• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADK, 6 Anime Firms to Launch Overseas Streaming Site Daisuki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
I'd have to get more details on this to form an opinion whether this is bound to be another failure in North America like NicoNico was or whether this is something to reach out to Europe(and Canada for Viz titles) to cover streaming of shows that aren't streamed in the UK, France or Australia.

Crunchyroll has gotten delayed streams before when NicoNico had the first week exclusive and Crunchyroll started a week(or a few weeks in the case of the Idolm@ster) late. For all we know, Crunchyroll may be an involved party.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
This has the potential to be amazing. The streaming data could allow titles that would otherwise never be licensed for home release be given a chance. I'd assume that current titles licensed wouldn't be too much of an issue, as long as licensing money is in the right place.

Here's to hoping Conan has another life!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

Yes, their contracts with Crunchyroll et al. would have to be non-exclusive at least as to the stated properties (One Piece, Prince of Tennis, etc.). Actually, I don't think Crunchyroll is currently streaming any of these series, but I think Prince of Tennis is streaming on VizAnime and Amazon on Demand and maybe Hulu as well.

I guess we'll have to wait for more details on Daisuki. Do they really have all 400+ episodes of One Piece "ready to go" for April?

CR had most of the Gundam just couple months ago. They have to took damn all the Gundam . I don't think they will steam all the one OP episodes at the beginning. Just start with the latest eps, then add more later. Americans companies don't have exclusive stream right to most anime.especially aniplex titles, you can watch them every where.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
I kinda hope there's some form of centralized venue for dubs too. Prefer if there was some centralized way to access them instead of being balkanized into Funi's elite or Viz's Neon Alley or the table scraps thrown on Hulu.

Have to wonder though, what inspire them to make this venture? I thought over the past several years anime distributors have zero'd in on exclusively focusing on the domestic (that is, Japanese) market.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:27 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
burnpsy wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
How much will this new site conflict with Crunchyroll, Hulu, Funimation and VizAnime? This seems to have come out of nowhere and fast. Shocked

I'm more curious as to the state of the overlapping licenses.

Considering this is partially owned by the actual anime companies, it seems logical to assume they'll stop licensing to US sites once their user base is solid. Or even before I guess, to get people to use the "only option". Honestly, I'd be happy if this happened to CR. Their low quality, fake/upscaled "HD", terrible player, and their startup story still bothers me to this day.

CR now has the best quality and the best player by far, considering it's the same damn process as fansubs! i.e. x264 and softsubs. They also get whatever the studios give them, which at times looks even better than the TV transport stream. Also, that all shows are produced in 720p is a myth. Some actually have assets (character cells, various objects, etc) greater than 720p and up to 1080p (where the background is usually 1080p).
Scherzo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
Err, just because the assets in the show are high fidelity doesn't mean the actual show is presented in that fidelity.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:20 am Reply with quote
As long as by "overseas" they don't just mean "America".
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
Well, Viz only has the first 50 of the 178 episodes of Prince of Tennis, and none of the 20+ OVA episodes. Episodes 80-155 of Lupin the III part 2, and all of Lupin the III part 3 aren't available here, so if the full run of all shows mentioned in the article are available, that's a chunk of previously unavailable content. Plus, I would assume that being a Japanese service, the correct OPs and EDs would be in place for Prince of Tennis, one of the most annoying issues with the domestic DVD and stream release.

I want to be optimistic about the whole thing until we hear otherwise. There are a ton of great back catalog things I'd love to see that have no current legal availability, as well as several shows each season that still aren't streamed. The second or third round of available titles should tell us a lot more than the first.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
But where is "overseas", exactly? Rather than compete with / screw over Crunchyroll / Funimation / The Anime Network in North America, this would be far more interesting if it means Japan is finally tackling their world problem, and that this service will be aimed at Europe, South America, Australasia, etc.

Obviously, with all the languages involved, that'd be a much bigger effort, but there's probably more money being left on the table there than in America where Crunchy only hit 100,000 paying subscribers last September, and dislodging Crunchy/Funi/TAN now would be a long ugly battle that might turn some paying fans back to piracy.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
Since this includes simulcasting I'm gonna go on a limb and say they probably more or less mean worldwide with this thing in which case...R.I.P. Crunchyroll Anime cry

Still curious how it'll affect R1 licensing (if it does at all). I know the companies simulcasting stuff has made licensing and release turnarounds faster these days, but if they aren't the ones simulcasting this stuff over here anymore I wonder how much that would slow down the process...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
On the positive side, some of these titles, such as One Piece have not had any streaming presence I am aware of outside of the United States and Canada. If this addresses that problem for some titles, so much the better.

As we saw with NicoNico.com, even a company that has experience with streaming doesn't necessarily guarantee everything will go smoothly out of the box, so I am certainly not expecting the international Hulu of anime from day one.

The most I am hoping for from this is some titles that aren't currently available, and for some titles that were previously unavailable except for the US and Canada to be available to fellow anime fans in other countries, all without messing too much with the good aspects of what we have now.

Just to put things in perspective, while CR passed 100,000 paid subscribers earlier this year, in the same news article they also reported "more than 8 million registered users worldwide".

Even if almost 5/8 of those were unused accounts or people that only visit the forums, this company is basically aiming to do in five years what CR is already doing.

Kougeru wrote:

Considering this is partially owned by the actual anime companies, it seems logical to assume they'll stop licensing to US sites once their user base is solid. Or even before I guess, to get people to use the "only option". Honestly, I'd be happy if this happened to CR. Their low quality, fake/upscaled "HD", terrible player, and their startup story still bothers me to this day.

Aniplex may continue to license to CR, as they have shown a tendency to want to spread their shows around to multiple outlets.

I would also expect that publishers that have relationships with existing companies like CR, Funimation, Sentai, etc. would be loathe to give those up right away on an unproven platform.

We also have yet to hear any plans about the delivery mechanism. Given your complaints about CR's video and player, I can only imagine how you would react if this streaming is relegated to 360p.

TD912 wrote:

Crunchyroll was basically bought out by TV Tokyo, and they turned the site legit.

TV Tokyo has a minority investment in Crunchyroll:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-25/crunchyroll-gets-us$750000-investment-by-tv-tokyo

That also occurred over a year after CR went legit.

The majority stake of CR is held by the venture capital firm Venrock (which in 2008 invested over $4 million).
miken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
yay! that's finally a good chance for a legal streaming service without country blocking. i don't care if it's english subs only, just don't block it anymore...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Since this includes simulcasting I'm gonna go on a limb and say they probably more or less mean worldwide with this thing in which case...R.I.P. Crunchyroll ;_;

We'll see. Crunchyroll's demise was predicted when Funico was announced, and look how that turned out. Maybe we shouldn't automatically assume that Japanese companies can live up to their hype.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Since this includes simulcasting I'm gonna go on a limb and say they probably more or less mean worldwide with this thing in which case...R.I.P. Crunchyroll Anime cry

We'll see. Crunchyroll's demise was predicted when Funico was announced, and look how that turned out. Maybe we shouldn't automatically assume that Japanese companies can live up to their hype.

Well in this case it's not really about hype. All they would effectively have to do is proritize giving new simulcasts to this site over CR (which is likely to happen for each of the companies backing this) and CR would be in for some serious trouble in the future.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote
if they bring this over to game consoles or Roku like Crunchyroll and it has a good video player then Crunchyroll should be worried then
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5