• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - Rockin' Out

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:05 am Reply with quote
Rock, techno and bagpipe music? Egods, that sounds like the incredibly strange band from Europe, In Extremo! Heavy metal with harps and bagpipes...talk about strange. Good stuff, tho'.

So, Jonathan, you're telling me that it wasn't Masami Okui who performed "Virtual Hasseigaku?" I'm heartbroken over this. She rocks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:05 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
Rock, techno and bagpipe music? Egods, that sounds like the incredibly strange band from Europe, In Extremo! Heavy metal with harps and bagpipes...talk about strange. Good stuff, tho'.

Yes, it sounds strange until you actually pick up the anime. If you read the most recent Sound Decision review, columnist Jonathan Mays had this to say about the Heat Guy J soundtrack CD:

Quote:
I never thought I'd say this, but I think TRYFORCE would've been perfect for Cowboy Bebop. Sure, you can't beat Kanno's talents, but this stuff's louder, cooler, and it knocks a little harder. There's an unmistakable middle eastern flare here, a great launching pad for a drum slammin', guitar jammin' good time. Think Three Kings, and you've got it.

I still don't know why people don't like Heat Guy J, though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:14 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
So, Jonathan, you're telling me that it wasn't Masami Okui who performed "Virtual Hasseigaku?" I'm heartbroken over this. She rocks!

True, but there's nothing wrong with Kikuko Inoue, either. In fact, the vocals are just fine from top to bottom. The problem lies entirely with those awful remixes. Rarely are they in the right key, and the whole soundtrack sounds like it was filtered through a karaoke machine.

-Jonathan
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:31 am Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Iron Chef wrote:

True, but there's nothing wrong with Kikuko Inoue, either. In fact, the vocals are just fine from top to bottom. The problem lies entirely with those awful remixes. Rarely are they in the right key, and the whole soundtrack sounds like it was filtered through a karaoke machine.

-Jonathan

OMG!! I have that cd..so bad...I use it as a coaster now.. listened to it once and I thought my ears wear gonna bleed...yeah the remixes are so bad...and her vocals would be good if the awful music didn't just drown her out...
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:46 am Reply with quote
I've known the Animetoonz CD was bad ever since Animerica reviewed it a couple of years ago. I'm glad I didn't waste money on that disc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:24 pm Reply with quote
My instinct is usually to avoid anything with deliberate misspellings in the title. So far, that has helped me to dodge many a bullet.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I ordered the Animetoonz CD from HMV.com about 2 years back, assuming it would be Kikuko Inoue singing cover versions of the theme songs from various anime like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Escaflowne with techno-fied versions of the instrumentals. And, well... Kikuko Inoue has a lovely voice, and the instrumentals sure are techno... just... you know... I was kinda expecting the instrumentals to actually have the same overall melody as the instrumentals in the original versions of the songs, but, instead, it sounds as though Kikuko Inoue is in a karaoke bar singing along to the lyrics on a television, but they accidentally put in a "Bad Generic Techno PlayStation background music collection" CD instead.

I listened to it once and put it on my CD tower... and I forgot I had it entirely until I spotted a pink CD spine and thought to myself "Hello, what's this?"

It is a perfect test CD, though, by which I mean you intentionally scratch it just to test out some CD scratch remedy like holding it in boiling water for 30 seconds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It is a perfect test CD, though, by which I mean you intentionally scratch it just to test out some CD scratch remedy like holding it in boiling water for 30 seconds.

I must remember that one.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

o_O Wow, does that work? I'm almost tempted to go through all my crappy CDs and DVDs and test out this lovely method. *pulls out Crying Freeman*
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Tyler Durden on the Anime Nation board (one of the older, wiser members) swears by it. Of course, I do remember the "real" Tyler Durden in Fight Club encouraging his followers to go to Blockbuster and erase all the videotapes with demagnetizers, so I don't know if someone that uses his name as a user I.D. can be trusted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:18 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

That sounds even cooler than using WD-40 or Turtle Wax! I'm SO busting out some of my bad CDs to try that method. Fannnnnnn-tastic!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1