• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADK, 6 Anime Firms to Launch Overseas Streaming Site Daisuki

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
We'll, they're starting with some heavy hitters in Japan, but how big are 0079 and Prince of Tennis in the West really? Popular in Japan doesn't always translate.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
Seriously, how many countries does "Overseas" mean? It's a little annoying that they're already releasing a list of titles and a launching date, but no regional specification. I want to know if I'm not wasting my time by keeping track of this project, in other words, if I should be excited for this or if I should just move on with my life and stick to good ol' piracy -which, apart from some lousy translation and horrible spelling, has never betrayed me so far.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
PoT has fans in the west - trust me. Wink

How much will this new site conflict with Crunchyroll, Hulu, Funimation and VizAnime? This seems to have come out of nowhere and fast. Shocked
burnpsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
How much will this new site conflict with Crunchyroll, Hulu, Funimation and VizAnime? This seems to have come out of nowhere and fast. Shocked

I'm more curious as to the state of the overlapping licenses.
dago2682

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Seriously, how many countries does "Overseas" mean? It's a little annoying that they're already releasing a list of titles and a launching date, but no regional specification. I want to know if I'm not wasting my time by keeping track of this project, in other words, if I should be excited for this or if I should just move on with my life and stick to good ol' piracy -which, apart from some lousy translation and horrible spelling, has never betrayed me so far.

hopefully this is going to be worldwide as is going to be run directly by the japanese companies.

It would not make any sense if they (content license owners) region lock their own content.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

Are there even any overlapping licenses? They retain full control of the product, and probably have provisions in all their contracts that would allow them to do something like this.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

Considering this is partially owned by the actual anime companies, it seems logical to assume they'll stop licensing to US sites once their user base is solid. Or even before I guess, to get people to use the "only option". Honestly, I'd be happy if this happened to CR. Their low quality, fake/upscaled "HD", terrible player, and their startup story still bothers me to this day.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine the people at Crunchy are feeling too happy about these recent developments right now. If this service is successful, they may lose all their support since Japanese companies won't have to bother with a middleman.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I can't imagine the people at Crunchy are feeling too happy about these recent developments right now. If this service is successful, they may lose all their support since Japanese companies won't have to bother with a middleman.

Well, they're gonna need speedy and responsive customer service if they're dealing with paying customers. They're going to need HD* streams, that's a must. They cannot possibly think to compete by offering up SD, that would be insulting. At least to me. They're going to need competent subs, no constant grammar mistakes or really awkward spelling. And they're going to definitely need a wider audience than the US and a few other select countries. They've gotta try to hit the entire Anglosphere but still allow the rest of the world access. Now they're competing with fansubs and CrunchyRoll for dollars and views. I wonder what happens to new simulcasts?

*Obviously, old stuff is exempt.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
burnpsy wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

Are there even any overlapping licenses? They retain full control of the product, and probably have provisions in all their contracts that would allow them to do something like this.

Yes, their contracts with Crunchyroll et al. would have to be non-exclusive at least as to the stated properties (One Piece, Prince of Tennis, etc.). Actually, I don't think Crunchyroll is currently streaming any of these series, but I think Prince of Tennis is streaming on VizAnime and Amazon on Demand and maybe Hulu as well.

I guess we'll have to wait for more details on Daisuki. Do they really have all 400+ episodes of One Piece "ready to go" for April?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Considering this is partially owned by the actual anime companies, it seems logical to assume they'll stop licensing to US sites once their user base is solid.

Logic didn't stop Aniplex from licensing Fate/Zero to Crunchyroll on a one-week delay back when Nico Nico was trying to make its foray into America.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
Hhhnng. I'm having a hard time being optimistic about this. I can't help but imagine the subs for Digimon 02/Tamers and the like....and the fact that they are pimping our Madoka and One Piece, huge series that have already been simulcast...maybe it will be the same translations and such as the hulu versions but still leaves a weird taste in my mouth.

If they can get some older stuff that hasn't been seen in NA, or is out of print or whatever, this would be GREAT and Id love to try it, but right now it's looking like it's trying to knock out the competition.

Of course this is the first look at something that was announced TODAY, so it might end up being a lot better than the first impression. Just have to wait and see.
Zump

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
We'll, they're starting with some heavy hitters in Japan, but how big are 0079 and Prince of Tennis in the West really? Popular in Japan doesn't always translate.

So.... I guess they didn't learn anything from trying to force 0079 on U.S. anime fans back when Wing proved to be a hit on Toonami? Don't get me wrong, I think 0079 is a far better show story and character-wise, but the rough dated animation is a turnoff for a lot of fans.
TD912

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
burnpsy wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

Considering this is partially owned by the actual anime companies, it seems logical to assume they'll stop licensing to US sites once their user base is solid. Or even before I guess, to get people to use the "only option". Honestly, I'd be happy if this happened to CR. Their low quality, fake/upscaled "HD", terrible player, and their startup story still bothers me to this day.

Crunchyroll was basically bought out by TV Tokyo, and they turned the site legit.

Anime still isn't produced in 1080p "Full HD", only around 720p, so you're not going to get any better quality from other sites. The studios upscale their own work to a 1080i master to prepare it for TV broadcast. Because CR generally uses the same master copy as the TV stations, they do a simple conversion of the 1080i video to 1080p, 720p, 480p, and 360p and stream that.

So the studios are the ones doing the upscaling, and CR makes the upscale available anyway even though there is not much of an improvement in video quality.

Yes, this means even the video on new Blu-ray disc releases have been upscaled! But they don't look bad because it's not like an huge upscale from 480p SD to 1080p HD, it's only a small one from 720p. And they might look better from a CR stream because the studio may have done some last-minute fixes to the animation (think SHAFT) and because a Blu-ray can hold more data (and thus more detail) than an average internet connection can stream.

Anyway, I have reservations about yet another site becoming available for streaming. I'm happy with my CR account, and don't mind other legal ways to view anime, but I hope it doesn't affect shows on the many other sites already available.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
Zump wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

So.... I guess they didn't learn anything from trying to force 0079 on U.S. anime fans back when Wing proved to be a hit on Toonami? Don't get me wrong, I think 0079 is a far better show story and character-wise, but the rough dated animation is a turnoff for a lot of fans.

I know it's the Gundam in Japan and always has been, but it's never achieved that status here. Not the TV series, as pretty much anyone in the know recommending Gundam will direct you to the movie compilations instead. They are better. If this can follow up with Zeta and Double Zeta, that'd be special.

Since Sunrise is involved, maybe this will be how they get Metal Armor Dragonar, Blue Compet SPT Layzner, Heavy Metal L-Gaim, Fang of the Sun Dougram, Mecha Combat Xabungle, Space Runaway Ideon, Panzer World Galient, and more to the west, including the long lost Aura Battler Dunbine and Armored Trooper VOTOMS that never sold well here. And those are only the ones I know off the top of my head, Sunrise has tons of other mecha anime that aren't at all subbed in the west.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5