s gate personally and these episodes are just compounding why. this is really gripping stuff all most all around.

My roommate still loves from the new world and I got my mom into chihyafuru and she now loves it the latest episodes have been either epic or just plain really strong thank the lord this got a season 2

finally Tamako Market which I like but I am putting on hold because I want to know that dera (my favorite character) does not kill the show some how.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
Haven't actually watched any anime this season. I'm so behind.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Also, the beach episode doesn't really "do anything new." It actually does the same old stuff-- poorly.
It being a beach episode's more window dressing - the core of it's entirely Professor's Isshiki's insanity.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
It being a beach episode's more window dressing - the core of it's entirely Professor's Isshiki's insanity.

Also how the putative villain of the piece (Rei) is hilariously heroic.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 am Reply with quote
Why does no one see the point of Vividred? 'The plot sucks' isn't really a flaw in a show that doesn't try to have a plot. 'Too much fanservice' isn't a flaw in an echhi show. 'It's too ridiculous' isn't a flaw in a show that aims to be completely ridiculous. For God sake guys. You're watching cartoons. Sometime they're just not meant to be taken seriously.

Vividred is probably the only show which I've watched that delivers everything it promises without fault. Sure I've watched better shows, but for what it is, it's absolutely perfect. It's literally the only anime I would describe as perfect.

Dropped Kotoura-san. The drama was good until they decided that character development should be thrown out in favour of more forced drama. I absolutely adored this show until I realised in episode 4 that I actually hated pretty much everything about it.

Oreshura Isn't terrible, but the humour is really hit and miss. It's just another harem/romantic comedy. No hook whatsoever. A self aware harem? How completely original! I've never seen that before. Well, at least it's better than having a great hook and not using it right like Kotoura-San

Dropped Tamako Market. Huge KyoAni fan but this show and Chuunibyou from last season disappointed me so much. They feel like mediocre rip offs of their previous shows rather than something actually made by them.

Really far behind in Sasami-San and Maoyu. Have to put them on hold because of the limited bandwidth that curses us Aussies.

Haganai NEXT continues to impress me every episode with it's hilarious writing and hints at a more serious plot line. Whether it's dirty sex humour or geniunely witty humour, they hit the mark almost every time.

Psycho Pass is great. Probably the best currently airing show. I hope Urobutcher can pull of a nice ending because it's getting really complicated. The animation dropped in episode 17 and 18, but hopefully they're just saving their budget for the finale.

Love Live Isn't a masterpiece, but it's good fun. That's pretty much all I have to say about the show.

It's been an alright Season. But it's not nearly good enough to divert my attention from the amazing shows that come next season.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote
well give winter anime i got watching

boku next - well still same give bit some develop going yet still same.

maoyu - 2/3 of it in yea give hmm yea wonder more on it & if ready to dub?

ore kanejo - well give still going on give masuzu is still a troll to watch.

senran - yea give showing well with now last 3rd to go on it to watch even ready for Funi-service dub on it.

kotoura - indeed thing get well & fun to watch just still drama with deal kotoura's "her" to deal with looking to see how it ends.

gi-bu - yea slice life now there a green dekomori to watch on it.

mondaiji - yea we got another main guy like BOSS level really with being 10eps either plan of s2 coming or more bunny to watch.

vivid - strike witches of future as power rangers series give now in mid-point yea indeed wonder how it goes?
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:20 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Why does no one see the point of Vividred? 'The plot sucks' isn't really a flaw in a show that doesn't try to have a plot. 'Too much fanservice' isn't a flaw in an echhi show. 'It's too ridiculous' isn't a flaw in a show that aims to be completely ridiculous. For God sake guys. You're watching cartoons. Sometime they're just not meant to be taken seriously.

Having a crappy plot is a criticism that doesn't apply to some comedies and some slice of life shows. It totally applies to a sci-fi magical girl show - where the plot is obviously defending the Incarnate Engine from the Alone and Homura's subplot. It's not silly enough for the acquisition of additional Vivids to be really justified, but the show's lighthearted and fun enough that that you don't care.

Basically, "but it's not trying to have a plot" is a cop-out. If they'd said "Akane, as the central Vivid, your innate powers of friendship can unlock three further Keys" or something, that would have justified it (... enough, probably). As Bamboo said in the article, the way they suddenly doubled their forces with no difficulty is a flaw in the writing. Vividred's plot is silly enough for its tone and genre but not as well-done as it could be.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Basically, "but it's not trying to have a plot" is a cop-out. If they'd said "Akane, as the central Vivid, your innate powers of friendship can unlock three further Keys" or something, that would have justified it (... enough, probably). As Bamboo said in the article, the way they suddenly doubled their forces with no difficulty is a flaw in the writing. Vividred's plot is silly enough for its tone and genre but not as well-done as it could be.
As I recall, when he said only Akane could use it, he was talking about the first key; he never said anything about the number of keys she could make for other people - or even that she could). He didn't actually say only Akane and Aoi could dock, only that he was sure that their friendship would allow them to do so despite the consequence of spoiler[flowing together](remember, he stated this when spoiler[Aoi's tomato hangup was stopping them from doing so]).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7